A Whole New Setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Swizz, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Yet somebody else that is looking for advise if I may. Looking to upgrade from my KEF 2005.1 and Denon AVR-2311. I am on the look out for the best sound quality 5.1 speakers that £900 will take me, this would include bookshelf speakers a center and of course a Sub. I already have my eye set on the Denon AVR-X2200W. I believe the X2200W is due out this month if somebody could correct me about that?

The whole system itself will be mostly used for movies. Sky and a little music as well
    I already have a few suggestions of my own..To which I would like to chew them over with you guys, and see which comes out on top. Also if anybody else has any other suggestions please could you throw them my way.

Q ACOUSTICS 3020. - 5.1
    WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 220 HCP
    Focal Dome 5.1

I appreciate all feed back, thank you all.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    £900 is not really going to get you an upgrade over your current speakers to be honest. So if you are hoping to improve sound quality then I am not sure you are going to achieve this with the budget you have. You are basically buying the same level of receiver and speakers that you currently have. So they will be nice and new but not really going to sound any better.
    Go have a demo of the systems you are looking at and see what you think and whether it is worth the money over your current system.

3. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I know when I furst purchased the Kef 2005.01 from Richer Sounds..I handed over just under a quarter of what the above are standing at, at around the £900 mark, minus the receiver. Saying that the main reason for the change is because I am getting ready for 4k.

I heard some good things about the Focal Dome's. I thought they were going to be an upstep from what I currently have? Unfortunately I will not be able to listen to them, because they do not stock them.

Hopefully in a week or so I will go to Richer Sounds and take a demo and see what is what.

In your opinion, what receiver/receivers should I be looking at for an improvement?

Again the budget is £900 for the speakers and the sub and upto £500 for the receiver.

Thanks again.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I would look to double both budgets to get a significant upgrade unless you get something on a big discount.

5. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    On the word of receivers, the 13/14 models have been reduced significantly from what I have seen. And as tempting as they are I will have to wait until' the 15 models have hit the shelves and take it from there I think. I will not be needing Atmos or DTS:X, because I will not be exceeding past 5.1. Also I will need at least 2 HDCP 2.2 ports with the receiver that I am wanting

6. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    If you were prepared to go secondhand from the Classifieds section, you may well be able to secure what would have been a much more expensive setup when new, which would still be producing the benefits in-room now :)

7. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Suggestion for a 5.1 speaker set:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/acoustic-energy-3-series-review

Several good reviews out there and a much reduced price since launch although possibly still a little over budget. I suspect sub will be better for music than movies. Have no idea how these would compare with your current KEFs though.

8. sims

sims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    If wanting to buy new.....
    LR: Monitor audio BX2 - £150
    Centre: Monitor audio BX Centre - £100
    Surrounds: Monitor audio BXFX - £150
    Subwoofer: BK XXLS400 - £425
    TOTAL - £825

9. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Thanks guys for all of your advise from above. *two thumbs up* I am taking everything on board and noting as I go along.

10. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  11. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I do appreciate you pointing those out for me, MemX but I would like to purchase everything new if I can help it. Cheers.

12. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Next week I am going to be test running the Monitor audio Bronze BX/BXFX's along with the DALI ZENSOR 1's at Richer Sounds. I was wondering as the BX are Front Ported and the DALI ZENSOR 1 are Rear Ported, what are the differences exactly? With sound quality, etc? Cheers. By the way the BK XXLS400 is definitely on my list to tick off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  13. sims

sims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    The main difference is front ported is more forgiving of placement because it's less advisable to put a rear ported speaker close to wall due to boundary reinforcement.

There's a possibility at high volume that a front port brings more attention to itself if there's port noise or chuffing but the possibility seems limited.

All this may be of little relevance if you are getting a subwoofer as you will be crossing it over at higher frequency than the port tuning frequency, so you may be better off plugging the port with the supplied bungs.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  14. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I was enquiring about how much it would cost to ship out the Sub to where I am located, as he responded it would be £13.95 and also said "We start our annual holiday from tommorow evening and will not be back until the 3rd August. As we build our subwoofers to order we may not be able to complete the order until after the 3rd August"

15. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Just a little update on the situation I got in touch with Richer Sounds and unfortunately they are not able to supply me with the Monitor audio BX package. But instead they have suggested another, they are called the MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE 2. He explained that this particular set of speakers are better then the speakers that I asked for in the range.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/monitor-audio/bronze-2/moni-audi-bron-2-wal

I was wondering, Sims? Or anybody else that may have a little knowledge on this, are these worth considering at all? Cheers.

16. sims

sims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Bronze 2 are the 2015 replacements for the BX line. I don't think your budget will stretch to it and I'm not sure you'll find many who have heard them because of how new they are.

17. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Being the replacement for the bx range they will basically be the same quality but more expensive as they are new.

18. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I was wondering why I was not able to find much on them on the Net, as in reviews etc...

Saying that I will be able to push the boat a little more if I am getting quality. He also stated that I could have a discount considering I wanted the BX. For the Bronze 2. Fronts/Rears and a Center would come to 720..But I can have them for 650. Looking on the specs, do you think they are a better speaker for the price? Thanks again.

19. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Getting a discount on a new model is always good. If you wanted the bx then the bronze will be at least as good. Sounds a good price to me.

20. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    That's great!

I may still be able to get the MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BXFX, if I choose to do, so..Will they be okay with the Bronze 2? Or would it be advisable to receive 4 Bronze 2 speakers?

21. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I would stick with bronze all around if going that way.

22. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I see they have released an up to date version of the BXFX and simply called it the FX. I think I will be getting those as well.

23. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    To be blunt, this is why manufacturers love AV, bells, whistles and fads. Unless you go used you're wasting your money on a sideways step. It is the A in the AV, I don't see why 4K comes in to it unless it is from a salesmen perspective.

They may claim huge improvements but for me (certainly at this price point) the audio side hasn't made huge advancements since DD. Yet people want the latest format so manufacturers will produce something to a price point to exploit the market.

I'd honestly enjoy what you have and save your money, buy used or increase your budget.

While surround sound if fun it is full of marketing BS and so glad I stripped my system back to two channel, I don't worry about 'upgrades' in the same way and my system is far better now I don't spread the budget over multiple channels and new processing formats.

Going from 5.1 to 2.0 on the same budget can be not far off going from a notch or two above 'toys' to professional gear.

24. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    As the thread seems to have gone, you will have a hard time doing better than the Bronze or the Zensor in this price range -

Dali Bronze Zensor 1 5.1 Package -

Superfi - Dali Zensor 1 5.1 Home Cinema Speaker Package

Monitor Audio Bronze 2 5.1 Package -

Superfi - Monitor Audio Bronze 2 5.1 Home Cinema Speaker Package

If you can still find them, you should be able to get fantastic deals on the previous Bronze BX series ... if you can still find them.

Though the packages and the Subs would have to be evaluated individually, it might be possible to trim the cost back by choosing a Subwoofer from a Company like BK Electronics --

BK Electronics - SubWoofers

And though well above your stated budget, this is still a pretty nice system -

Monitor Audio Bronze 5 5.1 Package -

Superfi - Monitor Audio Bronze 5 5.1 Home Cinema Speaker Package

No advantage price wise, but the Zensor 5 would work well for someone wanting modest sized speakers -

Dali Zensor 5 5.1 Package -

Superfi - Dali Zensor 5 5.1 Home Cinema Speaker Package

The Dale Zensor 5 have 2x5" (130mm) bass drivers making for some pretty compact floorstanding speakers. Equally, the Bronze 5 have 2x5.5" bass drivers, so these are not huge speakers.

Unfortunately, no one bundles Wharfedale Speakers into packages, but they are none the less speakers worth considering.

£199/pr = Wharfedale Diamond 220 Bookshelf Front
    £199/pr = Wharfedale Diamond 220 Bookshelf Surround
    £199/ea = Wharfedale Diamond 220C Center Speaker
    £315/ea = BK Electronics XLS-200 Subwoofer
    -------------------
    £912 = TOTAL

Superfi - Wharfedale Diamond 220 Speakers (Pair)

Superfi - Wharfedale Diamond 220C Centre Speaker

BK Electronics - XLS200-DF Subwoofer

The only complaint on the Wharfedale Diamond 100/200 is that the circular grill on the tweeter causes problems which can easily be rectified by simply removing that one Grill.

The speaker in the following review is the equivalent to the current Diamond 220 -

Wharfedale Diamond 121 Speakers Review by...

The Monitor Audio Bronze series has the advantage of having the Bronze FX Surround Speaker -

Superfi - Monitor Audio Bronze FX Surround Speakers (Pair)

The Bronze FX give a more dispersed or spread out sound field.

The Bronse Sub is £500, so you can save about £200 by simply getting the XLS-200 (FF or DF) Subwoofer from BK Electronics. Though it wouldn't hit it quite on, using a BK Sub could bring the package price of the new Bronze down to about $1000.

You could trim about another £100 (total) off the price by getting the Bronze 1 in front.

£230/pr = Bronze 1
    £280/ea = Bronze FX
    £160/pr = Bronze Center
    £315/ea = BK Elect XLS-200
    ----------------------
    £985 = TOTAL

That system above is about the equivalent of the Wharfedale Diamond 220 system. In the Diamond 220 the front speakers are 5" (130mm), in the Bronze, the front speaker are 5.5" (140mm).

The Bronze 2 have a larger 6.5" (165mm) bass driver.

So, very hard to hit £900 or less and still maintain quality, but if you can shift to about £1000, any of these speaker packages is worthy.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  25. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I can push the budget up to £1000 I have taken a liking to the Bronze series.

Between the BK Elect XLS-200 and XXLS400 is there much difference at all? Also what is the meaning of FF and DF? Which one should I be aiming for?

Cheers.

26. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    By the way just to add Richer Sounds has offered me a discount for the Bronze 2/Bronze FX/Bronze Center, that coming to £650

27. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    FF - Forward firing. Speaker facing forward as with conventional speakers .
    DF - Downward Firing. Speaker facing downwards.

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400.htm
    The above link is just to show what they look like physically.

Both have the same performance so Which one to get is down to preference but if you live above another person or the setup is upstairs, the FF might be best.

Beside being bigger and more powerful, The XXLS400 has the bigger driver 12" compared to the 10"of the xls200.

I have the 200 And it performance is is excellent for my needs and room size. Nice tight, round bass and good depth. I would expect the 400 to be better

28. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308

Certainly the BK XXLS400 is the better Sub, but it is also more expensive; a £110 more. Only you can decide if it is worth the extra money.

As someone else explained -

- FF is Front Firing

- DF is Down Firing

For me, the advantage of Down Firing is that, when you look at the box, all you see is wood. With Front Firing you see the grill or the driver.

XXLS-400 Front Firing -

XXLS400-FF

XXLS-400 Down Firing -

XXLS400-DF

XXLS400-DF Cherry

XXLS400-DF Walnut

I've inquired about this before, and people have told me there is little to no performance difference between Front and Down Firing. But you might want to give some thought to your circumstances. For example if you live in a Flat and have neighbors below, they probably won't appreciate you pointing a large Subwoofer at them.

If you have no one below you, then not a problem having down firing.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  29. Swizz

Swizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Some very useful information, thank you both for your time. I live in a semi detached house with carpet fitted all through out the house, which about turns to my next question..If it's firing down, wouldn't that muffle the sound of the Sub in all way?

30. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    That is the very question I asked, and the response was NO. Unless of course it is exceptionally thick carpet ... like 2 inches.

Steve/bluewizard