A1Se upgrade HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kane D Williams, May 18, 2002.

1. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Chaps

Can anyone tell me if it is possibe to take my AVC A1SE to Hayden Labs myself? The reason being that I got mine from a non-authorized dealer and they are miles from me anyway! There is a reson why I don't want to take it back to them, but I'll have to PM you that if you're interested?

When I asked the guy at Bristol what I should do, he said that Denon would still upgrade it for me, even though it was probably not officially meant to be in the UK. He said I would not be penalised and left out etc!! He advised me to take it to Sevenoaks, as I was a customer of their's and that as they are a Denon dealer, they could arrange it for me. Well, guess what, they won't and like an idiot I have forgotten the Denon dude's name!

Anyone know where I stand or got any advice?

Cheers Kane

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Presumably you are now an ex Sevenoaks customer. Why not ring Hayden directly and ask them. If you bought it from a dealer you are not to know whether it's a grey import or not.

If there is a problem with that, then tell them that you bought it second hand from a private individual. I don't see why there should be a problem as it isn't that it is a free upgrade as they are charging handsomely for it

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Agreed, tell them you bought it 2nd hand and the seller advised you it came from an authorised THX dealer. I talked to Hayden about this for a friend, and they told me there is no way of telling whether the amp is an import or not.

Time to flex those acting skills :)

4. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am based in Dublin and may not appear to be in a position to offer advice however as I originally intended to import an AVC-A1SE and have it upgraded I have followed the debate with great interest.

I can tell you that H.Labs have stated that you can have your machine upgraded regardless of original source.

Do not complicate the issue by telling them any stories regarding the source of the amp (you are on the defence if you do). Contact them and tell them that you need to have it upgraded ... after all they are charging you for the upgrade.

Be positive ...

Oh! forgot to mention that I purchased the new AVC-1SR and it is fantastic.

5. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can take your AVC-A1SE to ANY Denon THX dealer for the upgrade. The £600 includes delivery to and from the dealer. It doesn't matter if you bought it there or not. This is what I have done and all the dealer wanted to know was the serial number for reference purposes. So far I have only paid £100 deposit (over the phone via Visa) and I'm awaiting the arrival of the boards at Hayden Labs. There is apparently no big deal about official or unofficial/grey units according to Denon. Forget Sevenoaks (were they actually THX dealers?) and go somewhere else. It's no skin off the dealer's nose as they will have to do very little for whatever they make off the £600 for handling the upgrade units. Don't mention that it's an import/grey unit, naturally!! :eek:

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Jim :)

6. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes, DENON said early on that they would not worry if it was a Grey; the USA went the furthest and said that they would leave no-one out of the upgrade, no matter what the origin of the unit.
    Very professional.

Oh! forgot to mention that I purchased the new AVC-1SR and it is fantastic.

My gold one arrives Wednesday. Can hardly wait!

Mark

7. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Anyone know where the nearest Denon/THX dealer is to me (Bexleyheath, Kent)? Musical Images is in Beckenham, but as I have no car, this is still far! I may be able to get a lift?

Kane

8. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    These are the Kent THX dealers from the Denon website. My geography isn't that great so I don't know how near or far any of these are from Bexley Heath.

Regards

Jim :)

Home Media
    Authorised THX Dealer
    24-26 Union Street
    Maidstone ME14 1ED
    Telephone: 01622 676703, Fax: 01622 676723
    E-Mail: [email protected]

Musical Images
    Authorised THX Dealer
    126 High Street
    Beckenham BK3 1EB