A32 vs A90 vs AVR350 - opinions please

OneDesi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use my AVR350 (fronts biamped) for 2-channel and AV with an Arcam DV29 and Rega Apollo and do love the combo.

I've heard the A32 is now discontinued and wondered if I should consider going down this and the poweramp route with the AV module.

My first question is:

For 2- channel, is there much of a sound difference in the above 3 amps and if so how would you describe the differences/improvements as you move through the scale.

2nd question is:

What is the AV module and how do I get it/ fit it and how much? IS it basically a fully fledged processor that needs a poweramp and if so which power amp do you guys recommend.

Thanks in advance :)

The A32 discontinued? Were did you pick up that information?

It might be a bit premature to talk of the A32 being discontinued, but there has been talk of an A38 being on the horizon.........

Onedsei,

From what I know the A32 would offer the best solution for 2channel with more control and authority to the sound. (sorry, not very good at putting into words differences in sound)...

The A32 7.1 module (also available for the DIVA A90) is for multi-channel audio such as DVD and DVD-A, and requires an additional power amplification such as the P35 or multiple P1s. It can be considered as an audio update to the DAVE module that was offered on the Alpha 10 and FMJ A22 a good few years back, but designed to complement modern DVD players with multi channel audio outputs.

As it is only briefly mentioned on the Diva A90 product info pdf, I don't think it was widely promoted, probably because the AVR series receivers have proved to be so popular, and the FMJ AV8/9 & P7, (and AVP700 & P1000)combos have filled the full AV desires of Arcam devotees.

I noticed that 7oaks in Preston had an ex-demo A32 with this module for sale late last year, but can't remember what price they were asking, sorry. I guess that there may be a few more dealer demo A32's with the 7.1 module (and mtching power amps) coming onto the market in the next month or two - happy hunting !!

Hope this is of some use to you.

I have the A32 and AVR300, the former is significantly better as expected for 2-channel music. At some point I had a brief demo of A90 and AVR350, and found them similar for 2-channel music (through PMC DB1+).

The 7.1 is NOT a processor, simply an input board- ie you input 5.1 / 7.1 analaog audio which your source (DVD / SACD player etc) has already decoded into surround.

grr, now I am really tempted as I think an A32 will be better matched to my P35 than any replacment that may or may not be comming soon. Wonder if there will be a p35 replacment soon too.

Hi there

All the amps have the Arcam sound with the A32 being the cleanest and most powerful. I used to use an A85/P85 and now have an A32/P32 and the sound is better (in every department) but not in a different league as the A85 and A90 were such good designs and the A32 is a based on these designs. However with the new A38 on the horizon you can pick up an A32 at end of line prices, possibly for similar amounts to an A90. The A32 is like a beefed up A90 in a smarter suit:smashin:

I have an AVR300 linked to the stereo amps and have never listened to it on its own in stereo. I have compared the pre amp section with that in the A32 and it's not as good (as you'd expect) and sounds less clear. The AVR300 is still the most neutral and musical home cinema amp that I've heard.

Another way of doing things would be to use an Arcam Pre Amplifier such as the C30 with the 7.1 Module, see http://www.arcam.co.uk/downloads/upgrades.pdf
and add the requisite number of power amps (P35 / P1s) for the number of channels that you want to drive, depending on your source (and budget !!).

There are a number of reviews available by searching Google with Arcam 7.1 Module - they are from around 2004 I think and are basically saying that this module is the audiophile way of getting quality multi channel audio from quality DVD sources without compromising stereo audio performance.
seehttp://www.homecinemachoice.com/pdfs/HCC/200407/082_HCC_0704.pdf
for example.

I think that the premium for the 7.1 version of the C30 was about 300-400GBP. see http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesnews2004/news20040304-08.html

I'm not sure if the current C31 accepts the 7.1 Module, or indeed if the 7.1 module is being offered anymore - speak to your friendly Arcam dealer! or search something second-hand.

Hope this is of some use to you - I know it is slightly off topic to your original post.

Dobly

What do you guys think of the P25/P35 poweramps - much difference.

It looks like if I go down this route then I have to buy a processor as well which makes it a very expensive option.

I might stick with the AVR350 as I do rate it higher than my previoos MF kit (only my opinion mind and it is a convenient solution) - I suppose I want to improve the stereo sound if I can and am not sure how to do this.

Hi again,

I think that the P25 matches the tonal qualities of the A22, the P35 matches the A32. In short, both are great with no real shortcomings that I know of.

Hi again,

I think that the P25 matches the tonal qualities of the A22, the P35 matches the A32. In short, both are great with no real shortcomings that I know of.

Agreed :thumbsup:

I might stick with the AVR350 as I do rate it higher than my previoos MF kit (only my opinion mind and it is a convenient solution) - I suppose I want to improve the stereo sound if I can and am not sure how to do this.

Quick run-down of my route to rack and ruin ...... Started off with the AVR300 Still more than happy with it's decoding, steering and multi-channel ability, but wanted more in the stereo department. So added an A22, however lost the ability to bi-amp my fronts hence the addition of the p35/3 and can now bi-amp my centre as well.

Next steps? Have a C31 waiting to replace the A22 (more for remote issues than anything else) and am on the lookout for a powerful multi channel amp or another P25/35. But I am in no rush to change the AVR300 which will stay as my proc (At least till next week) ;)

I've only heard the AVR350 a couple of times and that was with movie clips How it compares in stereo I couldn't say.

And I really ought to go to bed :hiya:

I've only heard the AVR350 a couple of times and that was with movie clips How it compares in stereo I couldn't say.

And I really ought to go to bed :hiya:
Andy

WHat did you think of the AVR350 compared to the 300?

You've basically got the system I am envisaging - are you basically using the preouts on the AVR300 for movies then?

Andy

WHat did you think of the AVR350 compared to the 300?

You've basically got the system I am envisaging - are you basically using the preouts on the AVR300 for movies then?

Hi

As I said I've only heard the 350 on a few occasions and it wasn't in my room or with my speakers. I certainly won't be changing my 300 until the next generation comes out.

The 300's L - R pre-outs connect to the tape in connection on the A22/C31 For movies all you do is put the integrated/pre into 'Proc' mode and all volume is controlled by the 300.

I think your best bet would be to try and borrow an A32 from your dealer. stick it in your system and do a comparison yourself :smashin:

HTH

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom