1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a1sr upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by aarons, May 4, 2003.

1. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thinking of upgrading from 3801 to a1 any one to persuade me to part with 2500 of hard earned cash

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    For me the better option was to go the pre pro route.

Ended up with Tag AV32R and Rotel RMB1075 for that money, which I felt was a better way to go

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here. A Processor Poweramp setup is much much better than a AV amp, even the range-topping models. Better poweramps & higher quality processing. For £2500 you can get a Lexicon MC-1 and a Rotel 1075. Don't forget you'll need at least 5 phono's from the processor to poweramp (or 7 for 7.0 channel use)

4. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any ideas where to get tag and rotel or lexicon and rotel for that sort of money.need to drive a 7.1 system

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £1500 for the Lex from a Lexicon dealer, make sure it has the latest firmware. Traded in, but will have 1 year warranty.

£800 for the Rotel 1075- ~130W x 5

Or approx £1300 for a Tag AV32R 5.1 version, second hand.

The Rotel 1095 is £1800 (200W x 5)

6. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will i need another power amp to run back surrounds

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, a 2 chanel power amp. Try and match the amps- same gain/impedance.

8. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excuse my ignorance but these would both connect into mc 1 i presume.what is the sound like for stereo music and dvd audio and sacd as also running a 656a and sony 450 cd changer.not the best i know but very convinient

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MC-1 lacks 5.1 input. If you want DVD-Audio/SACD in 5.1 you'll have to look at another processor.

Unless you just want DVD-Audio/SACD in two channel, in that case just plug into a standard line-level input. MC-1 is very good for stereo, and it had Logic 7 music modes (excellent DSP not echo etc like Yamaha's) but I think my Audiolab system beats it.

10. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does the rotel have 5.1 input.or am i better off going back to denon for total flexibility

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup Rotel 1066 has 7.1 input, and the Tag AV32R 7.1 version, although for that model you're looking at £1700/£1800 sec/hand

I guess a AV amp is easier and takes less space up, but IMO I think AV Amps are nothing brilliant.

12. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers i think i will try and listen to some demos.already heard a1 and thought it sounded superb

13. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm also in the market for a new amp (as well as speakers etc) and live just round the corner from you (Barnehurst) so if you fancy having a second opinion or perhaps getting a better discount, I'll be interested.

I'm probably over to Sevenoaks tomorrow (if they are open on Bank Holiday Monday) and may ask them to set up some more demos. Interested?

14. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what have u got at the moment and what are u thinking of upgrading to

15. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Harmon Kardon THX amp (only 5.1) but want to change to 7.1 but must have audio delay feature as it may be used with a scaler hooked up to a panasonic 42W4 plasma and barco 808 projector. Used with a mixture of ruark & acoustic energy speakers but looking to change all of these to either a M&K set up or Monitor Audio Gold Refs with a Velodyne sub.

Still not confirmed on any of the items as yet but need to make some decisions soon as the builders will be wanting to route some cabling into the front room in the next week or so. BTW, never did go to Sevenoaks - I think they were closed due to the bank holiday. I guess more auditions are on the way...

simon