• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

A Waxing Moon

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
There are a couple of days to go before a full moon (this shot is about 90% full), but tonight was just too good an opportunity to miss.

Taken with a D300 Sigma120-300 2.8 with a 2xTC, tripod mounted. Manual settings, ISO400 f10 1/320sec and cropped & tweaked in Photoshop Elements.

Click on the pic for a larger version.

scotty94

Wow John! can't get enough of moon shots here! really like the detail on this especially the craters and ruggedness of the left side. :smashin:

peskywinnets

Just a thought...with such recognisable detail, wouldn't it be good if we could pinpoint the approximate area where the moon landings took place...it'd bring it much closer to home then.

R

ryanyboy

Just a thought...with such recognisable detail, wouldn't it be good if we could pinpoint the approximate area where the moon landings took place...it'd bring it much closer to home then.

You'll be looking for some hidden away movie studio somewhere in America then (according to some conspiracy theorists). :devil:

Great shot John. looking forward to seeing the full moon.

Hooooowwwwllllll.................

D

dave5182

Great pic

I am new to photography and wondered would it possible for me to take a similar shot with the kit I have listed in my signature? Is it better just using a certain mode or am I best messing about with shutter speed and apeture?

Fozzybear

the 55-200 will be rather limiting Dave, especially with a 6 megapixel camera as the moon will be pretty small in the viewfinder. With my 6 megapixel D50 and a 300mm lens (Nikon f/4 prime) I'd get a moon image like this:

so a 200mm would be somewhat smaller. Uncropped this is what you're looking at with a 300mm:

As to settings, I use RAW, shoot in manual exposure mode and adjust exposure by taking a shot, checking the preview and histogram and adjusting accordingly, although you can use spot metering and exposure compensation if you have it. I have my camera on a tripod and use a remote release to fire the shutter, preferably with mirror lock-up or exposure delay to minimise shake from the mirror flipping up.

D

dave5182

Thanks for the info fozzy, I will probably have a mess about when the full moon arrives and see what happens even if it will look a good distance away

Once I have had the camera for a while and get into photography will get a bigger lens

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom