A7 Sportsback -- Anybody got one?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Dextur, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Anybody driving an A7 sportsback who tried out the SE and the S-Line against each other?

The S-Line adds great looks to the car but can be a little tuff on bad roads.

Feedback appreciated.

2. tazman007

tazman007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I have an S-line A7 which I got late April this year. I was all set on ordering a new A6 black edition with options, but then this A7 came up just at the top end of my price range and went for this (decision based purely on its looks and style compared to the A6).

My A7 has 20 inch wheels and for me, and this is my perception only, the ride is more comfortable than the Ford Mondeo I came from, which was the ST diesel version on 18 inch wheels and was lowered with Eibach springs, so the ride on that was particularly firm. Don't get me wrong, the ride is still firm on the S-line, but much more comfortable than my mondy and even the family thinks so too. I didn't test drive the A7 but did numerous test drives in the A6 (and also test drove BMW 5 series, Jag XF and the Merc E class) and did not find too much difference between the SE and the S-line of the A6, but that's all about individual perception. Look at the VWAudi forums and you'll get a spectrum of views regarding the difference in ride between the two trims :). So you really need to test drive both I think and go from there.

Mine is the 204bhp, front wheel drive version, which is plenty for me and really does give a kick to it and is still a step up from my chipped Mondeo. However more often than not, you just want to cruise in this car as driving it is a real pleasure and very rarely do I feel the need to put the foot down, but when I do I still get a smile on my face. There's enough power on tap for my needs.

Any questions, give me a shout.

3. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes I do

Mine is a 245bhp, Quattro in SE spec with quite a lot of options on it. I have had it almost a year now and done 18,000 miles in it.

I also had this one as a loaner a few weeks ago

[​IMG]

which is a Bi Turbo S Line

So inside from the drivers seat they look identical

[​IMG]

And of course being an Audi you can have identical "toys" on every spec so in my case, the S Line that I had was lower in spec than my own SE. Having said that, you can't refer to any of these cars as low spec

Ride wise the S Line on those big alloys was not as bad as I was expecting. Indeed it was pretty good but I suspect that is as much down to the size of the alloy wheels rather than the suspension itself which is the same across the range.

So in the case of the S Line and Black, it really is about aesthetics.

I can't see my car when I am driving it so it's what's inside that matters.

I will say however this is the best car I have ever owned. The quattro system means that even in several inches of snow with summer tyres on, it still doesn't get stuck yet on a French Autoroute in torrential rain, it is absolutely planted on the tarmac

It is a big (huge) car and the boot is big too. Last month I managed to get a full sized single mattress into the boot (just) with the seats down.

So next week we will be driving down to SW France for a couple of weeks and this thing will just "waft" along the Autoroutes in style with more than enough room for all the luggage and duty free we can carry with "enough" performance for anything that the conditions throw at us and all whilst returning the best part of 40mpg

And this is where it excels. Yes it goes round corners like it's on rails (Quattro makes this possible) and yes it's quock (the Bi Turbo is insane) but it's the sort of car that you make "swift" but comfortable progress in. Sitting at 130kph in near silence on the AutoRoute fully loaded with people and luggage yet at the same time it will sit on a German Autobahn at 150mph still in near silence and feeling just as planted on the road.

So aesthetics aside (and the Black and S Line do look very good with big wheels on) the ride is harder than the SE but not uncomfortably so and you can have the same options on any model.

Here's mine

[​IMG]

4. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Thanks guys. Useful feedback, appreciated.

Its a very sexy car.

5. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Did you have a close call with the Jag?

Every review I read says its the best in class.

It's no use to me as I need a hatchback, but it does seems great car.

I will also be going 204bhp 2wd.

Mind me asking , which way you financed it, was it brand new?

Seems to be some incredible deals in year old cars.

6. tazman007

tazman007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Very, very close call with the Jag. To the point where I had a deal on the table last October (been looking for over a year) but was persuaded by my better half to hold off for another six months before purchasing. I loved the ride in the Jag and would go so far as to say that out of all the cars driven, arguably the Jag was the best in terms of ride comfort. But, and a big but, I much, much preferred the Audi's interior and its infotainment system (I've got the HDD Sat Nav version with MMI touch) and that swung me to Audi. When I think about my new car in a couple of years, the Jag will be a frontrunner, no doubt.

I financed using the M&S plan (which I found out about from FZR on these forums). Had a deposit plus my car and financed the rest over 2 years with this plan. It wasn't brand new, 4 months old with 4K on the clock. I looked at PCP which the dealer offered at the same rate as a new car and at contract hire, but I'm one of those that has to 'own' the car at the end (don't feel comfortable with 'renting' and mileage limits and worrying about dings and scuffs etc) so the M&S plan worked for me. I also haggled with the dealer and got him to reduce the price by £1.5K so yes, there are some good deals out there but sometimes a gem does pop up if you look hard enough and don't mind travelling (picked mine up from Yeovil and I'm in Coventry)!

7. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Thanks, that helps.

I took a quick look at the M&S thing yesterday, again after FZR's hint, but it seemed only open to M&S bank customers.

Will look again.

8. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Another quick one on the M&S deal.

It says

If borrowing £7,500 over 36 months at a representative 6.0% APR, the customer can make monthly payments on £4,500 and defer £3,000 to the end of the loan. If making 36 repayments at £151.18 and a final repayment of £3,000 the total amount payable will be £8,442.48. If the customer chooses not to make a final lump sum payment they can continue making 20 monthly repayments at £151.18 and a final repayment of £139.05. This will make the total amount payable £8,605.13. Annual interest rate 6.0% APR fixed. - See more at: http://bank.marksandspencer.com/exp...rists’-pockets/PR100243/#sthash.UZ6lllGS.dpuf

Can I ask why it tempted you , was it the deferred lump to reduce payments?

I presumed it was a sort of bastardised PCP but it's not you just continue making payments on a monthly basis if you decide not to pay the lump

So it seems to me like a way to just spread payments over a longer duration / potentially pay an interest free lump off at the end.

Do I have that right?

9. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Firstly, it's not just open to M+S customers.
    I think M+S credit card holders get a discount, but it's open to anyone.
    And you should get less than 6%, we are under that.

Yes, it's the deferred lump sum and reduced monthly payments that has meant it's our preferred option for years now.
    It is like PCP in that respect.
    But you're not tied to one car.
    And, if you like and as you've noticed, you can choose not to pay the lump sum and continue with payments if you desire.

We tend to trade-in or sell when the lump sum is due and start again.
    Us choosing desirable cars means we've always had positive equity.

10. tazman007

tazman007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Tempted partly the deferred lump sum (couldn't find any other high street bank that offers this type of loan) but the main reason was the interest rate I got which was 5.4% compared to what Audi were offering me on the PCP deal. The plan seems to have changed now as I was not an M&S account or cardholder whatsoever, but I still got their low rate. Seems in the last 3 months they've changed that and differentiated their account holders and non-account holders with different rates!

The lump sum at the end is deferred if you wish to pay it (it's not interest free though, you still pay interest even on the deferred sum), but you have the option at the end of term to pay the lump sum or to carry on making monthly payments for a further 2 to 3 years. I will pay the lump sum at the end as planned.

11. tazman007

tazman007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    FZR explains the nuances of this plan better then I do :D

12. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Any time I've worked out figures, the M+S car buyer plan works out to give more or less the same total cost as a traditional loan.

Car buyer plan
    Lower monthly payments with deferred lump sum = X

Traditional loan
    Higher monthly payments with no deferred sum still = X

13. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Again it's working on the assumption that at the end of the term, you will get rid of the car (in this case, sell it on) which makes it no difference from lease or PCP

BUT

Unlike PCP, there is no option to just hand it back and walk away so if you find the market for the car you has bought has dropped, there is the risk that you end up with the car not being worth what is left outstanding on finance. On PCP that risk is carried by the finance company.

14. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    That is true.
    But, as I said, we tend to buy cars that are popular and easy to sell on.
    So negative equity isn't an issue.

15. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768

That all make sense but unless I'm misunderstanding the payment structure it actually seems quite expensive.

Yes, the payments are cheaper on an on going basis but you seem to really "pay" for that overall.

I did some quick maths and the charges on the deferred element seem very high.

I did some quick math in another thread and was a bit shocked.

16. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    If settling the deferred element is expensive using M+S, just borrow the money from a cheaper source and pay off M+S.

17. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    There is that of course, but actually their rate on the deferred element once the primary element of the loan is not bad , it's fine.

Where you end up paying through the nose is that you're not strictly speaking deferring the loan, they charge you for it during the primary loan duration.

Or actually , that may be inaccurate, compared to a normal car loan, their rate calculator shows me a £50+ per month additional cost over what it would cost to borrow the £17.5k anywhere else.

This is before you then have to pay the actual £7.5 k off at the end .

18. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    I'm getting really lost here.
    It still looks to me like you're comparing a £25k car buyer loan, with a traditional loan of £17.5k.
    :confused:
    I appreciate getting a loan of £17.5k from somewhere else might be cheaper than a car buyer plan for £25k.
    But a traditional loan of £17.5k will only get you a £17.5k car.
    Whereas the £25k car buyer plan will get you a £25k car.
    :confused::confused:

19. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Listen , just forget entirely the £17.5k element if that's causing a headache, it need not be confusing, it's was purely showing how much extra M&S charge per month compared to a traditional loan for the "deferred" element.

The only important factor here is when you compare £25k from M&S over 5 years and £25k traditional loan over 5 years, M&S comes up significantly more expensive.

20. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Already answered in another thread.
    Maybe the mods should merge these threads.

21. tazman007

tazman007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Taking the deferred route is slightly more expensive, but not hugely so. So take a real life example, mine:

I took a 15K loan over 2 years at a rate of 5.4%. My monthly payment is £362.89 for 24 months with a deferred sum of £7.5K. I will pay in total over two years £16,209.36.

If I did not take the deferred option, my monthly would be £660 over two years, which would total £15,838 in total.

So in effect I am paying £371.36 extra by taking the deferred option (~ one months payment). This is OK for me as it lowers my monthlies obviously, but helps my cashflow for the moment and I know I will have my 7.5K to pay the deferred amount at the end of term because of my personal circumstances.

Point really is that the whole process is highly individual - all comes down to personal circumstance I guess as to which of the many options there are, is right for the individual at that time.

Hope this helps.

22. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Yeah, it's awkward over 2 threads.

23. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    It just depends on the loan you can grab, my loan numbers versus the numbers provided on the M&S site show me a difference of over £3k, it's not insane but on a £25k car it's enough.

The £100 per month less is nice of course...

24. tazman007

tazman007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yep, but 3K is a lot though. I remember having fun researching which car I was going to get, but hating the research to finance the damn thing :D

Whatever way you choose to finance, if you do get the A7, make sure you let us know and post up some pics.

You really won't be disappointed :smashin:

25. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Will do ,for sure.

26. delanoster

delanoster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I went with a friend of mine to test the A7 last year. From memory the standard suspension gave a harsh ride, especially in the back seat.
    He managed to find an A7 with adaptive air suspension and that does make a difference. A month or so go four of us went on a long weekend break around the Yorkshire coast in the A7 and the ride was excellent even on the twisty country lanes.

For reference his car has Quattro but I can't remember which of the 3litre diesel engines. It has adaptive cruise control and forward looking infra red amongst a load of other toys.

27. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Thanks.

I suspect, although I would like to think otherwise, that I'm not a connoseur of "harsh rides".

I currently drive a Audi S-Line Avant and think it's a nice ride, my bet is an A7 should be better than a 6 year old Avant.

I get folks who really travel in style all the time may think it's not to cushy, but it will almost guaranteed be an upgrade for me.

I wish they did a model with S-Line looks but SE suspension etc.

28. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    All S-Line Audis can be ordered with standard suspension now.

29. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    If I end up going new, that's very handy to know, thanks.

30. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,136
    Just to add in some info on new A7s, I had an email from drivethedeal which said they had some big discounts on A7s right now. They could be worth checking out if you go for a new one.

Right now I'm trying to work out if I can afford a used A7 or a BMW 5 GT.