1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V button scrolling

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by siy, Jul 22, 2004.

1. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All -

Righto - I'm a bit confused.

I have my new set up all installed now.
    Plasma = Hitachi 42PD5300 (the one with the media box)
    Sony amp
    Sony DVD
    Sony VCR
    Pace cable box (NTL) - being upgraded to Samsung next week.

My question is this:

At present, the VCR connects by scart into AV1, Cable into AV2 by scart and the DVD into AV4 by component.

When watching the screen, if I want to switch sources, I have to scroll thru AV1/AV2/AV3 etc... until I get to the one that i want (eg, may have to push the same button 4 times, to get to the dvd channel.

This annoys me SOOooooo Much - Is this really the way that it's meant to be? I am sure in this day and age it can't be the case, and either it's wired up incorrectly, or there must be something that I can add to the system to allow you to go directly to whichever source you want, without scrolling through others?

Also - in the garbled different sets of instructions that hitachi give you with this set - there is a pic of a smaller remote that seems to have direct inputs for AV1, AV2 etc etc.

Was this the remote for the 5200 or 5100 , and should I have got it with my screen? It would have made things much simpler.

Pleeease can anyone shed light on the problem??

Thanks all
    Siy

2. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    the 5200 certainly has individual buttons for each input

Attached Files:

3. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now on my remote for the 5300 - those 6 av.rgb buttons are there - but they dont change the channels, and they arent labelled as such - other than that it looks absolutely the same. Do you have to push something before you push one of them, in order for it to know you are trying to change source?
    Thanks by the way
    Siy

4. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    ah...I will let you know tomorrow when my 5200 is installed. Was hoping that they would take you direct to the right input as planning to substitute the remote for a universal one

5. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im on the phone to hit at the mo - they don't seem to know - quelle surprise!

Anyone else help with this? Or do you know the model screen that comes with the little remote control? (the one that doesnt hane nos.1-9, just the 4 colour buttons, 4 av input buttons, menu and volume buttons)

I am getting desperate - really doesnt seem a very good set up if it cant be done !

6. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I think that remote comes with the pd5000 which is the display only. Cannot think why the buttons are there on the remote pictured above if they don't select the input you press!

7. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    it may be another limitation of the external box that comes with the 5300, which it seems is one generation older than the screen itself

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Well, assuming that the 5300 works in the same way as the 42PD3000 and I'm guessing that it should as the media box is the same, you can assign the AV inputs to the number buttons on the remote.

For example, I've got mine set so that if I press 6, it takes me to AV4 (component DVD) and, if I press 7, it takes me to AV2 (Sky).

I'm at work at the moment so can't remember how I did it but there were instructions in the manual.

HTH

John

9. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is the problem - the MM box is from the previous generation of Hitachi - the 3000 model. The remote that comes with the MM box looks exactly the same as the remote that comes with the 5200 right down to the colours but the functions are totally different. AFAIK you do actually have to scroll through the inputs - I tried my 5200 remote with the direct inputs on a friends 5300 with MM box (in Australia its called the 5000VA) and the MM box does not respond to the direct input button commands... :-(

IMHO unless you really need the one (two with proprietory audio cable) connection lead to the plasma then you are better off with the model without the MM box as you have far more input choice, including DVI which is taken up by the MM box connection.

There's another thread running here at the moment about this very problem - look for 'Hitachi should be sued'...

10. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup - seen that - but for me the 5300 is the solution that I need. Thats a shame that the other remote didnt work, as I was just about to order one of them, hoping that that would give me direct access.

Johndon - I read the (many) manuals thoroughly last night, but couldnt find a way of assigning the different AV's to the numbered buttons - that would be perfect if I could do that.

Do you mind checking for me? Thanks very much indeed.

Hmmm.... why are things never straight forward?
    Siy

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    This is how you do it on a 42PD3000:

Go to the Menu
    Select Install
    Select Manual Setup
    Select the channel number you wish to change
    Press the Right cursor key
    Select OK
    Use Up/Down cursor keys to select the AV source
    Press OK
    Press TV button to resume normal operation

You can now use the selected channel button to choose the AV source. I've got mine as follows:

6 - AV4
    7 - AV2
    8 - AV3
    9 - FRONT

I'm getting a 5300 on Tuesday so I'll soon find out if it works on that as well.

John

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The obsession with sigle cable connections and a media box being the only way puzzles me. There are many other ways of achieving this, not least with the ultimate media box, a top quality scaler. DVDO and Lumagen could accomplish this, or for that matter any 1/2 decent AV amp, it's easy. If you have a long cable run which requires a proprietary cable it's usually substancially cheaper too. (cant spell this am) Offhand, I can't think of more than 2 or 3 installs I've ever done with more than one connection to the screen, unless for some specific purpose, like we just did in order to get picture in picture on a Panasonic 50" There we have DVI from a scaler, and s-video for the little one.

13. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Johndon - Thanks

after reading the posts - I re-read the manuals (again), and found it. You are absolutely right - you can give each source an individual number.

That is great - saves me buying another remote just for selecting the source

This forum, (and everyone here) is great. Really useful. Hope at some point I can help others out.
    Thanks guys

ps -

Have read a lot about scalers and the like, but don't really understand them. Is there a simple definition of what they do anywhere?

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Simply put, they take a signal from the connected source, RGB and sync say, from a scart, which is PAL video, 720x576, interlaced video. This they turn, in your case, to 1024x1024 alternating field 60HZ pumped out of a DVI connection. The actual change in number of pixels is handled by much higher grade electonics than Hitachi employ. The image is steadier, cleaner and sharper as a result. More colour tweaking options are then available for the likes of Gordon or Piers to play with. They are ISF certified calibrators. When they've finished, you should have the most lifelike representation possible. Lots of people manage perfectly well without the calibration, but it makes a difference for those who care enough.

15. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmm - now thats what I need. So do the sources plug into the scaler, and then go from the scaler to the plasma? if so do you retain scart /composite connections, or do they change too?

I have been unable to get a great pic so far especially on sky.This may be down to the NTL connection, which is being re-done next week, and thePace box being upgraded to Samsung. I will do thta, check the results , then decide upon scaler/calibration.
    What sort of cost for thjis do you reckon?

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    connections vary depending on the scaler. I'm a DVDO man, Wake up Gordon!!! (he keeps saying he'll see me about Lumagen) They have 2 RGB and sync or component connections. From NTL/SKY/Freeview, you'd use a scart to 4 phono lead, very easy. DVD player, you have the choice. The scaler costs £995, calibration I believe is around £250, but that's Gordon's business, don't take my word for that.