1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A85/A90 & AVR300 remote compatibility

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by SMCC, Jun 12, 2004.

1. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice that both the AVR300 and my existing A85 use remote code 16. does this mean that if I buy an AVR300 every time I use the remote to change source / volume etc. both amps will respond? Has anyone tried this yet?
    (I was planning on buying an AVR300 but retaining the A85 for sereo duties as I think it sounds better than the AVR300 in 2-ch mode)

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

It is possible to change the remote code used by the A85 (depending on how old it is).

To do this hold down the DVD - CD - AV buttons on the front panel. (note: do not use the remote control)

You will be told the current system code, this will be 16. (if you are not, your A85 does not have this feature)

Using the volume knob you can change between 16 and 19. Set it to 19 then press enter to come out of the menu.

The A85 (or A90 or A32 or A80) will now only respond to system code 19 (meaning obviously your current remote control will not work)

You will need a programable remote such as a pronto if you want independent remote control of both the AVR300 and the A85. The CR80 does have a system code 19 option which you can select for the AUX device using code 1213 as shown on page 27 of the CR80 manual. However this was setup for the AV8 Zone 2 and I don't know how well it will work for a A85 (the AVR300 does not have this feature).

Best Regards,
    Andrew

3. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for prompt response Andy. I'm very impressed Arcam thought to include this feature in the amps' software. Unfortunately my A85 won't play ball but I shall speak to customer support about the possibility of a software upgrade. In that case I think the AVR300 will do nicely. Now where's my chequebook?

4. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, what is the remote setup code for the AVR300? I am using a Motorola cable box and would like to use their remote (General Instrument) to control my AVR300. However, Arcam is not listed in their set-up code list. Thanks, in advance.

5. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The AVR300 uses RC5 system code 16. This is the standard Preamplifer control code for Philips RC5 products so if you can find a philips preamp in the list you will probably get at least some of the commands. It is unlikely that you will get a set of commands that will work well though as the AVR300 has many more features than the average preamp.

Regards,
    Andrew

6. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A good alternative is to use a decent learning/programmable remote, rather than a universal remote that limits you to imbedded pre-programmed device codes.

I use the Home Theater Master MX-700. Although on the expensive side, it's well worth it since I can have everything setup exactly as I want it, and can change setup easily via software on my laptop. It also makes my HT system very wife friendly.

BTW: if anyone has one of these (MX700/800), I have the complete set of discrete codes for the AVR300 and DV88+ in a MX-700 file and am happy to share it on request.

Dean

7. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My remote requires a four digit code. Does that mean the correct code is 1216?

8. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    No sorry, that code is only valid for the CR80 remote control. You will have to search for a philips compatible code but as I said you may not get very good functionality from it.

Regards, Andrew

9. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Andy!

10. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Agreed. And it's even more impressive to have one of their engineers hang out here and share the info.

11. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not just one of their engineers, but the AVR300 Lead at that.

Andrew was really great about answering a lot of questions for me during the four months I waited for the 300 to be released. And John Dawson was really good about helping me with questions about the SiI504 PS upgrade for my DV88+.

It adds a lot of value to owning Arcam knowing that John and Andrew hang out here to answer questions.

12. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    It was one of the reasons I went for an Arcam AV50 and then Alpha 10 DAVE (actually, that was when John used to hang round the newsgroups - dunno if he still does or not, as I gave up on them ages ago - too much noise).

Cheers,
    Liam

13. BLS

BLS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also own an A85 and am concerned about clashing remotes so this is very interesting!

So if I change my A85 to RC5 system code 19 how do I program my pronto to use this?

As I understand it the Pronto requires a 4 digit code. Andy says that the Philips Pre-amp code should work for RC5 system code 16 but what about 19?

Is there a way to change to code 19 and still be able to duplicate every button on the arcam remote?

14. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The A90 handbook (on the website) has all of the RC5 codes listed in the back, they are the same for the A85 and A90. All you need to do is change the System code from 16 to 19 and use those codes to program your pronto.

You will need to download the pronto programming tool from their website as well. Setting up all the codes from scratch is not a trivial thing to do but it is possible. Unfortunately we do not have a code set avaiable as normally it is custom install guys that use this feature and they write there own codes for the Pronto.

You could just use a philips code but I don't know of any philips products that use code 19 and it is unlikely that they would have exactly the right command set, its unlikely that the menu navigator would work, for instance.

Sorry I can't be any more help with this.

Regards,
    Andrew

15. BLS

BLS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply Andy.

I should have said that I have a Pronto "Neo" so apparently I can't download the RC5 codes directly. I can of course upgrade to a Pronto or find someone who can download the codes so I can copy them via Point & Press.

However, I tried the CD-DVD-AV press you describe and nothing happens. If I press Tuner-DVD-AV simultaneously I get a "use rotor to adjust debug settings" but I don't think this is what you mean. Does this mean I have a model where I can't change the code? My A85 is only around 18 months old.

Is a software update possible?
    If not, this would be an annoying problem, though I doubt any other manufacturers would care about such a problem, let alone try to help!

Paul

16. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

Unfortunately this means your unit was made pre the software update that allows this to be done. You can get the software updated however as there is not actually anything wrong with your unit this will be chargable upgrade. I don't think its very much, its just to cover the handling costs and the time of the the engineer to take it apart to load the new code as the update connector is internal.

If you contact our customer support department they can tell you how much and how long this will take.

Regards,
    Andrew

17. BLS

BLS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy.