A80J vs C1/G1/B1 Upscaling

1mongus

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey all, which of these would be better for watching lower than 4k res stuff? I'm planning to buy one of these for gaming at a resolution lower than 4k, so which of them looks better in that regard? I've heard the A80J has better upscaling, but the C1 can be bought at 48 inches, so would that look better than the 55 inch A80J? Thanks.

How far away will you be viewing the TV? Generally gaming at 1080p is pretty clear on even a basic 4k TV with poorer upscaling unless you're viewing very close.

At that distance I wouldn't worry about 1080p at all, even on a 55". If you're going to SDR gaming then even the LG A1 may be fine for you, the B1 if you want practically no motion blur at all. If you have HDR use in mind too then consider the LG C1 or A80J. G1 is the premium option if you want better sound, the new type of OLED panel and a bit more brightness for HDR.

Upscaling becomes more important when you are viewing closer to a larger TV, or you are upscaling poorer quality material. Generally gaming in 1080p; for example, from a Nintendo Switch, it's not going to look a lot better on a TV with better upscaling because the source is already pretty good.
Broadcast TV or DVDs though, that's a different matter.

At that distance I wouldn't worry about 1080p at all, even on a 55". If you're going to SDR gaming then even the LG A1 may be fine for you, the B1 if you want practically no motion blur at all. If you have HDR use in mind too then consider the LG C1 or A80J. G1 is the premium option if you want better sound, the new type of OLED panel and a bit more brightness for HDR.

Upscaling becomes more important when you are viewing closer to a larger TV, or you are upscaling poorer quality material. Generally gaming in 1080p; for example, from a Nintendo Switch, it's not going to look a lot better on a TV with better upscaling because the source is already pretty good.
Broadcast TV or DVDs though, that's a different matter.
Cool, thanks for the help. Think I'll go with the 55 B1, couldn't care less for HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom