A what laptop thread

zantarous

Distinguished Member
so the time has come I think to replace my 14 year old Dell desktop, it still surprisingly works really well, runs the latest Win 10, but is limited to 4GB RAM and can now get quite noisy and pumps out a lot of heat. Its main purpose nowdays is just being a Blu-ray/4K disc ripper which it actually does really well and can transfer at 110MB/s acrosss the network to the NAS.

I also have a Dell i5 laptop that is fanless and tops out at 1.2Ghz and is starting to really annoy me as you try and do a Zoom call and browse a webpage and it starts struggling and I have had enough of this poor performance and want to get something super nice and modern.

Looking at around a budget of £1.5k, can go over if need be but being under would be better.

What am I looking for:

i7 (although feel free to tell me how there are better i5s with more Cores)
16GB RAM as a minimum 32 would be better but I guess that is where the cost just flies up
512 or 1TB SSD
2x USBC for docking and power and if possible Thunderbolt enabled for super fast data transfer (you don't realsie how slow a 1gig network is until you transferring 100GB+ of data
Screen size 13.3"-15" is around the sweet spot I think especially with how slim bezels are nowadays.
Not fussed if it high framerate but would like the option of UHD or touch but not essential.
Windows Hello compatible Webcam for easy log in would be great.

Not really sure I will game on this thing but it would be nice to have the option or at the very least run some PS2/Gamecube emulators with all the bells and whistles.

What will I use it for:

Ripping media CDs/Blu/4K (I will likely take the drive from my current Desktop and put it in a external caddy)
Web surfing
Video editing
Video Remuxing
Sound editing

I have a work Lenovo X1 Yoga so looking for something that is at least as portable as that although to be fair it is very rarely likely to leave my desk and if it does it will probably be used on my lap on the sofa so would be nice if it didn't burn the hell out of me.

Part of me says just replace the desktop with another desktop but I think I a laptop would suffice.

tickedon

You'll be looking at the gaming/premium end of the market, couple of examples worth looking at:

Dell G5 15 Inch Gaming Laptop with Intel® 10th Gen CPU | Dell UK - but only 1 USB-C with thunderbolt.

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=16X96EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB - 2x Thunderbolt on this one

Dell typically have offers on so can usually get it discounted below the headline price there.

Both have the Intel 'H' CPUs which are designed for performance over battery life, which would seem to meet your use cases better.

zantarous

Distinguished Member
You'll be looking at the gaming/premium end of the market, couple of examples worth looking at:

Dell G5 15 Inch Gaming Laptop with Intel® 10th Gen CPU | Dell UK - but only 1 USB-C with thunderbolt.

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=16X96EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB - 2x Thunderbolt on this one

Dell typically have offers on so can usually get it discounted below the headline price there.

Both have the Intel 'H' CPUs which are designed for performance over battery life, which would seem to meet your use cases better.
Thanks man, both look like good options, I was looking at the XPS 15 2020 and the price for eye watering compared to these. I need to have a think about whether I want beast performance or light and portable.

tickedon

I really like the look of the HP laptop but I am struggling to find any info about it outside of the HP website, is this a really new model?
Yes, both are new models with new CPUs (Intel 10th gen). Not every model gets reviewed, but I imagine more info will appear over the next few weeks as people start recieving and commenting on their own models.

Atomic77

If you want something worth talkin about go Ryzen. I just got a laptop and its pretty smooth all though I haven't done too much with it yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom