1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A85 Processor Mode - How?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Baltika_no_9, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Baltika_no_9

Baltika_no_9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi folks

Could someone please confirm how I set up my A85 in processor mode so that I can set the gain and use the amp to drive the fronts in my 5.1 set up? There is nothing in the manual and I'm sure I've read here somewhere that I should press "Select" 4 times then cycle through the options. I've done that but the words "Processor Mode" don't appear anywhere. Clearly I am doing something wrong.

If anyone can help I'd very much appreciate it.

Thank you

2. Baltika_no_9

Baltika_no_9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There must be plenty of A85 owners out there, does this amp have a processor mode so that I can fix the gain of the amp when part of a 5.1 set up?

Maybe I've got it wrong then and the A85 doesn't actually support a processor mode.

Can the Arcam guys confirm that? If so I need a new amp.

If I hit Select 4 times and cycle through the options I see:
    Volume Resolution
    Volume Display Mode
    Input Trims
    Tone Control
    Welcome Message
    Phono/Aux Text
    Restore Settings

Do I need to ditch the A85 and get a different 2 channel amp to drive the fronts in a 5.1 set up or am I missing something?

thanks all

3. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm not sure, but I remember hearing that early A85 firmware didn't have processor mode. Could be wrong.

Mine has it, but without looking at the settings I can't remember how you set it up. Connection-wise, you have inputs on the tape-loop IN, and select TAPE as the input source. The display then says "PROC MODE FIXED + vol dB" (or similar). The menu option you're looking for sets the Fixed Volume.

If your A85 doesn't have Proc Mode, you could always use the A85 as a power amp. Next to the pre-outs, mine has inputs to the power stage. There is a recessed blue button next to the connections that turns your A85 into a P85. When selected, your input signal bypasses the pre-amp of the A85 and all volume control etc is via the 5.1 amp. So the end effect is just the same as using PROC Mode.

Again, I don't know if this feature was available on all versions of A85. You would need to re-adjust your speaker levels to account for any differences in gain between the amps. Downside of this is that if you also want to use the A85 as an integrated amp, e.g. for CD playback, you have to flick the button on the back of the amp again to switch the pre-amp back in.

In theory, this approach should be better, as your front signals only goes through one pre-amp, the 5.1 amp. Although also passing through the A85 pre-amp makes no discernable differnence in my setup.

Sorry I can't be more help at the moment. I'll look at my menus tonight and let you know more.

4. Baltika_no_9

Baltika_no_9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dave

Thanks for your response. I didn't realise that there were firmware upgrades to the A85 but mine is certainly lacking the processor mode option and it could be an early one. I'm trying to remember when I bought it and will check tonight.

I'd prefer to keep it as an integrated because I've got the phono upgrade in there but yours is a good point about turning it into effectively a P85.

If you're able to confirm the presence of the processor mode on yours that would be great.

If it is a firmware issue where do I get that from??

Thanks and regards

5. ruben20

ruben20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My A32 is equipped with proc mode. When I press the tape button on the remote it turn into a fixed position. The display switches to Fix. proc and a volume level. The a32 is also equipped with the "blue" button. So the one function doesn't exclude the other. The tape button is strange, but I think that is the one.

6. Baltika_no_9

Baltika_no_9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ruben thanks.

According to the manual for the A90 there is a similar funciton to that on your A32 which I why I find it hard to understand why it isn't on the A85.

Cheers

7. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    There are some good threads on this, you need 2.2 software version on the A85 and you use the tape which shows fixed proc once it is set up through the menu. I have it set to -12.5 on my A85 with the front pre-outs from my AVR100. A search will reveal all the details required, I got the information from them, the manual doesn't include it in mine but the a90 manual does I believe but the threads give more detail. If you can't find the information let me know and I'll search through when I have more time and give you a step by step guide - it is quite easy but you definitely need 2.2 version software.

8. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    To find your firmware version press the Phono Tuner and DVD buttons together.

9. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Baltika you will need a firmware upgrade. I think your amp will need to go back to Arcam for that - I had mine done when a 7.1 board was fitted.
    The new firmware will add processor mode. You will lose the ability to turn on the amp by pressing a source select button on the remote, only the power button will turn it on.

10. Baltika_no_9

Baltika_no_9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys that you very much for your help and advice. My firmware is version 1.3
    so I'll see if I can get the dealer to upgrade this for me.

Thanks again, very much appreciated

11. Baltika_no_9

Baltika_no_9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Took the amp back to the dealer to get the firmware upgraded from 1.3 to 2.2 or later however they need to send it back to Arcam for this to be done which is exactly what SMCC had suggested.

I'll be an unhappy boy without my amp but when it comes back it should have the processor mode option I need.

Are there any significant changes I can expect with this firmware upgrade?

Thanks again everyone for your help on this quest!

Cheers