• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

a trip to the flicks

Graham43

Established Member
I went to the cinema (Odeon Gateshead Metro) yesterday to see Iron Man. Not a bad film, but not a good film. It passed a couple of hours.

What I would like to comment on is the terrible picture quality you get at the cinema these days. DVD quality would be just about the right description for this showing. It was like I had a plastic bag over my eyes. They showed a trailer for Speed Racer which I had just seen a couple of days beforehand on my iMac in HD. What a considerable difference between the two. The HD version is breathtaking. You can see individual faces in crowd scenes, reflections on the cars etc etc. The cinema version is just rubbish in comparison. It has actually put me off going to see it on the big screen, and instead wait for the hi-def version to watch at home.

Shoka

Prominent Member
This is vey strange.

I cant say I've noticed it, I normally go to the cinema (also an Odeon) about twice a week.

Most mainstream films are now distributed on digital prints not 35mm, basically the film is held somewhere on a hard drive (normally in hi-def) and then distributed around cinemas electronically.

I could understand if it was a "dirty" 35mm print, but I would put money on it not being, although the trailers could have been, the film itself would most likely not be.

Maybe it was just an isolated case and the equipment in the cinema was not calibrated properly.

Don't let it put you off I'm sure next time it will be better. These days for me nothing beats the cinema, I dont have a huge screen anymore, so going to the cinema I can just imerse myself, the only thing that ruins it is people talking, and kids throwing popcorn, but hey, I used to do that when I was a nipper, so I can't get that mad with them.

Shaun666

Prominent Member
I dont have a huge screen anymore, so going to the cinema I can just imerse myself, the only thing that ruins it is people talking, and kids throwing popcorn, but hey, I used to do that when I was a nipper, so I can't get that mad with them.

And that's why cinemas these days are full of kids talking to each other, or on their mobiles, or texting on their ultra-bright phones, or checking for messages every couple of minutes. And don't get me started on the seat-back kickers or the people who think the back of the seat in front is for them to rest their stinky feet on.
Hanging is too good for them !!!

the_pauley

Banned
I went to the cinema (Odeon Gateshead Metro) yesterday to see Iron Man. Not a bad film, but not a good film. It passed a couple of hours.

What I would like to comment on is the terrible picture quality you get at the cinema these days. DVD quality would be just about the right description for this showing. It was like I had a plastic bag over my eyes. They showed a trailer for Speed Racer which I had just seen a couple of days beforehand on my iMac in HD. What a considerable difference between the two. The HD version is breathtaking. You can see individual faces in crowd scenes, reflections on the cars etc etc. The cinema version is just rubbish in comparison. It has actually put me off going to see it on the big screen, and instead wait for the hi-def version to watch at home.
Your thoughts on Iron Man mirror mine exactly. :smashin:

Likewise I agree with your comments on AV in some cinemas. Even before HD friends often commented on movies on my system looking and (in particular) sounding better than at the cinema. We also, more often than not, have noisy kid syndrome to contend with too.

Between this and the chavs nattering and p***ing about, I'm afraid trips to the flicks are becoming rarer.

To sum up yesterday, myself and one of my mates that went to watch Iron Man in the afternoon, decided to go back to my place, get a pile of nibbles in and have a movie double bill. Watched Atonement and The Manchurian Candidate on HD. No chavs, non-rip off prices on the snacks, top AV quality and two great movies for grown-ups to boot. Like I said to my mate, why go to the bother of going out to the cinema and paying £7 a ticket?

kBm

Distinguished Member
I notice that alot of screens are dirty, full of dents, scratches etc.

I've often thought that if you can buy top spec projector kits to watch full blown hd quality movies - why hasn't cinemas cuaght up? They seem to be using the same old screens?

Also, when watching films you often get the old style 'blips and marks' in the film (im sure there is a technical term!)

Granted, the setting is immersive, and the sound is fantastic, but the quality is not there.

Sadly, movies still take the millions required for the cinema to gloss over the quality issues.....

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
The screen I saw Iron Man on at Odeon in Southend was filthy. Covered in black blobs that you can't not keep noticing.

What I begrudge is booking online, it is already expensive at £7.20 a ticket (for the 10.30am showing on a Sunday) but to charge a £1.20 "booking fee" per seat on top is taking the mick!!!

Lezman

Prominent Member
I was thinking the exact same when I saw Iron Man.

I've really got to try harder to wait for the HD version, buying snacks and beer in the comfort of my own home and only ever going to the cinema for rare occasions- Indy will be the next.
Maybe Dark Knight.

2 x tickets = £14.40 (maybe plus booking fee).
Pocorn and a drink for the missus = £6 or so.
Total = £20+

When you can own the film for less than that, the cinema is way oevrpriced.

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
When I factor in parking and food (plus kissing my mum's ass to babysit) it cost us over £25 to go and see one film.

Yuzo

Established Member
saw Ironman the other day, thought it was certainly up there with the best hero movies.

we was out of town, so we visit a "Vue" cinema,.. my first experience with them,.. i was ready to walk out at the start, as they played the first 5 minutes in some crazy 4:3 aspect ratio :eek:

When I factor in parking and food (plus kissing my mum's ass to babysit) it cost us over £25 to go and see one film.

find somebody who has an Orange phone, and go to the ODEON for BOGOF wednesdays... the gf is on orange so we get 2 tickets every week for around £6.... unless the films a big blockbuster,.. then i have to go on release day ;)

Graham43

Established Member
I would of complained but I had to rush out to catch a bus.

Cinema seems to sell it's self on the "cinema experience" - big screen and Dolby Digital sound. But you can get all of that (and more) in your own home these days for a modest sum. And you don't get asked "would you like a Standard or Premier seat." It's like sitting behind a row of roller coaster seat backs. Don't anybody try and sneak onto one of those "Premier" seats, they turf you out if you have only paid for a rock hard/angled towards the floor/squeaky seat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom