A want a new lens for my 400d

texasboy

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my 400d since the summer and have been thoroughly enjoying it.

I've been using the standard 18-55 kit lens and I promised myself I wasn't going to jump in to any lens purchasing until I was comfortable with the camera (my first DSLR), and I was confident that I was buying the right lens for my needs.

Well, the time has come:)

I am really tempted by the 24-105 F4 L lens which most people seem to love. I feel it will suit my needs and will be ok as and when I upgrade the body to something bigger.

For the sort of money that this lens will cost is there anything else you guys would suggest I look at?

Based on the type of photo's I like to take I think will enough range for me, but also the quality?

Also what sort of filter would I need on a lens such as this. I want one purely to protect the lens from scratches etc, but I don't want to compromise the lens in any way.

Thanks in advance :smashin:

Who knows if its the right range for you? Put your kit lens onto 24mm and see how wide (or not) it is, 105 is plenty long enough for a walk about.

Its f4 which is OK but not great, the bokeh isnt to my tastes on it and IMO 24mm is too narrow for the wide end for a single lens. Coupled with a 10-20 or 10-22 its ok ( bar lens changes) - I prefer the 24-70f2.8 but no IS and its a BIG heavy beast.

A more crop friendly lens is the 17-55f2.8IS which is excelent, is fast and has IS, same range as the kit lens. Or the Tamron 17-50f2.8 which is a lot cheaper but excelent - no IS.

Other options are the sigma 17-70 - not constant apature (f2.8-4.5) but good quality, and IMO the poor value for money 17-85IS.

As for filters I dont bother but if you want buy a UV/skylite filter for it to protect.

I cant type too at midnight and with a few glasses of rum on board:blush:
The 24-105L ( Ive used it on loan a few times) is lovely.
My only concern is your loss of Wide angle as 24 mm on it is really a 38mm FOV on a 1.6X sensor like the 400Ds

The quality is typical Canon L quality.. The Canon 17-55 f 2.8 IS USM will nt give you that much zoom, doest not have the "L" on it but is a superb lens but the 24-105 does have that much more range and can be used on a FF but unless the 5D is in your sights that shouldn't matter
There is an 18- 200 Sigma OS lens which costs less and isnt a bad lens by any stretch although by no mean comparable
I would suggest you take your 400D to a Jessop which stock it and take a few photos in store and maybe just out of the door, then go back home and have a look to see what you think:)

Thanks for the quick reply Rob,

My wording wasn't ideal - The range on the 24-105 will be fine for what I want it for.

After all I will still have the kit lens and my long term plan would be to replace that with something very similar (in terms of range) but of higher quality.

Thanks

Well if 24mm is OK for the widre end the only drawbacks for the 24-105 is f4 (tho it has IS) so isnt going to have the shallowest of DoF's and IMO the Bokeh is a bit sucky.

Rob,

Would you care to elaborate on why you think the Bokeh is a 'bit sucky'?

Cheers

Anyone else have an opinion on this lens?
I know plenty of people have them (or have at least used them).

I find on any busy background thats OOF/out of DoF it can produce harsh distracting background bokeh instead of the creamy stuff say the 24-70 produces.

Its not all the time but it is an issue, one of the few with that lens.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom