A TREMENDOUS issue

FinnedSgang

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, I have a terrible problem with my Denon AVR-X3500H all sources no longer come out in FHD but in very low resolution.
I don't know how it happened but now anything connected to the av receiver is displayed on my TV in low resolution (640x4xx something).

I've tried two consoles, and a firestick 4k and both display fine when connected directly to the TV, but not when connected to the Denon...

I really don't know what to do.
I tried turning off the power for a couple of minutes, but it didn't solve the problem ... please help!

Reset to factory settings might help.

Thanks everyone for the reply!
I'm trying to troubleshoot the problem.

The tirst thing i noticed is that the screen flashes several times before it stabilize, seems Is like to adjusting the resolution, also if none of the sources are connected. I tried the to disconnect all the sources but the flashes were still there.

So i disconneted the second HDMI output, an Epson 7400 videoprojector
And magically everything worked again. So the problem is on the videoprojector or the second HDMI output, or the cable ( a 10m fiber optic HDMI cable that replaced a standard HDMI cable 1 year ago because i had a no signal issue ). So i tried to leave the second HDMI output and disconnect the AC plug from the Epson, but the problem persist.

The only way to let the source work correctly, seems to disconnect the HDMI out2

The videoprojector meanwhile have a no signal error. I left the A/C plug of the videoprojector unplugged, and i will try this evening if something changed

Reset to factory, pull the mains lead for 10 mins

tried this, but didn't work. Anyone know how to select the hdmi out? if i want to leave just the one or two active

HDMI devices continue to broadcast their EDID even if in standby. The EDID includes the capabilities of that the device and a source will prioritise the least capable device detected as a guide as to what it can and should output. All that is happening is that the source is detecting the PJ and its capabilities even when not using said PJ. The source will only output video the PJ can handle depite the fact you are viewing it on a display able to handle higher resolutions.

Denon receivers that have mirrored JDMI outputs do not unfortunately have a button on their remote that can be used to switch HDMI output and or disable them. You can however change which outputs are engaged via the main configurayions and you can assign QUICK SELECT activities that incorporate different variations of these configurations.

Another quick workaround would be to turn the PJ off at the mains supply if and when not using it. It would then cease to broadcast its EDID to other devoces in the HDMI chain.

Last edited:
I assume the x3700 handles this better?

4k and 1080p outputs connected concurrently

No, all Denon and Marantz models inclusive of mirrored outputs would behave in the exact same manner.

Some other manufacturerssuch as Yamaha for example do however include a button on their remote allow users to easilly alter the output configurations on the fly.

It has nothing to do with Denon or how they impliment HDMI. Denon are governed by the rules HDMI is gioverned. All AV receivers will and do react this way regardless of who make them. THere is nothing the manufacturer can do to negate this and it is part of the HDMI specifications.

There is no workaround a manufacturer can use to negate this.

The only thing amiss with Denon and or Marantz models is the absence of a button on the remote to allow users to easilly switch the outputs on the fly. Denon are not responsible for what caused the issue in the first place.

It has nothing to do with Denon or how they impliment HDMI. Denon are governed by the rules HDMI is gioverned. All AV receivers will and do react this way regardless of who make them. THere is nothing the manufacturer can do to negate this and it is part of the HDMI specifications.

There is no workaround a manufacturer can use to negate this.

The only thing amiss with Denon and or Marantz models is the absence of a button on the remote to allow users to easilly switch the outputs on the fly. DEnon are not responsible for what caused the issue in the first place.

Ok, so you posted why it shouldn't work which is not what I asked.

I asked why the other user posted it was switching ;)

How come when they switch the Apple TV realises and switches to 4k?

Ok, so you posted why it shouldn't work which is not what I asked.

I asked why the other user posted it was switching ;)

I dunno and I've not an Apple TV to go test it with, but I'd maybe suggest that he is mistaken? This issue is one that is often experienced and the reasons for it happening are known. It isn't a new issue or one that is specific to this one instance.

If he is not experience this with the ATV then it would mean that the ATV is ignoring the EDID of the PJ?

Thanks for the reply guys but unfortunately disabling the HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 solved only part of the problem. I now have the TV showing correctly 1080p when HDMI 1 is active, but when switching to HDMI 2 output, the DENON Logo flashes 5-6 times and then disappears, showing a NO SIGNAL on the projector (a 4k Epson 7400).

To exclude that the projector is broken I used an HDMI firestick connected directly to the PJ and it worked, showing the image. So what I think is the cable or the Denon HDMI out. I just ordered from Amazon a new 10m fiber cable to exclude is a broken cable. (could an electromagnetic charge from a thunder for example broke a cable? )

Another thing I would like to add is that the configuration with HDMI 1 - 2 output worked fine for almost two years, and I was able to switch from TV to PJ without issue (at first I thought I needed an HDMI switch but then when everything worked fine, I sent the switchback). The only precaution I used was to not start the PJ and TV together.

What about the cabling between the AV receiver and the PJ? How long is this and is it just a basic copper HDMI cable. For distance greater than 8m then you'd be advised to use HDMI over HDBaseT (cat5 or 6) for a 1080p signal. If using conventional HDMI cabling then you are more probe to issues with signal dropouts the longer the HDMI cable run is.

Is an hdmi fiber cable 10m long

You should be fine with a hybrid fibre cable and that would be even better than HDBaseT using cat cabling. Fibre should enable you to convey 4k UHD video over the distance concerned, whereas HDBaseT and cat5 or 6 would be limited to HD 1080p or 3D 1080p.

You should be fine with a hybrid fibre cable and that would be even better than HDBaseT using cat cabling. Fibre should enable you to convey 4k UHD video over the distance concerned, whereas HDBaseT and cat5 or 6 would be limited to HD 1080p or 3D 1080p

That's why it's strange. It worked for two years without a problem. Then suddenly stopped working.
I ordered a new Hybrid fiber cable to check if it's a cable problem or a HDMI out issue

Merry Christmas to you all!
Just an update on this issue. It was not the cable. I tried with another hybrid cable same length and it doesn't work either.
The only way to prevent the problem to happen was to completely remove the HDMI cable from the HDMI Out 2. In this way, everything worked fine.

During the troubleshooting process, I also noticed some electric dispersion on the chassis of the amplifier, so I sent the Denon to repair, it was the last week of warranty so I preferred to do this way. If it's a hardware problem, at least I don't have to spend money on that.

Hi all guys, my denon 3500 returned from the repair service in Germany. They replaced the entire HDMI board (the fix log says only “replaced hdmi not functional”) and now everything works as expected.

The hdmi 2 and 1 are on auto, so when I use my 4K projector on hdmi 2, I can see it in 4K and when using the FHD tv, it works normally. As I said, the only precautions I use to avoid Edid issues is to start the projector only when the tv is off.
The electric dispersion I noticed is coming from the preamp: I use a Yamaha Pro p3500s for the front channel and I think the pre amp don’t have the electric ground, so when the two devices touch each other there’s the dispersion and I can see a noise in the tweeter.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom