A way to insert 16:9 flag w/o re-encoding

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Nielo TM, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Hey guys

Short version: Are there any softwares that can re-insert 16:9 flags back into MPEG-2 files without re-enoding?

If you prefer the long story, here it is ;-)

I've been editing the contents of DVD-VR successfully for over a year using Ulead Media Studio 8 and TMPGenc DVD Author. But now, I ran into a slight problem maintaining 16:9 aspect ratio.

I am in the process of going multi-core and upgrading to Vista. So I needed a new video editing program that is compatible but offers the same functionality as MS8, which is why I chose Adobe Primer Elements 4.0. The problem is, the extracted MPEG-2 files (from VR) have lost their 16:9 flag, which isn't a problem with MS8 as it simply re-inserts the flags during rendering. So I get near perfect image quality.

Now, with APE 4, the edited videos are vertically stretched with two black bars on the sides. So my question is, is there any way to correct this problem in APE4 or are there any DVD-VR extractors that can maintain 16:9 flags?

Thanks for reading

2. kaidiez

kaidiez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    cant whatever your playing them in display at 16:9 instead of having to re-encode them? also u may want to look at virtualdub, you could prob do it in there by adding a filter and using the source audio and video (I think thats the option I havent used it in a while and dont have it on my work computer), is a freeware program so wont cost you much time or money to have a look

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,261
  4. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Thanks, that's exactly what I've been looking for :thumbsup:

PS: Is it compatible with Vista?

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,261
    Not sure. I'm on XP. What I will say, though (if it helps) is that (IIRC) the download doesn't come as an installer, just as an executable. So you park it somewhere convenient and either double-click it or make your own shortcut. That being the case, it isn't going to be a big job to uninstall it if it doesn't work. Worth a punt.

PS: I see you asked this question here, too:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694987

So, closing duplicate thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.