A1-SR Settings

installer09

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi guys , when I play cd's or dvd audio I use the external input . and always play dvd audio in two channel stereo , I also use the direct mode , what I want to know is , are my main speakers being sent a full range signal ( I have them set to small ) or is the amp crossover (I use the thx mode) still sending everything below 80hz to the sub?

i have a a1se and with pure direct and direct it sets the L&R as large and uses the sub as well, at least, mine does!

Hi

When you use the External Input Setting for Dvd Audio you should be getting full range signals (unless your dvd audio player has bass management). For CD, the signals will be full range.

The A1SR also has full bass management on its External Input so you can engage this if you need to.

Direct & Pure Direct modes send full range signals to the fronts regardless of what you have selected for the speakers (small/large). This would be when you are using a normal analogue or digital input for cd playback. You can switch the sub off for Direct & Pure Direct modes if you want to. Just go into the individual channel level settings for each mode and lower the SW channel to -12db then OFF.

If you are engaging Pure Direct mode, is there any benefit to plugging your CD player to the EXT1 or 2 inputs as Installer does, or the normal CD analogue inputs on the A1SR?

Just curious :)

Originally posted by UrbanT
If you are engaging Pure Direct mode, is there any benefit to plugging your CD player to the EXT1 or 2 inputs as Installer does, or the normal CD analogue inputs on the A1SR?

Just curious :)

I doubt there is much difference. Its possible there might be cleaner signal via the External Inputs (with bass management switched OFF), than using an analogue input and switching the SW channel OFF.

As far as I´m aware though, Denon tried to make sure that when using an analogue input with Pure Direct mode nothing affected the signal (hence the option to switch OFF the sub channel).

Thanks guys , my 3800 has the 6 channel outputs for dvd audio and one other set for cd I guess , but im just using the 6 channel out for both , so when im playing 2 channel I guess the other 4 are redundant. My 3800 has bass management for stereo which ive switched on , ive just bought a Stentor 11 of Charlie and have connected it with just the low level connection , am I using the best arrangement?

I would use the High Level connection as well. This means you can set all speakers to small, all bass to sub using the low level connection for most modes (Stereo, PL2 etc).

Then you can use the High Level connection for Direct & Pure Direct modes switching OFF the SW channel (and the low level phono output) to get the cleanest signal and avoid bass doubling.

Its one of the best features of Rel subs, the ability to connect via both High & Low level at the same time.

The thing is I dont have seperate controls for high and low level. At present the coarse and fine filter is turned up full and volume is on half , then all the other settings are done on the amp. So pure direct shuts off the sub low level ? I would then also have to turn the bass management off on my dvd player .

Pure Direct shuts off the low level output if you want it to. By default its ON.

It must be the later Rel Stentor III that has the seperate High & Low level volume controls etc then. In that case, just stick with using the Low level connection only.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom