A/V system (sorry long post)

Stone Free

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to put together a sound system for A/V use and spend around £1000 on a 5.1 system. (£1000 is a bit of a stab in the dark, I dont mind slightly upping the value if it will make appreciable differences in sound).

I want to get a decent sub so do not want to get any speaker packages that contain subs, I have also decided on standmounts rather than floorstanders.

I want to get a good balance of performance between the components so what should be the split (RRP) over Fronts/and/or Centre, Rears, Sub and amp?

In one of the other posts on this forum the average ratio of RRP between the sub and the other speakers is 30%, but I would like to know the percentage split (of RRP) of all the components. If you don't know of an ideal percentage split, please just give the split you have between your components.

Should the speaker wire/interconnects be 10% of the system as with Hi-Fi?

Looking at the various sites and the packages they offer I have no idea about which speakers to go for, as there seems to be many different mixes of their speaker types.

Such as with the Monitor audio "B2 AV1" package which uses B2's at the front and B1's at the rear or the "B4 AV " package which uses BFX's at the rear. The second uses a "surround" speak at the rear where the previous doesnt. Which is best?

Originally posted by Stone Free
In one of the other posts on this forum the average ratio of RRP between the sub and the other speakers is 30%,

I don't think that was a realistic thread as I would guess that the vast majority of people have bought speaker packages that include the subwoofer so were excluded.

Looking at the various sites and the packages they offer I have no idea about which speakers to go for, as there seems to be many different mixes of their speaker types.

Much depends on what kind of room you have and where you sit within it. My settee is flush against the rear wall in a small bay so bipole speakers on the side walls are ideal for me but other people in different circumstances would prefer something different.

I assume that your £1,000 budget covers the speakers, subwoofer, amplifier, speaker stands and cable but does it also include the DVD player ?

Originally posted by Ian J
I don't think that was a realistic thread as I would guess that the vast majority of people have bought speaker packages that include the subwoofer so were excluded.

Much depends on what kind of room you have and where you sit within it. My settee is flush against the rear wall in a small bay so bipole speakers on the side walls are ideal for me but other people in different circumstances would prefer something different.

My room is oblong and is 6.08m by 4.38m. At the moment the settee is almost flush against the rear wall, but can be moved and the room has a sloping roof on the right hand side of the room.

I have no idea how peope add pictures as part of their post so I have attached the file as a .bmp

I assume that your £1,000 budget covers the speakers, subwoofer, amplifier, speaker stands and cable but does it also include the DVD player ? [/B]

Yes thats right, I already have a DVD player

Attachments

• living room.png
    living room.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 417
You could always look at the speaker packages with subwoofers included and then sell the sub to pput towards the sub you want instead of limiting yourself.
Is this used mainly for home cinema or music?? What amps are you looking at buying?? How much??
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1311
could be what you want.

Its going to be used for both, I dont have enough money to have two separate systems, so I am going to use an A/V system for both.

I havent thought much of which amp to get but possibly a Denon, Marantz reciever, I am looking at Mission, Monitor Audio, B&W and M&K for speakers.

I want to spend a total of £1000

You have a budget for £1,000 for speakers, subwoofer and amp. You don't want a speaker package as you want to buy a "decent" sub. If you could let us know what sub you intend to buy we can deduct the cost of that from the £1,000 and give you some ideas for the rest

then i would guess:-
£300-£400 for the amp
£500 for the speakers and subwoofer
£100 for cables interconnects and stands. etc.

Would this be about right??

I have been looking at the Velodyne CHT-10, I think this will probably be big enough for my room size, and anyway my neighbour sometimes bangs on the wall if I play any music/tv after 10:30pm.

I think I might have to push the budget up, because the cheapest I have found the CHT-10 was around £350 which would only leave me £150 for the other 5 speakers if I am assuming £500 for them.

Look to getting the cables of here from Mark Grant it will prob save you loads. If you need some recomendations ask Ian J.
Reasonable stands for the front speakers your looking at about £50+ and we don't even have any speaker calbe yet!! :(
Have you looked at the bks xl200 sub everyone loves on here? about £275 delivered.
http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...ms.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=924935[/url]

Home Cinema: the cheap hobby

:rotfl: :clown: :rotfl:

Originally posted by Stone Free
I have been looking at the Velodyne CHT-10,

There's a second hand one for sale in the Classified forum here

Unfortunately I only have dial up at home and so I missed this. Thanks for the suggestion Ian.

Dfour, do you happen to know where in west london I might be able to audition the bks xl200 sub?

MJ Acoustics REF 100 £350
Mordaunt Short AVant 902 front £150
Mordaunt Short AVant 905c centre £110
Morduant Short Avant 302 rears £120
Yamaha RXV440 av amp/tuner £300

over budget by £30

that setup sounds fantastic, trust me...the MJ sub really blends well with the 902 and gives an outstanding soundstage.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom