A View to a Kill - Bond 50 Box Set Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Nov 20, 2012.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +445
      “But can we dance into the fire?”

Often regarded as one of the lowest points in the Bond franchise, Roger Moore’s swansong in the role – A View to a Kill – certainly did not win any awards for distinction, with a pushing-sixty Moore trying valiantly to keep up the British end in a franchise that he had actually wanted to leave for almost a decade now.

Funnily enough, however, in taking a look back over the franchise I found A View to a Kill to be a surprisingly fun watch. Perhaps partly because it’s one of those Bonds you are least likely to pick up and put on out of choice – and so it feels less familiar – or perhaps because, against all odds, it does actually provide quite a refreshingly different chapter in the Bond cycle. Either way, there’s a great deal that often goes overlooked in this 1985 entry.

After Bond recovers a...

Read the full review...

2. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,280
      Another great review and this is exactly how I feel about the film. It may not be the classiest or most gritty of Bond films, but I always thought it's great fun.

I was recently laughed out of the forums here for sticking up for it, so it's nice to read such an articulate defence of the film's merits. :smashin:

3. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +579
      One of my faves, perhaps because it came out when I was a young lad and I watched it at the cinema, it has many classic Moore Bond moments.

Great action at the start with brilliant Eiffel Tower/Paris chase in half a car :laugh:, scary Bond girl, and Max Zorin is one of the best Bond Villians ever, a total nut case.

Plus you can not beat a pre-credit Ski chase that ends with a Ice-Berg-Like-Submarine with Union Jack hatch, leather interior, Bond girl and champagne waiting - as if! Ha ha

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    4. Mr Quint

Mr Quint

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,700
      One of my faves indeed and IMHO Christopher Walken falls into that very very small group of Bond bad guys that actually feels dangerous!

5. MuzMc

MuzMc

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +325
      Fantastic review!

6. jabowen

jabowen

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      COuldn't agree more with this review.

It was actually the biggest surprise of the box set for me.

Was dreading watching it - I'd convinced myself it was my least favourite Bond - but no doubt helped by the fact that I haven't watched for best part of 2 decades I thoroughly enjoyed it.

7. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,983
      Wow, glad I wasn't the only one! :thumbsup:

I definitely think it helps to have that jaded view of the film, as it turns out to be pretty damn enjoyable. I think it's one of the Bonds I've least watched, and that no doubt helps no end!

Cheers, Cas

8. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,983
      Definitely. Walken does do psychotic very well. I wonder whether he was the first full-tilt psycho in the Bond films. Sure there were some crazy megalomaniacs who wanted to take over the world 'master race'-style, but few revelled in the violence as much as him, positively laughing as at his own depraved actions.

Loved the bit where he tells the guy in City Hall his plan:

"but that would mean that I'd have to be..."
      "yes, dead" *BANG*

9. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,983
      It was probably the first Bond film that my parents could have let me see at the cinema and I remember being really disappointed that everybody else in my family got to go but they thought I was still too young. After having seen it, I can sort of see why.

At the time, it was more serious and certainly more violent than you'd normally expect from a Bond film.

10. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,983
      Well mate, it certainly looks like you're not alone here! :smashin:

I'm not surprised people laughed at you when you stuck up for it - I found the same at a recent poker evening when I tried to defend it for not being as bad as everybody remembered. I think there is a definite negative stigma surrounding it, which can only be overcome by rewatching it.

Glad you enjoyed the review and glad I could be of assistance! :thumbsup:

Cheers for your comments,
      Cas

11. Mr Quint

Mr Quint

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,700
      Absolutely, and that bit of a laugh before he falls to his death! :eek:

12. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,983
      Indeed. Thinking about it, there haven't been that many memorable Bond villain deaths. I'm not saying villains haven't been blown up, or sucked into turbines - or into space - but only a few of the actors have pulled off a memorable dying look like Walken who, as you say, just laughs a little. Others would freak out, or cry out, but he just laughs at the irony of his fate.

I quite like Berkoff's Von Ryan's Express-style death-on-the-tracks in Octopussy as well; it's not Walken, but it's better than a lot of the other villain-gets-sucked-out-of-a-hole-in-a-place over-the-top deaths (which I loved, of course, but which didn't require particularly clever 'death acting' from the actors, lol)

SPOILERS

Actually this reminds me of the end of Skyfall. Although Bardem isn't quite the same sort of psychotic, he does do a great 'frustrated' look every time Bond survives one of their encounters during the finale. Whether it's when Bond disappears under the ice, or when he gets a knife in his back, Bardem nails that 'Not again! I am SO fed up with you' look. It also made a memorable death scene, going out with exactly that fed up look.
      Cas

13. Mr Quint

Mr Quint

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,700
      Cas, I agree with you.

Also lets not forget Julian Glover in FYEO. Should we start a separate thread? lol.

14. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +579
      Mr Quint - we should have a thread, best and worst!

One of the worse villains is Drax in Moonraker, basically your uncle in a 1970s suit, flying space shuttles for a laugh, not scary, not evil, just weird.

Walkden is perhaps the best crazed villian, trying to think of others.

15. Nobbler

Nobbler
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,845
      Blimey - you've got me thinking now! I was going to use this, Octopussy and Moonraker as coasters but it looks some people are actually taking them seriously!:eek:
      Might have to give them a watch before they covered in beer!

I saw Sir Roger in a film on Sky the other day called the Christmas princess or something...well my daughter was watching it and I was in the room...:blush:
      Still looking well for about 125...:D

16. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,983
      Mate, you've defo got to give them another shot - coasters they are not!

As you can tell, I thoroughly enjoyed all of Moore's films (well, I had some problems with the middle section of Golden Gun) and not just in a goofy, campy way. There's plenty of pure Bond in there, so long as you're not too critical.

Lol, he does look old now, but it was nice to see him delivering the first Bond 50 set in the Aston Martin - it's not the kind of thing Connery would do these days as he feels it's too demeaning, a great shame considering this was one of his biggest roles!

Anyways, check em out, and report back if you find a rewatch did them any favours (or if they're now covered in beer!)

Cheers, Cas

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,562
      Well Cas an other good review and Im on track with you this time.

I watched this at weekend as I want to get watch the Timothy Dalton Bond films before my mate lends me the Game of Thrones

The opening reminds me somewhat of Raise The Titanic. Anyway it was a great opening action skiing scene just makes me wonder if snowboarding had come out round that time although I doubt that the ski-mobile had clips that fit ski boots LOL. Unfortunately in someone wise wisdom the tension is destroyed by adding surfing music wrote by Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys but in this case sung by Gidia Park rather than the Beach Boys and I never spotted the difference till looking at the end credits.

And the slide steps exit reminded me of a few other Bond films.

Although I prefer this to Octopussy to me it did seem a slower pace but thankfully the silliness is more or less possible with reference to the fire engine scene and car crash(what the heck was that that crushed the car surely they don't have counterbalances where they can kill anybody)!
      It was nice to see no gadgets that were given to Bond at the start that got him out of a situation that only that gadget could do albeit who would have though he needed that check book one but then he may have had a few standard ones about him. And Q was relegated to playing with K9

Apart from taking Bond to the races and getting him invites to Zoris estate I wonder why Patrick Macnee was involved rather than an agent. Anyway it was nice to see Steed in a Bond film.

Christopher Walken was a good choice of psychopathic villain which he played just more or less right for me.

Tanya Roberts character was weak and one of the most forgettable main female leads in a Bond film Grace Jones outshone her, all he character seem to do was to be rescued by Bond usually being pulled out of something. Of the few episodes of Charlie s Angels I liked her and even during the first episode of her in it when she was not an Angel I was hoping she join them but in this rather than playing anything like Barbara Bach, Lois Chiles or even Maud Adams she just seem to play the damsel in distress and only there for Bond to rescue and love.
      As you say Cas Bond was really looking old and showed in some scenes and looked more like Stacy's dad than lover. When Sir Roger first took the role in Live and Let Die I recall they said apart from getting into shape they cut his hair shorter (comepare it with his hair from when ie was in The Persuaders) they said this was to make him look younger yet notice how long its got since and this is the time they needed to make him look younger. Not unless Roger did not want it cut short and had the pull not to have it so.

If that was a set where they shot the flooding scene it looked very impressive.

Looking at the credits I see I missed Dolph Lundgren but was that man in the boat on the lake Gordon Rawlings an actor who often played a comedy part.

The colour pallet was very good in this film take the races with all the greys and blacks and Mayday standing out in her red outfit. Also the château scene were very good and seemed very true to life.
      Which more or less is in agreement with Cas

I think Ill give this a bit more marks than Octopussy but funny enough even though I did not mark Moonraker and said it was the worst of the Roger Moore Bond films this time round of viewing I have to place it above this and Octopussy. And although very enjoyable all are starting to flag and needed a shot in the arm which came with our next Bond, Timothy Dalton.

7.5/10

Addendum to Roger Moore who I think a real nice guy and although some of the other Bonds turned up for most of the funerals of departing members of the series I think Sir Roger turned up for most of all, albeit some may not have been in the series at the time.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
    18. Mr Quint

Mr Quint

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,700
      Dolph Lundgren is one of the KGB guys at the race track bud.

19. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,562
      Thanks I just played it and he hardly was in it.

Last edited: May 20, 2013