A Tripod at the O2 Arena.

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that type but one from Mars.

238736364-M.jpg

Went to see the War of the Worlds show in Dec. Had a great time as we were in row 3 right in the centre. Only problem was i only had my Fuji F31Fd with me.
All night i kept kicking myself for leaving the 40D at home. I had a jacket on that would easily fit the body and my 85mmf/1.8 without getting caught but i bottled out just before we left to go to the gig.
so anyway, ive put a few of the better ones here but don't really consider any of them much good. I was impressed with the exposure system on the Fuji though. very controllable (when i remembered to do it).
http://davepearce.smugmug.com/gallery/4095624#238735226

Happy new year to all.:hiya:

They're not bad shots at all Dave, nicely exposed and really sharp :smashin:
The show is coming back to Cardiff in April and I'd love to go but I might be away that weekend :(.
I've been to the O2 twice (the Prince shows) and they did a thorough search when we entered the arena. I wouldn't have thought it possible to smuggle a dslr in going on my experience.

Thanks.
I was surprised at the quality of some of the shots, but as i had to stay sitting they were all very similar in composition.

I also went to see prince and i can tell you they were a lot stricter at the door on that night (not that it stopped a lot of people getting a P&S in, myself included) but i never got searched.
The jacket i have is a three quarter length one with very large two inside pockets and i can get my 40D in one and a lens in the other. Done it a few times at the Royal Albert Hall.

I can see from that pic that tripods are allowed in the building :rotfl:

Joking aside, looks like an amazing show :)

I can see from that pic that tripods are allowed in the building :rotfl:

Joking aside, looks like an amazing show :)

The show was good but the venue wasnt IMO (and a lot of others that saw the show also have commented on this). The acoustics are terrible once you get away from the stage. Great for loud rock and pop i guess but for things like the speaking parts there was a lot of echo. luckily as we were in row three we had the direct sound coming off stage and some speakers at head height built in to the stage so it sounded great.
If you have seen the DVD from the 2006 tour (it was on at Christmas on Sky as well) then you already knew what to expect but it was great hearing the opening chords at that sort of volume.

About 20 mins before the show starts there is a roving camera in the belly of the Tripod linked to the big screen on stage. Its goes all around the audience zooming in and loads of people were taking pics of themselves on the big screen without any problems so i guess, at lest for that night, camera's weren't a problem. I guess i might have been thrown out if i had taken my 70-200 f/4IS though.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2206460,00.html

[-]I've just spent the last 20 minutes looking for this story ... you know when you are convinced that you've read something but can't find it again for love nor money ... anyway ... I digress![/-]

Prince is a right diva luvvie apparently ... I'm not one to normally give a flying whatsit about celebrity gossip but I do think this is ridiculous ...

Nice shot btw :smashin:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2206460,00.html

[-]I've just spent the last 20 minutes looking for this story ... you know when you are convinced that you've read something but can't find it again for love nor money ... anyway ... I digress![/-]

Prince is a right diva luvvie apparently ... I'm not one to normally give a flying whatsit about celebrity gossip but I do think this is ridiculous ...

Nice shot btw :smashin:

I think the phrase is "up his own arse".
Everwhere you looked there were signs saying no photos. They even had posters saying something along the lines of "we want you to remeber this show and look back on it as a fond a memory" or something like that.
got to respect him for lowering the price and giving the album away free though.
The WOTW tickets cost around £57 each.

One way of putting it :D

I've got tickets to see Smashing Pumpkins in Feb there ... I can't remember off the top of my head how much they cost ... more than I was happy at paying for a big stadium show but then again when they played Sheperds Bush in November tickets were going for £500+ ... so maybe I've got off lightly :rotfl:

I didnt mind the face value of the tickets (£47) but i ordered three and got charged a booking fee for each of them. plus postage. Came to £167.
Now i know this isnt down to the artist but if im going to have to pay that much im going to get some memories as well. And not the type that are just in my head. It was quite funny though at the prince gig as when he came on all could see were the LCD's of about 100 camera's and mobile phones.
I go to the RAH quite a bit as my girlfriend's company have a box there so we get tickets for nothing and once in the box you could set up a full video shoot no one would notice. last time i went to see the cirque du soleil i took my 30D and 50mm f/1.4 and had no problems taking shots from the box. At half time we took a walk right to the very top of the building and it was such a great view looking down on to the (empty) stage i took a shot with my Mobile phone. I got told off for that and was made to erase it. I didnt mind as i took over 100 shots with my 30D but i think if you spend all that money you should be allowed to take some, non pro, shots.
Still, i guess this is getting OT now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom