1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A85 upgrade

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by LouisB, Mar 24, 2005.

1. LouisB

LouisB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I am currently running an Arcam A85 Diva amp to drive a pair of rather unusual (but rather good) Audes Blues speakers,

Although the sound is great, I am always interested in making an improvement.

I was wondering, if I were to upgrade, what is the best route. To get a P90 power amp and bi-amp the speakers (I think they would like this since they are no tiny shelf speakers) or to change to a different amp altogether,

Is bi-amping a noticable improvement that represents good value for money over other updrade paths?

any thoughts or advice?

thanks,

Louis

2. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I suppose it depends how cheaply you can get your hands on a P90 / P85 (second hand?) but if you have anyway good sized speakers and can bi-amp, it should give you a decent improvement.

I noticed a big difference when I went from just A85 to A85&P85 running my old speakers - MA Silver 9i's.

3. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, this upgrade it really owrth its money, at least with my speakers, the extra amp did wonders. I went from a A85 to A85/P85 on my Monitor Audio GR20 speakers, and the extra amp delivers much better and controlled bass in addition to a strong improvement in the lower midrange. I tried switching back and couldn't believe that I had ever been satisfied with a single A85.

4. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It will only work if you have two sets of connectors per speaker. If you have then remove the jumpers and wire them up with biwire cable. Use the power to drive the low frequencies and the A85 the highs. Did this with my setup and it made a significant difference.

5. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I'm interested in what interconnects you guys are using as I'm relatively new to the Biamp game.

I'm currently running in a VDH the Ultimate Mk11 from my CD192 to the A85 & a Merlin Chopin from the A85 to the P85.

I'm very happy with the upgrade but the bass is still a little lumpy, it could be not having a burnt in IC from the CD player?

I'm looking to audition the VDH 102 Mk3?

Cheers

Matt

6. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My interconnects are Audioquest Vipers, both between A85 and P85 as well as between sacd player and amp.

They sound great I think, but I haven't auditioned a lot, so comparatively I'm not sure.

7. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vandelay,

They don't seem to be available now, they're not on the Audioquest website?

Could you describe thier sound & what esle you've tested?

How much did you pay for them & do you know of any reviews as I'm not familiar with this cable company?

Cheers

Matt