A80J or LG OLED

Coolbreeze0688

Novice Member
Looking to upgrade my 2012 40 inch Samsung as well as snatch a PS5. I've narrowed it down to two OLEDs at 55 inches and 65 inches. Looking for recommendations!

My Living room will have the PS5 and Apple TV. I consider myself a hardcore gamer with FPS multiplayer games. Thinking of putting the C2 here at 65 inches hopefully around prime day. I also will be using this tv for sports/cable tv watching and some streaming of movies.

My Bedroom will have the 55 inch and will mostly be used for movies mostly. I plan on getting an XSX for casual gaming and hooking it up here to the A80J.

My questions are.. Will the 2021 sony OLEDs or ps5 get VRR soon? I know Sony is better for movies and LG is better for gaming, should I switch the TVs around? How well does the PS5 play with either TV? How is LG OLEDs with movies?

Thanks!

Dodgexander

I think you're on the right track. You'll want to use the LG for gaming in your living room, and not just because of VRR. They have other quality of life features too.
VRR update will come to Sony TVs, no idea on the PS5.

LG is no slouch for movies, Sony is no slouch for games. Both very good TVs and very little between them. Even if you weren't a gamer, there's nothing wrong buying LG for only movies.

I'd recommend against waiting for the C2, especially if you're going to buy before Black Friday. BF is usually the first time to consider purchasing each year due to the hiked prices on new TVs. You'd be better off buying the C1 before then.

Coolbreeze0688

Novice Member
Thanks for the response. My last question is if I was to go for last year's LG OLEDs. Would you recommend the G1 over the C1? The price gap between that and the C1 has shortened a bit and I'm interested in the extra brightness plus the wall mounting this is pretty cool! Thank.

Dodgexander

Depends on the deal. The G1 has a newer type of panel and can get brighter which means it will have better picture quality in HDR mode. It also has better built in sound, but comes without a stand (it comes with wall-mount instead).

TV prices fluctuate a lot, so by the time you buy you may find there's a deal on the C1 but not G1, all depends. The newer models are never worth the price increase, and at that moment could be as much as 50% more than the models from the year before.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
The G1 extra is definitely not worth it for the brightness. You won’t be able to tell the difference. But if you are wall mounting it’s a good option. If you aren’t wall mounting then definitely go C1.

AWEMara

Novice Member
Hey, so my opinion if your debating on going for the new model or to stick with the G1/C1 would be i would stick with the G1/C1 as prices will be higher on the newer models and changes will typically be minor for example processor changes/ higher refresh rate. But as mentioned above prices fluctuate on a regular so the decision is completely up to you. Between the G1 and the C1 it depends on what you plan on using it for and how you want to mount it. Good Luck!

AWEMara

Novice Member
Using it for PS5 gaming 70% and 30% movies

And not gonne mount it. Which would you suggest then?
So i would probably go with the C1 as they both have the same refresh rate and the G1 is popular for its flush wall mount so if you're not mounting it then the G1 would effectively defeat its purpose.

youss88

Novice Member
So i would probably go with the C1 as they both have the same refresh rate and the G1 is popular for its flush wall mount so if you're not mounting it then the G1 would effectively defeat its purpose.
I do read the g1 is a bit better but in other reviews I also read nearly no visible diffetence

With the c1 is this a tv that will last me the coming 3/4 years?

AWEMara

Novice Member
I do read the g1 is a bit better but in other reviews I also read nearly no visible diffetence

With the c1 is this a tv that will last me the coming 3/4 years?
Yes should last you a long while, all LGs come with a 5 year warranty so if anything was to happen you also have that available to use.

mike7

Distinguished Member
Depends on the deal. The G1 has a newer type of panel and can get brighter which means it will have better picture quality in HDR mode. It also has better built in sound, but comes without a stand (it comes with wall-mount instead).

TV prices fluctuate a lot, so by the time you buy you may find there's a deal on the C1 but not G1, all depends. The newer models are never worth the price increase, and at that moment could be as much as 50% more than the models from the year before.
I recently bought a C1 48" that was £160 down on the original price. Some dealers are running low on stock I'm told . Prices may drop further but it's always a gamble at this time of year when manufacturers switch to new models.

Coolbreeze0688

Novice Member
The G1 extra is definitely not worth it for the brightness. You won’t be able to tell the difference. But if you are wall mounting it’s a good option. If you aren’t wall mounting then definitely go C1.

I plan on wall mounting it. I'm putting money away for the A80J at the moment. I'm going to wait on the reviews on the new LGs before I decide to pull the trigger on the G1.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom