1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Vinyl Solution?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by buns, Oct 5, 2002.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My parents have a nice collection built up over their earlier years, but now have no way to play them. The amp has no phono so an external phono stage i need, but i dont know very many, then i obviously need a player. So i thought i would ask here before going to my dealer!

With £400 to spend.....i was thinking a planar 2, but dont know arm or cartridge specifics that i might want and then a phono stage recommendaton would be great!

thanks for any help!

ad

2. Sozzled

Sozzled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello buns,

Don`t think you can go wrong with a rega planar 2, which comes with a rega rb250 arm, you just have to add a cartridge like the rega bias. This costs apx £40-45.

I bought my nephew one of these for his 21 birthday as an introduction to hifi and was very impressed with it.

As for a phono amp you could try the Graham Slee Gram Amp1(apx £70) or the Project phono box(apx £40). Any of these combinations would bring you in well under budget.

Or perhaps buy the rega with bias cartridge and put the rest of your budget towards a new amp?

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to say i was expecting a phono stage to be upwards of £100! Is that OTT for this level of TT?

The amp has to stay, it is more of a style amp matching the cdplayer rather than a particularly good sounding one, that said, it isnt bad.

Your nephew did very well! I was 21 2 weeks ago and got £20 from my aunts and uncles! :mad:

thanks!

ad

4. Sozzled

Sozzled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the amp has to stay then you could spend more on the phono amp and go for a rega fono, apx £150.

To decide if this is worth it suggest you take the amp to a dealer and dem it with the rega and the various phono amps.

By the way got to keep my nephew sweet, he is a photography assisstant at a top, if not the top London studio, and he has access to some VERY interesting shoots.

Could name drop........ahhh Kylie.......ahhh Holly ........but I won`t :D

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jammy jammy jammy jammy.........did i mention jammy bugger! :p :D

Fortunately I have a month yet to sort all this out and can borrow a few things and see how it works out. I just figure that, with £400 to spend, I might as wel get the best i can rather than trying to save a bit and having to spend in the future.

thanks

ad

6. Sozzled

Sozzled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the way I`ve always done it. Bought the best equipment I could, and its paid off, not only in terms of the enjoyment its given me, but also the fact that good stuff lasts a long time.

I know people who have had their rega turntables for well over 10 years and only had to change the cartridge to keep it sounding great.

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    how frequently does a cartridge need changed?

in case you dont realise, i have never owned a player so have little idea! :D

ad

8. Sozzled

Sozzled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi buns,

Don`t panic. You only change your cartridge when you choose to, i.e. when you want to upgrade or change the sound of your system. A cartridge change is often a relatively cheap but often overlooked way of doing this.

You will however have to change the stylus from time to time. Assuming you don`t damage it, a rule of thumb is that if you played records for 2 hours a day for 2 years, you should have it checked by a (hopefully) friendly and trustworthy dealer. Depending on the wear, he/she will be able to give you advice on when you might need to replace it.

Hope this helps.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Soz...... it will likely only get 3 or 4 hours use in a week so it should last for many years by that logic!

When i've been to my dealer, i'll come back and see if you agree with what he says!

ad

10. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hey Buns, the Regas are great deck but if you wish something a little more funky/different you may wish to check out these from Project, Im a great fan of Project TTs :

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=RPM4 £315 Inc Cart

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=RPM6 £475 Plus Cart

I would buy these from a dealer if your not happy about setting it up yourself, but Ive bought a Project Debut for a friend and it was easy to set up.

£400 is of course in 2nd hand LP12 territory as well, have you considered that ?

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont want to go 2nd hand, i had considered it, but for a birthday present, it doesnt really seem appropriate. I'll check out the project's too.

thanks

ad

12. Sozzled

Sozzled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi buns,

be happy to comment on dealers advice, but remember its what YOU hear when you dem equipment that matters.

I have read good things about project turntables but never heard one myself. Have to say CJROSS has given some good advice in other threads, so I would certainly audition the project range if you can. ;)

By the way my nephews got a shoot with a Miss Imbruglia coming up. Thought you`d like to know.

Yours covered in red sticky stuff,

Soz

13. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Sozz, thank you for the kind words good sir, coming from you that is a nice compliment dude. I just give Project TTs a nod for a couple of reasons over Regas, firstly Regas are quite rightly known by every man and his dog, so some competition never goes wrong, secondly the arms that Project place on their lower end £300-500 models are in fact used in all the TTs in the range up to the £1000 mark, buying a RPM9 arm on its owns costs £250. The motor assy in the RPM 4 cost £50, so you are in effect getting a Ort 510 cart for £25, this cart has not set the world alight to be fair, but after a while you can bang on a nice £100 MC cart onto that arm and you have one outragously good TT for less than £500, add the new Project SE Phono box @ £100 at start stage and your off. I know a guy whos first TT was the Perspective TT with Phono SE and he is mightily impressed. The other bouns is that you have the arm for transplanting at a future date if you so wish. Rega of course are a little different in that you have to pay a premium as you go up the range for the arm upgrades.

BTW good shout about the Graham Slee stuff Ive heard glowing testimonials from owners.

Another thought that strikes me is the anyone in the £300-500 CDP buying arena would be blown away with adding a TT for the same price IMHO, Not saying that vinyl is better both formats are good, but I feel at that end of the market TTs make so much more sense where as CD really sparks into life above £1000. Im sure Buns will find this once he gets his £400 TT on groove.

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    unfortunately it is not for me, so i wont be finding out! I couldnt afford to replace my collection with vinyl s im just happy with what i have! But it seemed a nice idea for a 50th b'day pressie!

ad

15. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,844
    I just got a Technics 1210 turntable for music. They make excellent decks for music as well and not just DJ stuff.

I am using a Audio Technica 95 cartridge. I have also tried Ortofon 520 which was good. The shure cartridges are also good on them.

The project phono stage is good although it could be better (but it is only £40).

The mark 2 deck is £400 plus £22 for the AT cartidge and £40 for the phono stage.

16. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Get a good new Rega P2, much better build quality than the Projects, sold both at work. The Rega has been going for 30 years now, guess why...

I would get the Project phono stage though, it is the best for the price.

If you were looking at the P3 however the £100 Project phono would be better.

If you were looking at a 2nd hand LP12 for the same money chances are it would need a new cartridge minimum, and at least a good service, probably a new arm because often the bearings are squared, on old models, and pretty much useless.

17. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Coming to this thread rather late... I'd just like to put in a good word for Graham Slee Projects. I own one of Mr Slee's "Solo" headphone amps, and it's a lovely piece of kit. He has a rather unconventional approach to HiFi but it usually seems to pay off.

18. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    not too late! i havent bought yet since i havent gotten to buying anything yet.

I was going to visit my dealer today, but a presentation has scuppered my plans! I will, as i said, report once i have checked something out!

ad

19. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    how does a rega P3, qed phono stage and cartridge and bits sound? I dont know what cartridge or arm specifically. All that for about £400. sound ok?

ad

ps. I havent listened yet and am a total novice to vinyl demo's!

20. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sounds like a good buy to me. Make sure it is properly setup for you when you buy it, cart, arm etc. Where are you buying it from?

The standard P3 arm is pretty good, RB250 I think, you'll want to look at a cart in the range of £60+ to get best value from it, there are some good value Audio Tech's about.

Not heard the QED stage, my personnal faves are the Project's (don't like their decks at all though). They do 2 at £40 and £100, not heard better at £100, not much between the £40 job and the NAD box at the same price.

21. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im looking to buy from lyric hifi in belfast.

I'll have to try and get some specifics on arms and cart and all the options on stages.

i'll report backl!

thanks

ad

22. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Lyric Hifi are good guys, I think my old boss was mates with one of them through some ICE stuff.

The standard arm on the P3 is fine, not really worth upgrading. If you want a better arm, then a total 'better' deck would more beneficial.

23. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,

The system proposed by Lyric is very good. The Rega P3 is a good deck with a truly extraordinary arm, the RB-300, which should frankly sell for over £500 on it's own. It's a really magnificent piece of engineering (though not without weaknesses which are addressed by the OL Silver Taper and Rega's own RB-1000).

I would definitely take a look at the Project RPM 4. Another insanely good over achiever. You really cannot go wrong with either of these decks.

On the phono stage, the QED Discsaver is OK, but not what I'd be going for. The Graham Slee designs are fabulous for the money, again a little unconventional, but great bang for the buck.

My personal favourite is the Project Phono Box SE. OK, this will knock you a little over budget, but what a piece of hardware for the money.

Nothing wrong with the 510 cart. supplied to get you going, but to really push the boat out you could do a lot worse than look at a Goldring 1022 or an Ortofon MC 15 Super II.

Finally, if you're not familiar with T/T set up it really would be worth getting Lyric or A N Other dealer to set this up for you. It's not difficult, but you ideally need a Shure Stylus force gauge and somthing like the Townshend Alignment gauge or MOFI Geodisc to get the cartridge alignment spot on. Any dealer selling a T/T will probably have these and will be able to dial the deck in spot on very quickly.

I hope this helps. If I can be of any further assistance then please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards and best wishes,

Dave

24. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here is the latest:

rega planar 2 with rb250 £230
    rega superbias £55
    creek obh-8 mm phono £99

what does that sound like? Given it will be bought by someone who buys plenty from them, would it be unreasonable to try and get that lot but the P3 all for £400?

ad

25. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi,

The package sounds good, and with a P3 + Rega Superbias for £400 that's a great package, but I would still be looking at the Project SE phono stage for similar money if they sell it. It's not that the Creek is poor, it's just that the Project is so incredibly good for the money. Of course another really off the wall suggestion for a phono stage is the Musical Fidelity X-LP. There is a review here :-

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/perl/593_printreview.htm

Regards and best wishes,

Dave

26. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have done my best to push towards other stages, the project being one, but i havent had much response, which I assume means that they dont do project.

I'll give them one final visit before i send in the heavies to work out a price!

ad

27. TOM ALLEN

TOM ALLEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Still using my Rega Planar 3, 22 years old:D

28. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to "retire" my old CD/Tape/Amp/Phono component hi-fi in favour of my AV setup as I don't use tape at all and the DVD player does fine CD playback, but I want to keep my turntable in the lounge. However, its situated at the opposite end (19 feet away from the AV amp) and I want to keep it there.

I know I need a phono stage to connect my Dual turntable to my AV amp, but will the sound suffer significantly if I trail the output of the phono stage (using maybe speaker cable rather than phono leads) about 30 feet round the skirting board? The alternative is to use a Giga Video/Audio sender pairing, but the quality is pretty poor (lots of hiss and unstable if people are moving around the room).

Thanks for any advice!

Phil

29. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you use a decent set of leads from the phono stage to the AV amp then you shouldn't have any problems with sound quailty. You must put the phono stage by the deck though ratrher than next to the AV amp otherwise you will lose too much signal, because of the turntables low output.

30. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0