• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

A what pvr question, sort of

Wireforks

Standard Member
I was using my sky+ box for fsfs. Now it's dead. I need a pvr or i'm going to die.

I'd like to use freesat through the pvr and if I can, use the built in freeview on the tv (Panasonic P37X10B) for the channels I can't get on freesat (Dave, for example.)

I couldn't see any reasons why I shouldn't order a Humax Foxsat HDR 500GB to plug my dish into. If this isn't a good choice I'd welcome suggestions for alternatives.

In anticipation of getting one, do I need to run another cable from the dish, though? I think the LNB has 4 connectors iirc and i currently use 2 of them (1 'shotgun' cable.)

Many thanks.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Any twin tuner Freesat pvr including the Foxsat is a straight swap for your Sky+ box. Just connect the existing pair to the two inputs. You only need to wire extra if you want to feed more satellite tuners.

Captainkremmen

I was using my sky+ box for fsfs. Now it's dead. I need a pvr or i'm going to die.

I'd like to use freesat through the pvr and if I can, use the built in freeview on the tv (Panasonic P37X10B) for the channels I can't get on freesat (Dave, for example.)

I couldn't see any reasons why I shouldn't order a Humax Foxsat HDR 500GB to plug my dish into. If this isn't a good choice I'd welcome suggestions for alternatives.

In anticipation of getting one, do I need to run another cable from the dish, though? I think the LNB has 4 connectors iirc and i currently use 2 of them (1 'shotgun' cable.)

Many thanks.

If you currently have two feeds from your dish into your Sky+ then it is, as graham says, just a case of swapping out the Sky box for the Humax and connecting the same two cables. Run the Humax's tuning (which it will do automatically I believe when you switch it on for the first time), and all should be fine. Although other Freesat HD PVRs are available the Humax looks to be by far the best even if it is now a couple of years old so a good choice there.

Just bear in mind if you have a Sky subscription currently, that you wont get any of the pay Sky channels and even a few of the free ones are missing on Freesat as they are still encrypted on Sky. It's also been reported that a few of the missing Five channels (Five* and Five USA) come to Freesat in the next couple of weeks.

MarkE19

You can use the TV's Freeview tuner to watch the channels as long as you have a TV aerial to feed the tuner. However you wont be able to record these channels as the Freesat PVR can only record the channels received from your dish/LNB.

Mark.

Wireforks

Standard Member
Guys, thanks for your helpful replies. My Humax box arrived today from Amazon and it couldn't have been any easier to plumb it in and start using it. My only gripe is that the handset for it isn't terribly responsive and it seems to be fussy about being pointed straight at the box. Removing the film covers from the front and under the flap have improved this but it still isn't anything to dance about. Anyone know if they're all like this or did I get a dud?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom