A/V dropouts on my 10m Ruipro fibre hdmi

kryten22uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Couple years ago I bought two 10m Ruipro fibre hdmi cables at at total of £360. One connected my AVR to TV and the other connected the AVR to a projector. The TV pushes sound to AVR by ARC.

On setup I got AV dropouts occuring both when watching TV or when watching the PJ. Only lasted a second and then fine. But can be frequent sometimes infrequent. The TV only dropped the sound obviously as the video didn't travel via HDMI. But on the PJ, both sound and vision drops for a second. At the time I put it down to an issue with the AVR, and just accepted it after numerous attempts to reset and rewire.

I've now upgraded my AVR new a new Denon X3700H and was looking forward to dropout-free home cinema, but the dropouts are still there!! So presumably the issue is therefore with the Ruipros. Am I so unlucky as to have bought two faulty cables?

The darned things are built into the ceiling now, as they were meant to provide some form of longevity. I did test them before install, but sometimes you can last a while movie with no dropouts, so I just didn't pick up on it until too late.

Sooo gutted.

Hmm, good idea. Any recommendations? Not many results on Google. Amazon has one for £18 but looks cheap.

I was just going to suggest a voltage inserter but I see @Joe Fernand beat me to it, again 😉. Ruipro supplies voltage inserters with their new 4k and 8k cables so maybe you can reach out to them and see if they sell or have a suggestion as to who makes decent ones. Keep in mind that voltage inserters sometimes work and sometimes don't. There have been reported issues with pj's and active cables, probably related to inconsistent current output that messes with the chipsets in the connector ends.

Did you by any chance run your cabling in a conduit or chase? That's the only real guarantee for future proofing or longevity.

Thanks.
Yes I did start out running the cable through plumbing conduit, but I ended up with so many cables going to TV, it's impossible to successfully pull one back thru. I've got power, hdmi, ethernet, optic, FL/C/FR speaker cable, all in that conduit.

Last edited:
This may be a draft question but does a voltage inserter impact the ability of the transmission of a 4k signal? I mean presumably there isn't much to the inserter, it's just a metal-to-metal connection.

The Voltage Inserter wont stop you passing a 4K UHD signal - I have used the units supplied by RuiPro.

Joe

Cool, i bought the Ruipro on on Amazon for £15, so will see if that fixes the dropouts. Fingers crossed!!

Thanks.
Yes I did start out running the cable through plumbing conduit, but I ended up with so many cables going to TV, it's impossible to successfully pull one back thru. I've got power, hdmi, ethernet, optic, FL/C/FR speaker cable, all in that conduit.
Did you install a pull string as well? Hmm, technically the power cable (HV) should be separated from the LV cables (HDMI, ethernet, etc). As far as the voltage inserter goes, Ruipro says that there may be a slight loss of video fidelity but I never saw it in any of my testing. I removed the voltage inserters from my systems because there was no advantage/disadvantage of using them. I'm a minimalist when it comes to cable connections so the simpler I can make it, the better.

Did you install a pull string as well?
When it became apparent how much was getting stuffed into the conduit, the drawstring became irrelevant, so didnt go in.

When it became apparent how much was getting stuffed into the conduit, the drawstring became irrelevant, so didnt go in.
I see. That's unfortunate. Hopefully you won't need to upgrade to the newer Ruipro 4k/8k cables.

Well now I'm properly gutted. I bought the Ruipro power injector and it didn't make any difference!

Totally stumped.

Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. That's why Ruipro supplies one with their cables just in case. I tested them and saw no difference either way. Others reported that they worked.

You do have a difficult situation. Not only is your conduit (chase) packed with too many cables you are also running power in what I would guess is very close proximity to the fiber cable. That could cause interference issues. It's always best to keep your HV cabling as far away from your LV cabling as is possible or reasonable.

Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. That's why Ruipro supplies one with their cables just in case. I tested them and saw no difference either way. Others reported that they worked.

You do have a difficult situation. Not only is your conduit (chase) packed with too many cables you are also running power in what I would guess is very close proximity to the fiber cable. That could cause interference issues. It's always best to keep your HV cabling as far away from your LV cabling as is possible or reasonable.
I dont think power can cause interference to fibre cables can it? RF waves from power cant impact lightwaves in a fibre cable? I can understand some interference with normal copper HDMI or with speaker wire. Ultimately, pretty much everyone will have power cable near their AV cables at some point, whether that is the ring circuit in the wall or the flex power cord.

I've decided to buy a new HDMI as a test, and just have it temporarily loose laid over the floor between AVR and TV, and see if that fixes it. Is this one a good option?
Amazon product ASIN B006JS7PWI

I've seen those cables before and they appear to me to be questionable. If you read the product description they state "Ultra High Speed HDMI 2.0b" which is odd. First, Ultra High Speed is the official term for cables certified for the HDMI 2.1 options sets and second, they use the HDMI version number in their description that HDMI.org asked cable mfrs years ago to not do. The cables are either named as High Speed HDMI with etherent, Premium High Speed HDMI (certified for the HDMI 2.0 option sets) or Ultra High Speed HDMI (certified for the HDMI 2.1 option sets). However, if the cables work that's what ultimately matters.

The do have a thicker wire gauge (so they can meet the HDMI 2.0 options at long lengths) so flexibility (bend radius) will be reduced which may result in stress on the HDMI port depending on how you install the cable.

You may be correct about interference with HV wiring and optical cables. I'm old school so mixing power cables with HDMI cables was not recommended back then.

Well suck me sideways, as the dropouts continue even with a new HDMI cable. Only watching Escape to the Country, so not exactly testing the bandwith to its limit!

😭

Well suck me sideways, as the dropouts continue even with a new HDMI cable. Only watching Escape to the Country, so not exactly testing the bandwith to its limit!

😭
Is this with the cable laid out on the floor and not installed in the overcrowded conduit?

Is this with the cable laid out on the floor and not installed in the overcrowded conduit?
Yep. New Premium HDMI cable, just draped on floor direct between AVR and TV. Am now thinking it is the TV ARC problem, as the TV is an LG OLED and tinternet is awash with complaints of audio dropouts via ARC. Have hooked up the optical cable (that I had the foresight to ram in the conduit :D ) and see if that solves it. Might also have a bit of a whinge to Richer Sounds as they supplied both the TV and the AVR.

ARC/CEC is very problematic for a lot of people. The reason being is that ARC/CEC on older devices is on the same chipset so you either have both enabled or both disabled. CEC has all kinds of issues which can affect ARC because CEC is not standardized in the sense that the device mfrs are free to choose how they want to implement it. So, if there are incompatibilities with CEC, that can affect ARC. What you could do is purchase the Lindy CEC Less adapter, which prevents the CEC commands on the HDMI cable by having no connection to pin 13 in the HDMI cable. That allows you to still use ARC. If might be worth a try.

Yep will try that. Been using the optic cable all evening and not a single dropout. So looking likely it is the CEC/arc thing.

Let us know. If the Lindy doesn't work, then you might have to disable ARC/CEC on all of your HDMI connected devices, use an optical cable (Toslink) from the tv to the avr for the built-in apps (5.1 only) and use a programmable remote like the Harmony for single remote control in lieu of CEC.

Ok, so the Richer Sounds support suggestion of a hard reset didn't work. Bought that Lindy adapter which does eliminate the dropouts. However it means I can't use the LG remote for sound, so still not ideal long term.

Will get back onto RS to get and IT guy out to fix it, but they said they might take it away, so be without TV. Anyways this is technically no longer a "cable" iissu, so I guess that pretty much closes it for this thread. But onwards for me in the ultimate resolution.

Have you considered just using a programmable remote like a Harmony? I have two home theater systems, both based around LG tv's (LCD and an OLED) and I just use a Harmony to control all of the components. If I need to dig deep into one of the devices, I just use the individual remote if I don't have the options on my Harmony.

I do have a Harmony remote which I use when I watch Blu-ray's or the projector, but I really like the LG magic remote otherwise, with its pointer.

Yeah, the LG's Magic Remote (I have a 65 C8) is kinda cool but being as I rarely use the built-in apps, I don't miss it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom