1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A7N8X Deluxe won't POST

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mephistopheles, Apr 12, 2003.

1. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CPU & case fans come on, HDD spins up, green warning light comes on, LED's come on, but no action! No reassuring single beep!

I've tried all combinations of:-

2500+ Barton (with FSB jumper on default) with stock retail HSF
    1.3 Duron (with FSB jumper on 200 MHz) with stock retail HSF
    Corsair XMS3200 2 x 256 TwinX (1 stick and 2 sticks variously in all 3 slots)
    Crucial PC2100 1 x 128 (in all 3 slots)

I have tried:-

Clearing BIOS
    Replacing all jumper caps
    Starting without AGP card and 0 PCI cards

Any clues, guys?

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cant help with yor problem but i found this site helpfull www.amd3d.com

3. J.Gent

J.Gent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there an LED Status panal on the back. There was on my brotheres MSI Nforce 2. That didnt post and a red led and a combination of greens after a flick through the manual reffered to bad memory check.. So we removed the dimms... etc... and hey presto :) I noticed you tried the ram.. just emntioning my problem as how the leds helped.

PS there is some issues with certain Cosair and Nforce 2 mobos.... goto there homepage and look

4. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been reading the 'A7N8X build' thread on amdmb.com and also took a look at the Corsair 3200/A7N8X issue at House of Help. I would believe the latter was my problem here but for the fact I've tried it with the Crucial PC2100, too, and still get nothing. There are a lot of people out there with POST issues on these boards, it seems, many of them Corsair XMS3200 owners but by no means all, and I just wonder whether Corsair are getting the flack for something that may not be entirely down to their XMS3200 SPD specs.

Since my first post (not intended) I've now also tried a different, known good PSU, removed the board from the case (onto a non-conductive surface), cleared CMOS again (and again), enabled/disabled SATA, and just about everything else I could think of. I also discovered that it will not respond to the reset switch and the HDD LED seems to have stopped working.

Someone with similar problems had realised it was a talking mobo and plugged his headphones in. A voice told him it was a memory problem, which he fixed. I can't hear anything.....!

I've had enough. I've stripped it down and will return the board to Overclockers UK first thing on Monday, unless I feel masochistic enough to try it 'once more' tomorrow. OcUK tell me they're working 2 weeks behind on returns but hope to get that shorter. Oh boy!

5. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think the new bios update might fix that. Early releases were very unstable.

6. J.Gent

J.Gent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If a mobo is so unstable it wouldnt boot i would wonder if it is possible to upgrade the bios. I know a few people who allways upgrade there bios when they feel there is nothing wrong ... but a new edition is out.......

Personally i would only consider it if i had a serious fault. and a board that wouldnt post i would believe is beyond redemption by a bios upgrade :)

Just my thoughts :rotfl:

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,961
    if its an asus board, hold down the inset key while booting, as that clears any settings in the BIOS which may stop it from booting, ie incorrect CPU settings

8. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried that, too. I also changed the battery, swapped a known-good video card and threatened it very aggressively.

This board is a PCB rev 1.04 which has been around since at least last December, I've learned; they're now on PCB rev 2.0. A lot of people (over at amdmb.com) had problems with these early boards not POSTing, although the majority seem to have been caused by the pre-set aggressive timings on TwinX XMS3200, for which a workaround was found pending a revised BIOS. Quite a few others, however, like me, got no result from that and still got no POST. TwinX XMS3200 does not seem to be the problem here, since I've tried with stock Crucial PC2100 and got no joy. I'm inclined to think the board's just DOA.

I got it from Overclockers UK only about a week ago at a remarkably favourable price, and have since realised it's probably because it's old stock. They state that TwinX XMS3200 is an ideal memory for the nVidia2 chipset (which theoretically it is), and I find it difficult to believe they have not become aware of the memory issue (which surfaced last November/December) and recognise the likely problems arising on early boards with TwinX unfriendly BIOSes they are supplying. As I said, their turnaround on returned stock is currently 2 weeks. How long does it take a tech to POST test a board?

Caveat emptor................