1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a90-p90

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by clancol, Jul 29, 2004.

1. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone gone the a90-p90 5.1 combo.

I am thinking about this as it looks a good way of getting wonderfull stereo- and enough power for 5.1.

But first a few questions
    Would the performance in movies be as good as the avr300,

How much extra does the upgrades cost, i know the a90 is £850 and the p90 is £550 but how much does it cost to get the 5,1 board(A90) and extra amp (p90).

I would be using my dv79 as the DVD5.1 decoder but is their anyway i could cheaply decode my xbox and sky+5.1 singnals. i.e something to take the optical signal and output it in 5.1 via phono's

And i guess the best bonus would be to buy two p90's, one for the rears and center and the other one to bi amp the fronts.

Has anyone else done this?

d

2. Harbornebloke

Harbornebloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hello there.

I don't know if the A90/DV79 combo will have the same processing power as the AVR300 but it will have a better pre amp stage and probably sound better in stereo.

I have an A85/P85 for the fronts linked to an AVR200/P85/3 for the centre and rears with a B&W CDM speaker system and it sounds fantastic with fine control, ample power and seismic bass. :D

I think that the 5.1 module costs about £300 if bought with the A90, but it is just an input (I think!) so won't be able to decode coax or optical digital inputs. Also as the DV79 will be carrying out the processing you wouldn't be able to use pro logic II for games or TV.

You could possibly buy a cheapish home cinema amp that has preouts for connecting external equipment, but I'm not sure that the 5.1 module has more than one set of inputs.

Hope this is of use to you.

Phil

3. EvilDead

EvilDead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The 7.1 board has 2 sets of inputs so you could run your dv79 into one set and a processor into the other set. I'm pretty sure the 7.1 board is £300 when brought with the amp, or £350 as a retrofit, the P35.3 carried a £200 premium over the P35.2 IIRC.

I have a DV27A with A32 7.1/P35.2/P35.3 and brought this in preference to a AV8/P7. I found musically it had the edge, and although performance with movies wasn't as good (obviously), the difference wasn't as big as I thought it might be.

HTH