Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

a/v amp on or off

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ewin, Apr 30, 2003.

1. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a pioneer vsx-510 and want to know should i have the amp on all the time or should i use the stand-by button ,i say this because i`ve heard that some amp`s take some time to warm up and that`s when u get the best sound rather from a cold start or i`m i talking b.s

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It's true that most amp's "work best" once they've warmed up, but to be honest, it's entirely up to you. I'm fairly mindful of my electricity bill so tend to leave mine in standby, but others on here leave there's switched on 24/7.

You could always just make a mental note to switch it on a couple of hours before you sit down to watch a film if you want the best of both worlds :)

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,850
    my rotel is never turned off, so its been on non-stop for about 14 months now, and i use the standby function on my sony amp.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a standby on my Yammy receiver. I turn it off whenever I'm not using it, but it's always plugged into the mains socket.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Not all amps take time to warm up, its the amps containing large capacity caps in the power supply that have the most trouble. Components like Black caps take an age to fully charge due to the dielectric constituents, these need leaving on for a minimum of 24hrs.

Naim amps are particularly vunerable to this, the advice is clearly indicated in the operating manual. If you listen to a dealer dem of a just switched on Naim, you will wish you had'nt, the sound is harsh and lacks bass, 24hrs later its a different beast.

This doesnt apply to more budget amplification and I would include the majority of HC amps in this league.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    karkus has a good point here,and I always leave the low power consumption items in my system(processor/dvd/cd/upsampler) either in standby or permanently on,but the amps are left off until required due to cost considerations!
    As he says,most AV amps won't need a lengthy warm-up,but high powered Class A amps certainly do,and Krells/Levinsons etc dont give their best for at least 30-60mins after a cold start.