A tough ask...

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by azwilson87, Feb 16, 2017.

1. azwilson87

azwilson87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello!

I'm looking for some advice before I drive myself mad. I am looking for a 2.0 set up for my den. Budget is preferably under £150 so I'd be looking at powered speakers.

My TV is a Samsung Ue55ks7000 with only optical out for audio. This has restricted my options somewhat, although I'm aware there are potential ways around this, with an Hdmi splitter.

I previously tried some Steljes NS-3 speakers but there was an issue where they did not get very loud at all through the TV but were pretty damn loud and fit the bill when connected to a laptop or pc. They ended up going back because there was a fault with one of the cones.

Does anybody have any ideas on speakers which may fit the bill or whether I should get another pair of Steljes and just put up with the low volume oddity?

I appreciate any help!

Ali

2. YEHBABY

YEHBABY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
  3. azwilson87

azwilson87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, they do look good. They are quite a bit over budget though unfortunately.

Do you think I have any other options? I'm not the most clued up on these things. I am pretty baffled as to why it only has 1 audio out connection. It seems like you have to choose between a soundbar or going down the receiver route which, for me would be overkill.

4. YEHBABY

YEHBABY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Sorry I'm not clued up on cheaper options, I found the BT3 when I was researching the various options.

I seriously considered getting them but ended up going for a much more expensive option (see signature below for spec).

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,123
    Are you sure that you TV doesn't have a Headphone output? Because that would be ideal.

The problem with using the Optical Output is that its volume is fixed. That means you either have to get up and change the volume on the speaker, or you need to spend the money and get speakers that have a remote volume control.

Within the parameters of what you asked for, and the need for a volume control, likely the Q Acoustic BT3 are about your only choice. But you have to accept that they are only 4" (100mm) speakers. That's going to be far better than your TV built-in speakers, but you only get just so much from a 4" speaker.

The BT3 also has an optical input making things a bit easier -

Bluetooth connection
    Line in (via 3.5 mm mini jack)
    Line in (via 2 x RCA/phono)
    Digital optical audio in (via toslink)
    Speaker terminals

Next, your budget is very low, £150 would be enough to cover one good speaker. Though we all understand having a limited budget because we have all been there.

Just a quick scan through Bluetooth Active Speakers, I really don't see much for choice besides the Q Acoustic BT3.

For best results you need an Optical Input and a Remote Volume Control. That is going to be hard to find.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

6. azwilson87

azwilson87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the advice. Just the optical out. I think it's craziness to be honest. Just because I am happy to drop a decent bit of money on a TV doesn't me that I'll necessarily want to have to buy an amp if I want external speakers. Or am I being naïve?

The Steljes NS-3 fit the bill really well but even though they were powered and had a remote, the maximum volume was rubbish. Great when hooked up to my desktop and laptop computers but nowhere near loud enough hooked up to the TVs optical out.

I've considered a small hifi dac amplifier and a pair of Q Acoustics 2020i. That should bring me in around the right mark.

This is about the only one I've come across that is relatively cheap, has an optical in and isn't an absolute colossus. Why is there this insistence for amps to be huge?

Sabaj Audio A2 Digital Amplifier with Built-in AptX Bluetooth CSR 4.0 100W RMS(Silver): Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

Not anything fancy by any stretch, but should do the job right?

7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,123
    If you are using the TV Optical Audio Out, go into the TV Menus and set the TV Optical Output to PCM. That works best and works in all cases.

Steve/bluewizard

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    For me, the people who tend o spend a lot on a screen are often into the whole home theatre experience so will often have a full external surround sound system. Hence will not be too bothered about poor speakers on the actual TV itself. Also since people are wanting thinner and thinner TVs then this means the sound is going to be compromised (you can not have it both ways).
    Also check in the TV setup menu as you may be able to increase the output level on the optical output so that it is not so quiet.

9. azwilson87

azwilson87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I can understand that. I guess I just think that the more you spend, the more connectivity you should get. The TV is beautifully thin, but it also has a separate Connect board.

Unfortunately I went through every option to try to increase the external volume output. I even spoke to Samsung directly to ask if there was anything within the service menu which may have been limiting the output. No joy.

10. YEHBABY

YEHBABY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    The BT3 are £199 with Peter Tyson. Nearer your budget. It might be worth your while ringing them and telling them you're a AVF member and see if they'll reduce it more. Worth a try.

Q Acoustics BT3 Bluetooth Speakers

11. azwilson87

azwilson87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That is a very good deal. Thanks for that. They sound as though they are very good speakers.

I'm toying more with the idea of getting one of those mini stereo amps and some passive speakers. I'll have to mull things over.

Thanks again for your help.