A Trip to the Snowy Highlands of Scotland

allymac123

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Took a trip to the highlands just before christmas, while I was back at home.

Have never been to the highlands in the snow since I started photography and its been something I've wanted to do for a while.

The visit didn't let me down and it was a joy to be in such a stunning place with decent weather. It got down to -11 at points (this no longer sounds as cold after the last few days!) but as there was not a breath of wind it was fairly comfortable (I was well wrapped up).

Makes me yearn for a decent 4x4 as there was a number of places I just couldn't park up and photograph due to the 'car parks' being under 8/9 inches of snow.

Anyhoo, hope you enjoy

#1 - The White 'Black Mount' with a frozen Loch in the foreground (click for larger)

on flickr
Panorama of vertically taken shots @ 70mm | F8 | 1/30s | 0.3ND Hard

#2 - White Shadows

17mm | F8 | 1/30s | 0.3 ND Hard

#3 - Winter Wonderland

17mm | F8 | 1/200s | 0.6ND Hard

#4 - Black Rock Cottage
4253997525_bb0884506d_o.jpg

panorama of vertically taken shots (for more pixels) @ 24mm | F8 | 1/50s | CPL

#5 - Icy Loch Tulla (I was standing on the loch to take this)
4253997825_4448b4b932_o.jpg

13mm | F10 | 1/20s | 0.6 ND Hard

All C&C most welcome.

Last edited:
The title is meant to Read - A Trip to the Snowy Highlands of Scotland.

Could a Mod please change?

Really excellent landscape photography, Ally.

The mono 'white shadows' is just brilliant.

Hello there

Lovely set Ally.

Really do like White Shadows:smashin:

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

#1 is stunning:thumbsup:

I've def seen #4 before somewhere? I assume its a well photographed cottage?

P.S What 4x4 do you drive just now?

Wonderful to see Ally, your the man when it comes to landscape photography, i can feel the atmosphere with these photographs.
Thanks for making the effort to drive up to the highlands for us:thumbsup:

Brilliant work again Ally :thumbsup:

Great set Ally. #3 is an absolute cracker. :thumbsup:

Must get myself some grads, I really must.

Thanks for all the comments folks. Much appreciated :smashin:

I've def seen #4 before somewhere? I assume its a well photographed cottage?

P.S What 4x4 do you drive just now?

yeah you'll find the subject matter of #4 all over shortbread tins etc. Very well known location.

I don't have any 4x4 at the moment. TBH I'm not a massive fan of them, sacrificing handling and fuel consumption when the vehichle will hardly ever be used off road anyway. Thinking about it a little more personally though, landscape photography in places like this does require you to have a fair bit of confidence in your vehichle's ability. I always carry a shovel, sleeping bag and hot drink in these conditions but it would make a big difference if I could go down untreated roads and park in snowy carparks knowing that (as long as I wasn't being stupid) I should be able to get back on to the main road.

I borrowed my mums Merc A-Class for this journey which is okay in the snow but its got quite wide tires which makes it pretty useless at getting up slopes. It's FWD though so could be a lot worse.

I think what I will probably end up doing is getting myself a 4WD hatchback like an Audi A3 quattro or a Golf 4Motion. And if I get myself a set of skinny rims with decent tread for the winter months I should have the best of both worlds.

Great set - hate you ;) - love the mono conversion especially but the last shot and the cottage shot are well worth a special mention too :smashin:

Jim

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom