1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A75+ help please

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by cameronl, Dec 1, 2003.

1. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there all, I have recently bought myself an A75+ amp to go along side my AV amp (yammy 630) and DV88+ (which I use for cd's as well). To get my sub (Velodyne CHT-10) working with both I have had to make some comprimises. What I need help with is understanding which amp does which part of the processing when I try to run my music in stereo.

1). If I select av/dvd on the A75+ (with the fixed gain), then select stereo on my AV amp am I playing the stereo through my A75+, AV amp or both? If I turn my AV amp off both the music and bass go. Is my A75+ still doing most of the work for this mode?

2). If I select cd on the A75+ (with A75+ 'preout' going to 'cd in' on the AV amp) then select stereo on my av amp then what exactly is happening? If I turn off the AV amp then I only loose the bass as the stereo is playing through the A75+? The problem with this is that the volume control on my AV amp turns the bass up and down where as the volume control on the A75+ turns the stereo up and down.

Are these the only 2 ways of playing stereo with my sub going? There doesn't seem to be much difference in sound quality and for convenience alone the first option sounds is by far the eaisest to use (& keep setup at the right levels).

thanks for your time

CaM

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I'll try :-
    1) Your AV amp is in control driving the center channel and rears and sending the relevent signals required for the fronts (controling the gain). The a75+ is still amplifying the fronts though the volume is dictated by your av amp. The lfe (sub woofer) channel is being controlled by the av amp.
    2) In this case you are using the A75+ purely on it's own to drive the fronts. The av amp has nothing to do with the fronts atall in this case. The sub woofer only works if you send a second signal to the av amp so it has an lfe signal to process. In this case you'd have to fiddle with two volume controls- one for the fronts and one to get the subwoofer level to the correct setting to complement the fronts.
    For the sub to work in both cases you'll have to have both amps on. The only other way would be if your source (dvd player) has a designated lfe out (or spare phono out) that you could connect direct to the subwoofer bypassing the av amp.
    I have the same issue but whilst listening to music I do without the subwoofer. I experimented and had it running similar to how you have tried but It was hard to integrate the sub in either case. My Linn Ninka floorstander (with upgraded bases) sound wonderfull on there own without a sub so I choose to listen to music just with the a75+ and without the subwoofer.

hope I've made it a bit clearer?:smashin:

3. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there, thanks for your answer. I ended up solving the problem - thanks to some old forum messages ;)

This is how it is done

CD player > cd in on the A75+
    A75+ preout > cd in on the AV amp

This means that the A75+ controls the L&R speakers while the AV amp only controls the sub (which also gives you volume control on the sub via the AV amp).

I hope that makes sense.

CaM

4. dogcolony

dogcolony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just upgrading my setup to include an Arcam A80 and found this solution as to how to still enable the sub properly for music very interesting.

Something slightly worries me though. When you are switching between listening to CD to an AV source don't you have to be very careful about the order in which you do things.

To listen to music you will have the AV amp set to CD (which is the A75+ preout) and the A75+ set to CD.

To listen to AV you will have the AV amp set to AV source and the A75+ set to AV.

So, when going from the first situation to the second, if you switch the A75+ first, won't you get feedback and risk nasty damage to one or both amps?

Obviously the solution is just to make sure you switch the AV amp first and have all this nicely handled by a remote macro, but I still feel slighltly uncomfortable about connecting all my equipment in such a way that it could fry itself.

Can anyone confirm that this setup does risk this happening? Will it damage the amps or do they have some way of preventing any harm?

Thanks,
    Michael Willis

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    No feedback here. It's just like switching between any source be it av or cdp etc. Never had an issue with this atall and have not "fried" anything yet. I've had it connected this way for about 7 months now without a peep or hint of anything untoward.:D