• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

A Very British Scandal - The Duke & Duchess of Argyll (BBC One) tbc

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
A Very English Scandal returns to TV with tale of 'dirty duchess'

BBC turns its attention to a second very English scandal: the Duchess of Argyll

A Very English Scandal gets a sequel focusing on first public 'slut-shaming' case

The Golden-Globe winning A Very English Scandal is to be turned into an anthology series, in the vein of US shows such as the American Crime Story strand.

The first follow-up to the 2018 BBC drama starring Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw is set to focus on the 1963 sex scandal involving Margaret Campbell, Duchess of Argyll.

Speaking exclusively to RadioTimes.com, executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins said: “The Duchess of Argyll was the first woman to be publicly slut shamed.

encaser

Distinguished Member
I think feminists may disagree at the first!

brian s

Distinguished Member
Basically it has nothing to do with the first one then. I still want a blu of the original series.

Bri

Last edited:

encaser

Distinguished Member
^ So it's a let's touch the greatness of AVES and hope that draws in viewers. Tsk.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Claire Foy and Paul Bettany are set to star in BBC One and Amazon Studios’ A Very British Scandal, a limited series based on the divorce of the Duke and Duchess of Argyll, The three episode limited series based on their divorce that would become one of the most “notorious, extraordinary and brutal legal cases of the 20th Century.”

A three-episode limited series, A Very British Scandal comes from the team behind Amazon and Blueprint Picture’s A Very English Scandal, starring Hugh Grant in a dramatisation of the Jeremy Thorpe affair. A Very British Scandal is being touted as the second season of the anthology series. Sarah Phelps takes the reins from original creator Russell T. Davies to write A Very British Scandal, which focuses on glamorous divorcee Margaret, Duchess of Argyll, as she weathers accusations of “forgery, theft, violence, drug-taking” and all manner of media misogyny.

Synopsis for A Very British Scandal:

Famed for her charisma, beauty and style, Margaret, Duchess of Argyll, dominated the front pages as a divorcee featuring accusations of forgery, theft, violence, drug-taking, secret recording, bribery, and an explicit polaroid picture all played out in the white-hot glare of the 1960s media. A Very British Scandal turns this scandal inside out in order to explore the social and political climate of post-war Britain, looking at attitudes toward women, and asking whether institutional misogyny was widespread at the time. As her contemporaries, the press, and the judiciary sought to vilify her, Margaret kept her head held high with bravery and resilience, refusing to go quietly as she was betrayed by her friends and publicly shamed by a society that revelled in her fall from grace.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
ok now i know where i am :)

castings

Duchess of Argyll (Claire Foy) and Duke (Paul Bettany)

EwNFFhyXEAIJUDl.jpg

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Yes, a bit formulaic, and it’s pity things stop at the divorce, but it’s not too bad a watch overall.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Unlikeable spoilt entitled characters throughout really makes this a tough watch.
Agree with this - all credit to Clare Foy for delivering a good performance but it was very difficult to empathise with either of the lead characters. Layer on top of that the evident misogyny, deference to class (at least as far as men go), corruption in public institutions and horrific British tabloid press - all of which contribute to the (I am guessing true to life) unsatisfactory ending - makes this a difficult watch IMHO.

krish

Distinguished Member
I like how they didn't let up on Margaret's unlikeability (still spoilt, entitled and rude to staff in the final episode), no Julian Fellowes' Downton bullsh*t here. The scene between her and her bff (Julia Davis) was a distillation of the whole story.

brian s

Distinguished Member
I finally got round to watching the first episode last night. I'm not sure I can be bothered with anymore. A Very English Scandal was hugely entertaining but this just dragged on.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom