A65+ noise

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jhkuo, Aug 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jhkuo

jhkuo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi
    I recently acquired a secondhand A65+. I connect it to my MA RS5 and CD73. The speakers are biwired with MA speaker cable.

I find that when there is no source playing, the speakers would make small white/hissing noise from the tweeters. It's not very loud but I never used to hear it on my Denon 2106. Is this the normal behaviour of this amp? Is there anything I can do to rectify this issue or it needs a trip back to Arcam?

Thanks for the advise.

2. latejunction

latejunction

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you hear this noise at your normal listening distance or only when you place your ear next to the tweeter?

Does it vary with volume? If it does then the noise may be coming from the source / pre-amp stage; if not then it is likely coming from the output stage (downstream from the volume control).

And do you hear it when you have the amp on an unused line-level input (ie one with nothing connected)? Please bear in mind you will hear more noise from the phono input (if fitted) as it has a lot more gain.

I have this noise on mine, but can only hear it when my ear is about 3 inches from the tweeter and the amp is on an unused input.

If the noise you have is *significantly* louder than this under the same conditions I would recommend you get it looked at.

3. jhkuo

jhkuo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The hissing noise I get is constant in loudness and in all inputs. Even if I turn the volume dial all the way to the max the noise does not get louder. Also, I do only hear the noise if my ear is very close to the speaker and it's not audiable at normal listening distance.

I guess the trouble for me is that I normally leave my amp on standby when not in use, A65+ doesn't have the option to go in standby and if I leave it on constantly, I am not sure whether the hissing noise will do my speakers any harm in the long run. Looks like I have to change my usage pattern and manually turn the amp off when not in use...

4. latejunction

latejunction

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you are describing is exactly what I get as well. It's nothing to be concerned about.

It will definitely not do any damage to your speakers, so don't worry about that. The only potential danger is through something catastrophic like a lightning strike, but that applies equally to everything mains-powered in your house.

The amp will definitely sound better if you keep it warmed up though.

Hope this helps.