1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a wee bit confused...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BigN, Sep 17, 2004.

1. BigN

BigN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in the market for a new dvd player and its bean a while since i was up to speed on dvd/home cinema...

i've currently got the mk1 wharfdale dvd750 player thats still churning away quite nicely but the lack of media support (dvd-r) and new formats, dvd-a and sacd etc.. coupled with the noisey drive mechanism have driven me to get a new player.

i currently have a marantz 4200 amp and a 32" tosh with component and rgb inputs.

i'm very happy with both the tosh tv and the marantz amp so will more than likely go for a dvd player produced by eitether unless a better player can be had for the money.

with that in mind i was going to go for the marantz 4300 or 4400 dvd players but they seem at odds - the 4300 is older yet more expensive - what is the better dvd player in terms of sound and picture. any opinions or reviews on these two machines?

also when i last looked the tosh 210 was king of the dvd players - are tosh still up there...

i'm looking to spend up to £200 but less is always better ;) - anyone able to offer any suggestions, criteria being good sound and picture quality, quite in operation and able to do dvd-r. is progressive worth onsidering - planning to do plasma within a year.

cheers...

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    I am looking for a new player with the same criteria as you. It will be used with a projector so component and progressive is the main thing.

I have narrowed it down to either the Pioneer 470 or Sony 585. These are around £100 to £120 multi region.

If you would like to get into SACD and DVD Audio. The pioneer 575 is the same as the 470 plus those two formats. It retails at around £150 multi region.

I have never been a fan of Marantz DVD players. The ones I have used are extremely slow in operation and the picture wasn't that great.