A90J and G1 peak brightness updated - 3 second boost

Good post !
“Is it worth the cost?”
Cost has never been a factor for me. Just has not. What has always been the “hold-back” is poor upconversion. Never comfortable with what upconversion did to 2K broadcast live sports.
Maybe 2021 and the beautiful A90J. And a more modest size might look better with that upconversion. Sure 77” or 82” would look spectacular with 4K HDR.

Upscaling on the LG is right on par with Sony...I've also owned Sony oleds. However the Sony price justification from the fan boys will always portray the LG as if it were garbage...its their money though so can't argue with that. IMHO a smart savy buyer will take their time and weigh whether or not the Sony is actually worth that premium. I don't.

Upscaling on the LG is right on par with Sony...I've also owned Sony oleds. However the Sony price justification from the fan boys will always portray the LG as if it were garbage...its their money though so can't argue with that. IMHO a smart savy buyer will take their time and weigh whether or not the Sony is actually worth that premium. I don't.
Up scaling on LG is meant to be a nice step up this year from last year, motion is said to be improved also.
c1 77 is high on my list, right next to the a80j 77 :facepalm:

Up scaling on LG is meant to be a nice step up this year from last year, motion is said to be improved also.
c1 77 is high on my list, right next to the a80j 77 :facepalm:

I think the 77C1 is a very nice surprise to me in some very important categories such as near blacks, uniformity and processing especially compared to previous oleds.

It reminds me of the jump between the C7 and the C8.

I think the 77C1 is a very nice surprise to me in some very important categories such as near blacks, uniformity and processing especially compared to previous oleds.

It reminds me of the jump between the C7 and the C8.

You are a board member that has owned a considerable amount of 4K/OLED panels.
Please speak to your impression of my #1 concern- upconversion of 2K/720p/1080i live broadcast programming (compared to a “quality” 2K panel). Most folks, speaking flat-out frankly & honestly, say that upconversion of 2K/HD to 4K is still not quite as good as straight 2K on 2K.
I appreciate your experience on this.

You are a board member that has owned a considerable amount of 4K/OLED panels.
Please speak to your impression of my #1 concern- upconversion of 2K/720p/1080i live broadcast programming (compared to a “quality” 2K panel). Most folks, speaking flat-out frankly & honestly, say that upconversion of 2K/HD to 4K is still not quite as good as straight 2K on 2K.
I appreciate your experience on this.

For me, the upscaling on the LG is on par with the Sony. Some will probably throw stones at me for that remark.

I watch plenty of sports and movies. Here's the thing though, if you're already used to Sony Processing, you may or may not like LG's. I find them hard to distinguish tbh.

Motion, is subjective and will always be so.

An excellent and very fair question. That would be a “no.” Why? I am STILL in love with my Panasonic plasmas AND I watch a real lot of broadcast/sports (720p and 1080i).
I am a very likely purchaser of a SONY A90J (65”), in July. This might be the year that SONY has finally (almost) accomplished making HD upconversion to 4K as good-looking as my plasmas. Fingers crossed.
(on soapbox: C’mon broadcasters ! Give us some more LIVE 4K). Off soapbox !
Aside from that, getting ready to pull the trigger on a JVC NX-7 (aka RS2000). Of course, not an OLED.
Fwiw sky uhd broadcast of sports is a huge step up from their hd tier. And they've also started to do uhd with hlg HDR on demand TV shows recently too for some of their 'originals.'

I'm only an LG peasant with the G1 but motion on it is a huge step up vs C7 I used to have. In hindsight, looking back the motion on the C7 was bad.

How does the brightness levels on the G1 compares to the A90j? I recently tried out the A90j and I was amazed on how bright it got with HDR/Dolby Vision. The brightest OLED i ever seen. Unluckily I went through three bad panels decided to tried out the Samsung QN90A.... Wow huge mistake! Now I'm thinking about trying the G1 but I'm kinda worried if its not gonna be as bright as the A90j. The only thing that bug me about the a90j is how much it dims when watching sports. Aleast with LG you can adjust the dimming or completely turn it off the static logo dimming feature through its service menu. This probably the only reason would consider the G1 instead of getting a 4th A90j.

I’ve just started a thread on this subject of whether people really can see the differences. I went yesterday perusing the JL TVs and the chap showed me various Sony and LG etc. And I really couldn’t say I could tell the difference in a blind test. If a panel is brighter, than one really should be able to see that and nit just for the most peak moment in some HDR movie. Motion on Sony and LG looked similar on what we looked at. The game I saw did look brighter in the whites for Sony but brighter in colours for LG. A Panasonic did show jittery movement on some rotating vegetables but LG/Sony looked the same.
I would say that Sony demo video did show the set to look beautiful but £1000 more than LG? I don’t think so.

I’ve just started a thread on this subject of whether people really can see the differences. I went yesterday perusing the JL TVs and the chap showed me various Sony and LG etc. And I really couldn’t say I could tell the difference in a blind test. If a panel is brighter, than one really should be able to see that and nit just for the most peak moment in some HDR movie. Motion on Sony and LG looked similar on what we looked at. The game I saw did look brighter in the whites for Sony but brighter in colours for LG. A Panasonic did show jittery movement on some rotating vegetables but LG/Sony looked the same.
I would say that Sony demo video did show the set to look beautiful but £1000 more than LG? I don’t think so.
Motion on a90j is far superior. Good luck comparing them in a store lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom