1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A85 Amplifier Question

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by JH1, Oct 4, 2004.

1. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Arcam A85 amplifier and have a question relating to the display, in the area where it indicates the source you are listening to.

In normal operation if you have "CD" selected, normally it will just display "CD", if you then press "AV" to listen to the AV source it will then display "AV" and nothing else.

I recently saw another A85 where the display has shown 2 sources on at the same time ie: "TAPE" and "CD", one displayed under the other. I assumed this was something to do with a tape recording/monitoring facility, however have just hooked up a tape player to my amp with a separate tape in and record out line to the tape machine. I then selected CD and pressed record on the tape. I expected I could then monitor the recording by selecting "TAPE" on the amplifier and this would then allow me to monitor the recording itself. It did allow me to monitor the recording but the display changed to "TAPE" only and does not show "CD" in the display aswell, as I expected it might.

This is not a problem at all, it just makes me curious as to why I have seen another A85 indicating 2 sources on the display at the same time??????

If this makes sense to anyone, can you tell me why I have seen an A85 showing 2 sources at one time??? :confused:

Thanx.

2. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could be a different firmware version, if you press a combination of three input select buttons down on the front panel you can discover your firmware version. (I can't remember which ones, but I can find out if you're interested.)

There have been a couple of changes (at least one bug fix) to do with the A85's behaviour when jogging the volume knob in tape vs. proc input modes. They may have changed the display behaviour in tape monitoring modes at the same time.

Charles.

3. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Charles,

I've learnt something new today! I didn't know that there were any bug fixes for the A85. If you are able to find out the combination of source buttons so I can test the firmware version, that maybe helpful, as my amp may not have the bug fix?? Next question is how will I know if I am likely to need the bug fix and if so, how do I do it???

Jason

4. ozturk

ozturk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...And I think there is also different hardware versions of A85. For example, the one I own has BFA type speaker terminals, but the one my friend owns has banana type speaker terminals. Has anyone noticed this difference and do you know which hardware version is recent? I am also wondering the button combinations to test the firmware version.

Kerim.

5. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm, I think you're right. I think the banana version is a more recent vesion to the older BFA version. However according to this old thread there has only been one circuit design so I reckon that apart from the speaker connections the two revisions are otherwise identical:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36147

The buttons to press are "PHONO/AUX" "TUNER" and "DVD". Hold them down simultaneously.

You almost certainly won't need the bug fix unless you are using the A85 in av AV setup with an AV processor or receiver and have already noticed it. The bug (and fix) is described in this old thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33673

Thanks,

Charles.

6. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Charles