A1XVA questions?

GlynH

Hi there,

I currently have the AVC-A1SRA & DVD-A11 connected via DL3 and am very pleased with the combination. :smashin:

I place as much (possibly more?) emphasis on good sound (stereo upwards) as I do on picture quality.

I am driving KEF Reference 2.1 (Front), Reference 1.2 (Surround) and 200C (Centre) but I parted with my old 30B subwoofer some weeks ago and will probably go for the Storm 5 shortly...

I have been thinking about upgrading the DVD-A11 to the DVD-A1XVA for some time now and wondered if anyone here has already made the leap?

If so is it a considerable improvement - I realise the case for 'diminishing returns' comes into play here so maybe I should ask was it a worthwhile improvement for you?

A couple of other questions if you don't mind;

Having been spoiled by my old 2900 for menu navigation & chapter skip speed how does the A1XVA compare to both the 2900 & the A11?

The menu navigation speed of the A11 is slooow... :thumbsdow highlighted yesterday by my XBOX 360 when I popped in The Incredibles just to check the THX picture optimization - the XBOX was very quick at navigation & chapter skip compared to the A11...

I still have my trusty Panny 5 Series (although I am considering the 42" Fujitsu 58 Series) so am limited to analogue component connections for the time being - how is the component out on the A1XVA compared to the A11?

When the time comes should I expect a huge improvement when utilising the HDMI output for video or maybe a more modest gain or *shudder* mediocre performance? :eek:

It have also been thinking about upgrading my AVC-A1SRA to the AVC-A1XVA (I know...I know...it's only money) :rotfl: as it would be great to bi-amp the Reference 2.2's and have the Audyssey automatically setup my system.

Again the experience of others would be much appreciated and any hints/tips etc. gratefully received.

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Jase

Distinguished Member
The DVD-A1XVA isn't as fast for menu navigation as the 2900 (as that's one of the fastest around) but it isn't slow either. Not seen a layer change as yet with mine, then again, you shouldn't as it has a buffer to stop that from happening.

The Component output of the A1XVA is the best I've seen. No doubts there. You really need to check one out for yourself. :)

I have the AVC-A1XV as well and that's a definite step up from my old KA1SE which audiowise is pretty identical to the A1SRA. As a combination, the DVD-A1XVA and AVC-A1XV (A) is expensive, but most definitely worth it I.M.O. Have a demo if you can.

GlynH

Thanks for the reply Jase,

Is it noticably slower than the 2900?

I guess that's a loaded question as if it wasn't noticable you wouldn't notice it! :rotfl:

It's just that my A11 is so pitifully slow compared to my previous 2900 (the XBOX 360 reminded me the other day)

I don't intend to go down the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray path yet but would like to improve on what I have already got for both audio & video.

What did you have before the XVA if you don't mind me asking Jase?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Jase

Distinguished Member
The 2900 is very fast but the A1XVA is slower in that respect but not as slow as the A11.

Before I had the A1XVA I had a Toshiba SD900 and a Panasonic RP82 that had been SDI modified and was running into a video processor.

GlynH

Thanks for taking the time to reply again Jase,

Sorry for labouring this one to death...:rolleyes: but...if the 2900 was a 10 and the A11 was a big, fat 0 would the A1 be somewhere in the middle - say a 5 or would it sit closer to the A11? :rolleyes:

Here's hoping in your opinion it might be an 8 or something but please not under 5! :rotfl:

Does that even make sense?:confused:

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Jase

Distinguished Member
LOL, definitely over 5, more like a 7. It's quicker than my Toshiba as well. Any 2900 owner is going to be disappointed though as that was so quick.

GlynH

Good enough for me then! :smashin:

Shame that sometimes Denon seem to take a step backwards when introducing a bigger, better model...

You're right about that 2900 - as I might have mentioned before even my lowly XBOX 360 is lightning fast on navigation.

Won't mention the build, noise or audio quality from the 360 though...:devil:

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Jase said:
LOL, definitely over 5, more like a 7. It's quicker than my Toshiba as well. Any 2900 owner is going to be disappointed though as that was so quick.