1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A85 - how loud do you go?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Vanderlay, Mar 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently moved and in the new and larger room, I have to turn up the volume more to get the same sound level. Before, I rarely had my A85/P85 setup (biamped on MA GR20s) above -30dB or -26dB at the absolute max, but now I probably need to squeeze some more power out of it.

I have no idea how much the amps can handle. Should I be concerned at all by yanking it up at -20dB or even a bit more? Or is that completely impossible to say?

I know it depends on the sensitivity of the speaker, but still, I was curious to know at what level other A85-users play.

2. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Technically, from what i understand you are ok to keep turning it up until the sound starts distorting (either from the amp clipping or the speaker cones reaching their maximum excursion).. personally i've had my a80 up to 62ish out of 72.. not sure what the equivalent would be for you but i had no problems at that level and wouldn't want to push it any louder for the sake of my ears.

Certainly at home our living room is much larger than my room at uni and i have to play it about 10db louder to get approx the same volume! So imo i dont think you should worry unless you want the additional headroom for parties or something

3. ruben20

ruben20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The arcam scale is uniform to the amps I think. My a32 frequently runs at 65 of 68 of 72. Without distorting or clipping. I gues the a85 should be capable of that too. Depending on the source, that is quite loud and not veru comfortable to my ears anymore. :clap: