a working solution to a wireless xboxlive 360

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by beckzito, Mar 14, 2006.

1. beckzito

beckzito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi people

Just wondering if theres a safe buy in order to connect my living room 360 to a pc with net on another part of the house, roughly at 15meters and with 2 walls in their way.
    I thought of a router(lynksys have good rep around here)but with all these wireless norms and others Im just afraid of buying a useless piece who cannot connect to a 360 for xboxlive and file sharing or get a real weak signal.
    What are your general ideas please?

2. chuwright

chuwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a linksys WAG54GX2 which performs very well though two thick walls. Simple to setup, and doesn't run as hot as the Netgear it replaced. Router placement is important, as this can affect the signal strength. Get a very strong signal on the 360, which was much weaker on the Netgear.

3. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Just make sure the store you buy it from has a decent returns policy. Big stores should allow for 7 days no questions asked for things like that. Dixons did when I tested one of their Freeview boxes :)

4. safekidda

safekidda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah its a good idea to go somewhere who won't moan about returns because no matter how many reccomendations you get you never know for definate how your kit will perform in your particular environment. The safest bet would be to get an offical ms usb adapter and a router which supports 802.11a (these are a bit expensive and hard to come by) Then you're pretty much guarentueed it'll all work perfectly.

I've already got a router and am on the hunt for a cheap wireless bridge as i'm on a budget (unlike most people on here who seem to have pretty deep pockets:D) , i'm considering a belkin one from ebuyer, i get all my i.t. stuff through work so there's no vat or delivery to pay:thumbsup: . You can find it here £32.85 ex vat, not bad and you'll have no problems sending stuff back to ebuyer.

I've also spotted some cheap netgear bridges on ebay, saw this one go for £25 last night including delivery

5. michaelT1888

michaelT1888
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i have a linsky router, and i am currently using a linskys wirelss adapter downstairs and my router is upstairs. Dont worry my mate steals his neighbours wireless connection for his PSP so i think thick walls dont cause problems

6. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep, got the same Linksys setup (even if it is still connected tomy Xbox, not my 360 :oops: )

No probs in my old (new build) house with 3 thin walls and about 25-30 foot distance, and also no probs in my new (old 1900's) house with 1 thick wall and 20-25 foot gap :thumbsup:

But as others have mentioned, good idea to buy it from somewhere you can take it back to if you do have problems :)

Is there some way for the 360 to display signal strength? (I haven't got as far as that yet...)

If not - check it out by setting up a wireless laptop next to your 360, then moving the router round till you get the best signal :cool:

good luck!

7. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    I have a linksys wrt54gs router and can't for the life of me get the wireless working with my 360. Got the wireless working find with all the computers in my house, but the wireless network adaptor (wireless wusb54gs) i got with the router just doesn't seem to wanna work. What am i doin wrong? Do i need to buy an official wireless adaptor or can i somehow get mine to work. At the moment i've just tried pluggin in it my usb ports on my 360 and playing about with the settings, but to not avail. Any help much appreciated.

8. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    From what I've heard, the only USB wireless adaptor that works with the 360 is the official MS one - drivers (lack of) on the 360 is the issue.

A wireless adaptor with a 'normal' network cable stuck in the network port works ok though - but that doesn't help you, sorry :(

9. xXTwin BladeXx

xXTwin BladeXx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    sorry to hijack the thread, didnt want to start a new one, but i have recently bought a wireless D-Link router and was wanting to connect to xbox live wirelessly, s there anything at all i have to do apart from but the wireless adapter in the back of the 360 and let it connect automatically? in other wiords will it find a signal from my router and just atach itself to it?

10. FlawlessAbyss

FlawlessAbyss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes it will as long as the D-Link has been set to defaults. The router will have (techie talk) a pool of DHCP addresses and one is assigned to each device. So there should be not problems. One bit of advice though, if you go through the D-Link manual it will should you how to isolate your network so neighbours can use your connection.

Hope this answers your question.

Owen

11. pilgrimchris

pilgrimchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just wondering why 802.11a routers are so hard to come by? particularly as the official ms wireless adaptor supports this (& dual band).

Also has anyone tried the new pre-N MIMO kit thats available ? It also claims to improve 802.11g&b coverage and speed by 50+%

12. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's raised a question for me - but luckily it might also be relevant to the main thread :)

What would happen if you are surrounded by a number of 'open' wireless networks - how do you get it to connect to yours, not next doors'?

13. safekidda

safekidda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When it says select wireless network from the list you select yours and not your neighbours(unless they have a faster connection than you) or is that too complicated;)

14. SagaLout

SagaLout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Avoid the common netgear routers fi you have any walls to go through. They are decent enough as normal routers but their signal strength is poor. Draytek Vigors are great routers for providing a strong signal but expect to pay over £100.

15. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    If you think you might want to have Media Centre streaming High Def video files at some point...DONT go wireless, it cant be done, certainly not through a wall.

16. FlawlessAbyss

FlawlessAbyss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Opps my spelling and grammer is so bad...

"One bit of advice though, if you go through the D-Link manual it will should you how to isolate your network so neighbours can use your connection."

This should of read...One bit of advice though, if you go through the D-Link manual should show you how to isolate your network so neighbours cannot use you router.

Phew

17. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah - cheers for that :smashin:
    I do that with my PC, cos when it[/b] finds a selection of wireless networks, it tells me about them all, and gives me the choice.
    Which is kinda nice really :)
    (And yes, it does default to mine, cos that's what I've got set in my preferred network list)

However...
    When I connected my Linksys wireless game thingy to my 360, it didn't do anything like that.

This may have been because it was previously connected to my Xbox, and I may have done this 'choose from a list' thing waaaaay back, and the wireless box has stored that.

In which case, you're right, it was a pretty dumb question, so apologies :cool:

18. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    good call :smashin:

MY network is nice and secure (well, secure enough without going mad), but there are at least 3 others within range of me that aren't :D

Not that I would use their bandwidth just cos mine has gone pop, of course! :nono: