1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A1SE upgrade boards – where are they?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jules, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    My A1SE was booked in for the upgrade few weeks ago (I’m one of the lucky ones who still has it a home until the flight case arrives at the dealer).

However, I read although Denon twice ran out of upgrade boards previously, a new batch was due at the beginning of June. How come I’ve heard nothing?

I keep reading stories of people who’ve just got their amp back. Are these the left overs from the last batch?
    Does anyone know if Denon UK have received the new batch of upgrade boards, and if not when are they due in?

2. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Jules!

I too still have my gold unit at home. I paid Phase 3 in Worthing a £100 deposit on 14th May and phoned both them and Denon on Friday (7th) afternoon. Phase 3 were useless and didn't bother to phone me back as requested, but Stephanie (who's in charge of all the upgrade logistics at Hayden Labs, apparently) told me that it was just a case (flight case?? :p) of waiting for them to phone Phase 3 when a flight case became avaiable. In other words, same old ****, different day!! It's a bit of a shambles really isn't it?

Regards

Jim :rolleyes:

PS She did say that I'd be upgraded within a week and then said perhaps a fortnight! :confused:

PPS The horrible stickers are optional!

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Hi Jim.

You’re right.. it is a bit of shambles!

I too left a £100 deposit at my dealer at pretty much the same time as you. So looks like we’re in the same camp.

I’m looking forward to the upgrade, mostly for DPL2 & THX Ultra2.
    However, I so love the sound of the existing DACs in pure direct mode that I’m a little nervous the new ones might provide an unwanted change of character.
    I hope in this regard it really is better, not just different!

Good luck. Let’s hope when the flight cases arrive, they do the upgrades quickly and don’t run out of new boxes to return them in.

Jules

4. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Jules!

Phase 3 did phone me this morning and said that Denon UK were doing the upgrades in strict relation to confirmation of booking i.e. first come first served. There are apparently two guys at Hayden Labs doing the upgrades. I will be phoned when the flight case arrives, apparently. To my mind this might be part of the cause of the delays. If Phase 3 were to phone me on Monday to say that the flight case had arrived and I didn't bother to take my unit in until the Friday (for example) then this would obviously hold up the next guy in line and so on? I was given the same 1-2 weeks timescale again.

Regards

Jim :)

PS As soon as I receive the call I'll be hot-footing it over to Worthing with my unit. There will be NO delay! :D

5. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I received a call yesterday afternoon (Thursday 13th) to say that my flight case had arrived in Worthing. I delivered my amp there at 10am this morning (Friday) so, as it was there before the 11am pick-up deadline, I assume that it is now be sitting at Hayden Labs ready for first thing on Monday morning. I'm therefore hoping it will be back with me before the end of next week.

Regards

PS Please let me be able to hear a difference!! :rolleyes:

PPS I was told that the dealer was only allowed to keep the flight case for 2 days and then you were sent to the end of the queue if you didn't deliver your amp to them within that timescale!:(

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I hope that PPS isn't true cos Sevenoaks in Lincoln have mine and it's been there since Wednesday! They never mentioned anything about the 2 days, anyway taking it in tomorrow, after the footy, think I'll be lucky to get it back by the end of next week, 2 weekends without it, how will I ever manage?!?!

Cheers
    Andy

7. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Perhaps it was just the dealer trying to persuade me to deliver it to them as soon as possible, rather than a Denon decree. I can see a point to it though if there is a limited number of flight cases. In an extreme case, imagine 10 flight cases serving the whole UK, 10 flight cases lying at the dealers and everyone taking a week to get their units to the dealer. The 10 people next in line would already be a week behind etc.

Regards

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Good luck Jim, hope it goes ok.

Looks like you've beaten me to it - I've heared nothing yet.
    I'm grateful to you for hurrying your amp to the dealer, 'cos that means there'll be minimal delay for at least 1 more flight case.

Naturally, I'll do the same when I get the phone call.

Regards
    Jules

9. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Well, what d-ya know!

Today is Saturday, and I just got a call to say my flight case has arrived.
    I'll wizz it down to the dealers on Monday.
    Can't wait !

Jules

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm confused and a pit miffed about what happened when I took mine in to the dealer today. I rang on Thursday and asked if the flight case had arrived to which I was told yes it had and also to ask for an approx turnaround time, to which they couldn't really give me an answer. Anyway took my amp in today and said 'presumably it will go to Denon on Monday now' only to be told that they haven't actually got the flight case because Denon wouldn't send it until the dealer had my amp! mmmmm.... well I can just see my amp sitting at the dealer now for ages waiting for a spare flight case to turn up, think I'll call Denon and speak to Stephanie first thing Monday to find out what's going on. I haven't heard a similar story of Denon refusing to send a flight case until the amp was taken to the dealer, everyone seems to be getting a call from the dealer when the flight case turns up!
    Anyway we'll see what happens...

Cheers
    Andy

11. MoonsSpawn

MoonsSpawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zAndy1,

Something defnitely weird there.

When I contacted my dealer about the upgrade I was told that all they needed was the serial number of the amp, not the amp itself. They then contacted Denon, arranged for the flight case to be sent out and only when it arrived was I asked to take my amp in.

Moons.

12. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Isn't it funny how you get different stories from different people?? It's 1pm on Monday afternoon and I've just come off the phone to Denon, just to reiterate that I didn't want any stickers on the front flap of my unit. Stepahnie was out to lunch but her assistant told me that, although my unit was picked up on Friday, it wouldn't physically arrive at Hayden Labs until today. I was originally told that it would arrive back at Hayden on the same day as the pick-up. Hmmm, so I asked when I would have my unit returned to me and she said.......................wait for it......................they had run out of packaging:mad: :mad: :mad: AGAIN!!! How difficult is it to arrange to have the requisite quantity of packaging in stock???? :mad: The good news (can you really call it that??) is that the delay will only be "for a couple of days." Now, haven't we heard that one somewhere before?? If I have been told about this shortage last week, I could have given them my original box and packaging!

What a bloody saga of incompetence this whole upgrade episode has been.

Regards

Jim :(

13. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Jim

Got my amp back last Friday and it was returned to the dealer in an A11SR box. So they can get round the packaging problem if needed, unless they´ve run out of those as well.:eek:

Its took just over 7 weeks for mine to be done (thanks to the dealer not contacting Denon when he was supposed to!) but its worth it, the amp sounds amazing.:D

And you dont want the stickers on the front, definitely not, they´re naff.

14. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Hi guys.

This really sounds like it went passed being some sort of a joke a long time ago.
    I'm not going to be a happy bunny if my amp takes very much longer than the 7-10 days I've been quoted.

And maybe I'm being too choosey, but I want my amp returned in a KAVC-A1SE box. I'm the proud owner of the flagship model, and don't want it packaged in any other box.

Incidentally, I took my unit to the dealers in its original packaging so maybe they'll use that (acceptable). Or, will it have been transported to Denon 'naked' in the flight case ?

If I demonstrated the same organisational incompetence in my job, I'd be collecting my P45 ! Its just pants!

Jules

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here Jules, took mine in last Saturday, I'll be annoyed to say the least if I haven't got it back by a week this Friday. Think I'll call Denon tomorrow and just check whether they've received it yet actually..

Cheers
    Andy

16. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I took my amp to the the dealer I didn't take my original box/packing with me. I actually fitted it in the flight case myself after carefully placing my remote control in the recess below it. The dealer found some bubble wrap to stop the remote from sliding about in this recess which went from one side of the case to the other. I'd have thought that they might have made it an exact fit?

Jules, I'd imagine that your original case is still at the dealer (hopefully) or in the bin already!:( If I'd known about the shortage of packing I'd have instructed them to use my original packing and insisted the courier uplifted it with the amp.

As I took my unit in last Friday, I was expecting mine to be back with me before THIS coming weekend! I think you are being too lenient giving them 2 weeks, Andy! "Fastrack" should mean exactly that, fast. They have two guys doing the upgrades and I'm sure it's not a difficult job to do.

Here's the quote from the Denon UK website :-

"All amplifiers will be shipped from the dealer to Hayden Laboratories in a specifically designed flight-case for maximum protection. Upon arrival your amplifier will be fast tracked through our service department where the upgrade will be implemented. It will then be fully tested and returned to you via your dealer in a brand new carton with packaging."

I too will be on the phone tomorrow (Wednesday)!! :devil:

Regards

17. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Blimey, no wonder Yamaha don't get involved with upgrades...
    Flight cases, non-fitting bubble wrap for remotes, two week turn arounds, only two guys upgrading...
    Nah... make 'em wait then buy the new model, who do they think we are Lexicon or Tag or something.
    C'mon guys give Denon U.K. a break...

18. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "C'mon guys give Denon U.K. a break..."

Humph! They've had more breaks than the Kit-Kat factory and still can't get it right!

Regards

Jim :p

19. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Jim Robson,
    :)

20. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm hopping mad:mad:!!

I phoned Stephanie at Hayden labs this afternoon at 4.30pm but had to speak to her voice mail. She phoned me 10 mins later to say.....................wait for it..................that my amp had been dispatched this very afternoon and would be ready for collection, from Phase 3 in Worthing, tomorrow afternoon (Thursday). Yippee! It would appear that they have sorted out the packaging problem rather swiftly and I'm now happy again.

Regards

Jim :D

PS I was only joking about being hopping mad!! I'm hopping about like a happy bunny instead!:p

21. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Hi,
    Mine went off 1 day after yours Jim, so it too could be back before weekend.
    However, I'm not going to get too excited yet!
    I'll save my joy fro the day it's back home.

(although, I'm genuinely not looking forward to heaving around the 30kg monster, and spending all day on my knees reconnecting hundreds of cables.)

Jules

22. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, it's 4pm and I have just returned home with my amp. Guess what, it's NOT my amp! :confused: It has a totally different serial number on it!!:mad: I also put 4 brand new Duracell Ultra M3 AA batteries into the remote control before I sent it off and guess what, there are just ordinary batteries in the remote I now have. I also stuck a label inside the remote stating when the batteries were replaced. The top of my unit was readily identifiable and this one is definitely different.

There's no way I want somebody else's amp even though it appears to have a much newer serial number than mine! Warranty would be a huge problem for a start. Obviously I'm going to use this amp until they sort it out but I wouldn't want some yahoo blowing the guts out of my own amp just because it wasn't his.

I'll keep you posted!

Regards

PS Jules, it was returned in an ordinary AVC-A1SE box by the way. Gold AND Black stickers included in the instruction pack, by the way.

23. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    oh!!!! JIm
    this is very serious, obviously someone will get yours and how widespread is this.My amp is still awaiting the flight case but it gives u food for thought, i hope they compensate u for this

keep us posted

regrards

richard

24. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just been called by Iris, the Customer Services Manager from Hayden Labs and apparently my unit is lying at Phase Three Hi-Fi in Southampton and I have been given the unit for a customer of theirs down there. Apparently Hayden Labs stuck the wrong amps in the wrong plastic bags as the job numbers written on the bags were correct. Nissan Express/Phase Three weren't at fault either. It was sheer coincidence that the two amps were being upgraded via Phase Three at exactly the same time.

Sadly I won't be receiving a brand new AVC-A1SR as compensation for losing my amp now. :(

Regards

PS I hope the owner of the amp I have likes the gold sticker stuck on top of the unit. That's where I put it anyway before I realised it wasn't my baby!

25. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Hi,

I got mine back today too (a day earlier than my most optimistic expectations).

I feel for you Jim.. I was worried about just that scenario when I saw another upgraded A1SE at the dealer when I collected mine. Fortunately it was a black one, so less likely to have been mixed up with my gold one.

After checking it thoroughly, I can report it is mine and
    performing fantastically.
    I'll play with it some more and post my thoughts in a couple of days.

PS... what's all the fuss about the stickers?
    I stuck them on myself and its abosultely fine. Maybe they changed the colour of them to make a better match.
    Honestly, you can hardly tell.

I think I've been incredibly lucky with the upgrade. For me everything has gone very smoothly. Bad luck Jim... let us know
    how you get on.

Jules

26. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Just called seven oaks in leeds, my flight case will be in today sometime so i will take my amp down Monday, did anyone get there remote upgraded as well i heard it wipes off all the setting.
    wish me luck

richard

27. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You dont have to have to the remote upgraded if you dont want to, didnt bother with mine. All it gives you really, is when you go into the setup or surround menus the cursor/page button is selected automatically, you dont have to select it manually anymore.

28. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sure you'll all be relieved to hear that I had my OWN unit delivered to me at 9.30pm this evening. It all seems to be working as it should. :)

I've been trying (not hard enough!) for a year (unsuccessfully) to find somebody to come and set it up, properly. Any offers? :eek: Perhaps someone without the upgrade might like to hear the difference before they shell out £600? :)

Regards

Jim
    :D

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I took my amp into the dealer a week ago last Saturday and there's still no sign of it, at this rate I won't have it back by the weekend and if that's the case I won't be very happy, especially considering Jules took his in after me and he's had it back nearly a week now!

Andy

30. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I MISS MY AMP!!! I have been ampless since Saturday, life seems less important all of a sudden