1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A22 + DAVE - Opinions

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by General Skanky, May 27, 2004.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    As much as I'd like the AV8, at £3000 it's going to be out of my reach for quite some time.

I love the Naim AV2 sound but again, at £2200 or so it's also not cheap, but I'm keeping an eye out.

So, as a 'on the way' stop gap, I've been mildly considering the A22 loaded with a DAVE.

Searched the forums and read the odd review, but I'd like to know a few things.

Before I forget, anyone know where there is a pdf or the like of its manual or specs, the Arcam site only has the old write up.

Does it have pre outs for all channels with the DAVE?
    Does DAVE sound ok?
    How configurable is DAVE for AV, ie, distances, speaker types etc?
    Anyone know of a good source to buy 2nd hand if it looks like a good option?

I know the A32 is out as is the C30, but I'd want a self contained unit that does hifi and AV.

Thanks.

2. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to partially hijack your thread but on a similar vein.

I have a A22 and would love a DAVE Module for it. Is there any way to still get hold of one? or do i actually ahve to buy an A22 with DAVE and sell mine. Yeah I know i could take it out put it in my A22 then sell that one but tis easier to just sell the one without!! :)

I have worked with and pulled computers apart for 10 years so I presume it's going to be no harder to fit a DAVE Unit then it is to play with a PC if I somehow managed to get hold of one?

Cheers

Steff

3. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I would highly recommend the FMJ22 DAVE. I picked one up a few months ago along with a FMJ25/3- they are great for movies and music. A big step up from my Denon3801.
    DAVE has pre-outs for everything- speakers & Sub can be set for large/small/not present- can set distance imperial or metric. Has test tones and can adjust speaker volumes. It has two sub settings - one for movies one for music.100w per channel.
    I find it hard to tell differences between AV processors in sending signals around the room- all I can say is the clarity of the sound and effects is first class. Very impressive with movies with a good score and outstanding with music DVDs and CD. Of course, my second hand FMJ DV27 helps too!
    I picked up all 3 items for £1700! There is a FMJ22Dave on Fleabay at the moment ( I got mine there too)
    Cheers
    rkb

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    If you PM me your email address, I can scan my DAVE manual in and send it to you.
    Yes. The DAVE has 4 pre-outs: centre, surround R, surround L, sub. The A22 obviously has the front L/R.
    It sounds very good. I've had mine in an Alpha 10 since they came out, practically, and the only things tempting me away from it is the lack of 6-channel input, the untidiness of 2 boxes and general upgraditis! It's actually the longest lived component in my AV/music setup - for good reason!
    It does distances, size (but only the one crossover point - 80Hz). There's no global delay, which I find occasionaly noticeable on Sky.
    I'm toying with selling my Alpha 10+DAVE and 10P3 in order to buy an AVR300. A vanilla Alpha 10 or 10P3 are easy to sell on their own, but there don't seem to be many takers for the full setup, or DAVE on its own. If I did go down this route, I'd likely advertise them on the classifieds here. I guess if anyone just wanted a DAVE, they could buy a 10+DAVE and either swap the board themselves or ask their local friendly retailer to do the swap.

Cheers,
    Liam

5. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ps
    I forgot to add- Arcam will send you a photocopy of the user manual if you ask- nothing on the site for download.
    I think I read somewhere that Arcam no longer keep DAVE parts- so you cannot get one repaired. I'm not sure if the whole DAVE module can still be bought (£1000?) as I thought the more recent FMJ32 could be ordered with DAVE as well.

A few dealers are selling ex demo FMJ22Dave & FMJ25/3 for around £1700; was about £2800 RRP new.
    Cheers

rkb

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the replies. I'd be using the A22/DAVE purely as a processor to drive my active speakers. It seems like a good solution as I need good stereo from it too.

Liam, you have a pm.

Cheers,

Guy.

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks to Liam for the DAVE manual. Cheers.

Any other opinions on the DAVE AV solution?

8. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +376
    I used to have an alpha 10+dave that I upgraded to an fmj a22+dave - with a p25/3 - and it was a good sounding system ... only did 5.1 (but did it very well) and started to get limiting on inputs and outputs when I wanted to grow the system ... for the money now I'd look at a AVR300 and use additinal amps to drive the front channels if needed ... has the advantage of up to date processing modes and upgradeable ...

9. crion

crion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used Alpha10 DAVE system and liked it alot, it took something really expensive to replace it. The only real problem with this setup was the looks..

Having listened to a AVR300, the sound in movies seem better integrated in the 300.

On music the Alpha10 DAC sounded more dynamic and better soundstage than the DV88 DACs although the noise ratio was much worse on the digital inputs than analog.

The Alpha 10 is an excellent Amp and if you get a DAVE setup for a good price and only need 5.1 I'd say go for it.. Otherwise an AVR300 with biamped front speakers is really sexy!

10. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I know i've dragged this up from the depths, but saves me starting a new thread.

How would the A22 + DAVE and a power amp compare to the AVR300 nowadays? The AVR300 and A22 plus power amp would probably be a similarish price 2nd hand.

11. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    As the owner of the A22 DAVE on fleabay you might want to take my comments with a pinch of salt, but I'll be honest. I bought this as an experiment because I couldn't afford an AV8/9 either, and I was tired of using a stereo amp attached to the pre-outs of an AV receiver (fine for me but not very family-friendly with the volume setting changes etc). I had read a comment (from Crustyloafer I think) about the sound steering being not as fluid as good modern processors and I think this was correct. But I was frankly surprised at how good it is. It doesn't do prologic II but prologic sounded fine to me with freeview and the sound quality with a P25/3 was first class. The centre speaker dialogue sounded particularly clear and I wondered if the DAVE had good pre-outs all round. In fact the only downside for me was the lack of audio delay. I would have kept it but a diode blew for no reason and I found a Meridian 5.1 processor while it was under repair.

I did ask Arcam about the repair biz and they were surprised I felt the need to ask. While DAVEs aren't being made they are certainly repairable. I had my unit back in a week.

Hope this helps

12. gballan@mac.com

gballan@mac.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've begun to use an A22 Dave & P25/3 instead of an AVR 250. I'm quite sure that some of the surround sound effects are diminished using the Dave compared to the 250 but, as has been stated before, you'll be surprised at how good it is. And to really seal the deal you'll find the stereo quality of CD much better than the 300.

It may not be a (cough) no brainer, but it's close!

13. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    This is embarrassing but....

For anyone on this forum watching my A22 DAVE on fleabay (I know several are), I just terminated the listing. The damn thing has been sat next to me in the study for 4 days looking pristine but I just moved it into the lounge to pack it. The light there is much stronger and I can see several marks on the top near the back. The marks are faint but it means the unit is certainly not mint as advertised. I'll re-list when I get over my embarrassment. What a d**k. My apologies once again.