A/V Receiver Upgrade Options

db579

Standard Member
I'm considering upgrading my Onkyo TX-SR608 and am debating the pros and cons of the various options. I'm happy with how it works and sounds but thinking about upgrading for 4K and inbuilt bluetooth/streaming functionality.

My speaker setup is 5.1 Bowers & Wilkins - 2 606, 1 HTM6 S2, 2 M1 Satellites, 1 ASW608. I'd like to keep the option open to move up to 7.2 at some point but unlikely to go beyond that in the near future. My input sources are mostly PS4/5 (surround) and music played from a NAS (stereo) (currently connected via HDMI but DLNA capable as well). Features I appreciate on the Onkyo are a front facing HDMI input and the 3.5mm line out but neither of those are really essential.

Ideally looking in the ~£500-750 range but could be flexible for a good reason.

The options I'm aware of are:

1. Denon AVR-X2700H - £580 (Seems to be the "market leader" for the price range I'm looking at and looks like it ticks all the boxes)
2. Denon AVR-X3700H - £999 (Big jump up in price but more power than the 2700 and maybe more future proof - worth it?)
3. Sony STR-DN1080 - £480 (Cheapest option and ticks most of the boxes but 3 years old now. Well reviewed at the time but maybe been surpassed now?)
4. Onkyo TX-NR696 - £? (Seems like the most direct, like-for-like upgrade of what I have but not sure about availability)
5. Marantz NR1711 - £680 (The other big name Denon competitor. Less power per channel than either of the Denon's but otherwise ticks all boxes and has a nice slim profile as well?)

Are there any other options I've missed that I should take a closer look at? If not any major pros/cons of my shortlist that should sway me?

Last edited:
I'm considering upgrading my Onkyo TX-SR608 and am debating the pros and cons of the various options. I'm happy with how it works and sounds but thinking about upgrading for 4K and inbuilt bluetooth/streaming functionality.

My speaker setup is 5.1 Bowers & Wilkins - 2 606, 1 HTM6 S2, 2 M1 Satellites, 1 ASW608. I'd like to keep the option open to move up to 7.2 at some point but unlikely to go beyond that in the future. My input sources are mostly PS4/5 (surround) and music played from a NAS (stereo) (currently connected via HDMI but DLNA capable as well). Features I appreciate on the Onkyo are a front facing HDMI input and the 3.5mm line out but neither of those are really essential.

Ideally looking in the ~£500-750 range but could be flexible for a good reason.

The options I'm aware of are:

1. Denon AVR-X2700H - £580 (Seems to be the "market leader" for the price range I'm looking at and looks like it ticks all the boxes)
2. Denon AVR-X3700H - £999 (Big jump up in price but more power than the 2700 and maybe more future proof - worth it?)
3. Sony STR-DN1080 - £480 (Cheapest option and ticks most of the boxes but 3 years old now. Well reviewed at the time but maybe been surpassed now?)
4. Onkyo TX-NR696 - £? (Seems like the most direct, like-for-like upgrade of what I have but not sure about availability)
5. Marantz NR1711 - £680 (The other big name Denon competitor. Less power per channel than either of the Denon's but otherwise ticks all boxes and has a nice slim profile as well?)

Are there any other options I've missed that I should take a closer look at? If not any major pros/cons of my shortlist that should sway me?
The X3700H is the choice if you have the budget - it drives my B&Ws well. Marantz is better with music, but as you say has less power. Sony is chronically outdated now.

db579

Standard Member
The X3700H is the choice if you have the budget - it drives my B&Ws well. Marantz is better with music, but as you say has less power. Sony is chronically outdated now.

I'm a bit on the fence as to whether the extra power is worth ~£400+ but otherwise it does seem to be the best of the bunch.

gibbsy

I would go for the Denon X3700. It will future proof you to some extend in that it has a full set of pre-outs making connection to external amplification very easy and allow you to expand beyond a 7.1. or 5.1.2. As well as extra headroom over the X2700 it also has the better version of Audyssey on board and this can make a difference in any room.

The slimline Marantz is not as powerful. The Sony is just too old and has problems instigating DTS:X with certain speaker arrangements, something unique to Sony that doesn't trouble any other manufacturer.

I'm a bit on the fence as to whether the extra power is worth ~£400+ but otherwise it does seem to be the best of the bunch.
Wot @gibbsy said. Plus the B&Ws like a bit of power.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom