1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A victim of identity theft - what action should I take?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaelm, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was told by my bank yesterday that a fraudulent transaction had taken place on my debit card. It was used to try and purchase goods from a company named "Domestic Appliances Romania" and the transaction originated in Romania.

Now the fun part. The transaction took place on April 21st and my bank put an immediate suspension on my account, blocking ALL transactions. I noticed yesterday when I tried to use my debit card at an ATM and got an "unathorised usage" error. I was paid yesterday, and had a travel claim from work the day before, so I knew there were funds in my account. But my bank did not contact me to tell me they had done this and I only found out because I rang them. They also told me they could not unblock my account until I spoke to the Fraud dept. When I rang Fraud, they were closed. They only operate 9 - 5.30. It was my daughter's birthday yesterday and we didn't even have the money to buy her a cake.

Fraud rang me this morning and apologised for not contacting me before now but they told me I cannot use my debit card at all and the account will not be unlocked until I get a new card in about a week's time.

While I am grateful that they stopped me from getting my account emptied, I think that my bank is guilty of gross maladministration of my account, leaving me with no money to feed my family, pay bills, put fuel in my car etc.

Is there any action I can take against them for this?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I can sympathise with you....a couple of yrs ago some villain managed to clone one of my cards and tried to buy some stuff from a place in Croydon....luckily my bank realised it didnt fit my buying profile and cancelled the sale,and the card.

They did,however,contact me that day,and had tried several times until late evening to get me,and I was fortunate enough to be able to use other cards.

I would have thought that the bank should be able to at the very least recompense you for the inconvenience,but would be surprised if they did.

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Not sure if it would help - but if you can get to your local branch tomorrow - take your passport etc. in and explain the situation to them - they should allow you to withdraw some funds.

If not, I'd ask to speak to the manager there and then - and threaten court action due to the fact that how on earth are you supposed to buy food, petrol etc. if you can't access your money, even though you can prove your identity.

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Personally I would say you are being a bit harsh

5. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I Agree.

Someone has saved him from being scammed and all he wants to do is complain about it :rolleyes:

Yes someone has made a mistake by not making him aware of it but what a perfect world it would be if no-one ever made a mistake :rolleyes:

Adrenochrome.

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,981
    There again why should he be punished by his bank for something he has no control over? Agree with Sadmuppet, go to your branch with ID and withdraw enough to tide you over.

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I worked for a bank for 9 years and they do seem to have gone a little over the top - stopping the card itself would have been enough, there seems to be no reason to block the entire account. The same happened to me with an Egg card and all they did was stop the card but not the account.

John

8. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, it happened with my egg card a few years ago when all customers' card details were published on a certain dvd site for all the world to see. I was just off to America a few days later and was depending on my card. Ended up having to borrow a grand off my parents until my wages went into my bank. I gave them my cashcard so that they could withdraw the money...

Hold on, it's all starting to make sense now.

9. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,617
    Parents . Pah , always knew they couldn't be trusted .Who'd have em ! :D
    John

10. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    If someone had my debit card details I would want the entire account closed or suspended. If someone has youe debit card details whos to say they havent got details on the whole account??

I would ask them to close the account and get a fresh one opened. That may sound a bit over the top but I have seen what can happen to acounts when they have been used in this manner.

As for the bank going over the top- Iwouyld rather they took this action on my account than nothing at all.

11. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    hmm.. technically it isnt identity theft but just straight forward third party use of your account - can anyone tell that she who must be obeyed works in Fraud? Identity theft would have been them taking out another card/account in your name rather than using your existing account.

It (3rd part useage) has happened to me once and I got an early morning phone call from the card issuer asking if I had spent $500 in a shop whos name included XXX in Chicago at 5am. As soon as I said I hadnt they suspended the card and said I would have to complete a form to confirm it wasnt me but it wouldnt be an issue.

At the end of the day you have to decide - do you want a third party to be able to empty your account without your consent but be able to withdraw some money (assuming they have left you any) or the inconvenience of your account being suspended for a short time?

12. andypandyflower

andypandyflower

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We contacted fraud dept of bank and they sent forms and we got money back then they said they would be in touch as police and paypal fraud depts involved too but that was 4 months ago and we have not been contacted by anyone!! It seems because there is so much fraud going on they just say they will be in touch and hope that you don't pester them!!!

Get a free experian check done as a precaution too.

Good luck:thumbsup:

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I doubt whether he needs any good luck now as you've dredged this thread up from three years ago

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.