A Touch of Frost Series 1-5 DVD Aspect Ratio

DSGeorgeToolan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. For my first post on this forum, I thought I'd share some information regarding the early series of the wonderful 'A Touch of Frost'.

I think it has always been assumed that, as they were made in the early '90s, they were filmed in 4:3, but a recent ITV3 broadcast of the superb 'A Minority of One' seems to indicate that they have ALWAYS been intended for 16:9. Have a look at these:

This is a screengrab of the current R2 DVD from Universal Playback:

AMoO11.jpg

Now here is a grab from the recent ITV3 broadcast, which appears to have been taken from a new HD master judging from the improved clarity and grading, and greatly increased frame area on the left and right:

AMoO10.jpg

And finally a direct comparison between the two, illustrating a slight reduction in vertical composition on the new master:

AMoO12.jpg

Here's hoping for a blu-ray release in the future, eh?

Some more comparisons for anyone who's interested, in the same order as the previous three:

AMoO8.jpg

AMoO7.jpg

AMoO9.jpg

AMoO2.jpg

AMoO1.jpg

AMoO3.jpg

AMoO5.jpg

AMoO4.jpg

AMoO6.jpg

I wouldn't say that they've ALWAYS been intended for 16:9. Looks like they were framed for 4:3 but shot with a 16:9 safe area and have been 'opened up', as per a lot of US TV from the '90s (it's just been done to Friends, for example). Unusual to see it on a UK show though.

Good catch regardless, and welcome to the forums.

It could be ITV are sorting their old stuff for Blu-Ray? I know Acorn Media are releasing the original Poirot series on Blu-Ray in the US and it's been remastered. I believe it was shot on 16mm so I'll be interested in seeing if there's any difference.

Ah yes, the BBC's Pride and Prejudice was another thing shot on 16mm that was transferred at 16:9 for Blu-ray.

I only have the original dvd releases of ATOF but AFAIK this is what happened.

The first few series were made in 4:3.
But when they wanted to start showing widescreen they took these 4:3 versions and cropped them to 16:9.

When the dvd's came out they took that cropped 16:9 version and chopped off the sides for a 4:3 dvd so you actually had bits missing from all 4 sides - basically a hell of a mess.

I would suggest that the HD versions simply restore some of the image that had been incorrectly chopped off in the first place as ITV would have needed to return to the original film for the HD but for dvd's they simply played with existing video masters.

I do not know if subsequent issues of the dvd's have corrected this bodge up.
Apparently its only the Cinema Club series 1-5 that were cocked up.
The later series released by ITV themselves should be correct

Not sure about the dvd's but cropped fake widescreen broadcasts of things like Minder also appeared in the early days of 16:9 ITV.

I do not know if subsequent issues of the dvd's have corrected this bodge up. Apparently its only the Cinema Club series 1-5 that were cocked up. The later series released by ITV themselves should be correct

Unfortunately, ITV seem to have made a similar cock up with series 6 and 7 on DVD, using a cropped 4:3 master for the DVD, cropping it again to 16:9.

These screengrabs from the episode 'One Man's Meat' illustrate the severity of the problem. This image is from the R2 ITV DVD:

OMM2.jpg

And here is the recent ITV transmission:

OMM1.jpg

And a comparison between the two:

OMM3.jpg

And some more:

OMM5.jpg

OMM4.jpg

OMM6.jpg

OMM8.jpg

OMM7.jpg

OMM9.jpg

I inherited some of these DVDs from my late mother but I have to confess that I haven't watched any of them yet. She also used to enjoy Midsomer Murders and all of her DVD's where the original 4/3 or a very annoying 14/9 version of the 16/9 versions. Any DVD or Blu releases should always be in the original aspect ratio as they were meant to be shown.

Bri

I remember before Frost came out there was a female private detective series that went out on ITV on Sunday evenings, quite good as well but only ran one short series. I thing the actress became pregnant.
Anyway the point is this was one of the first series I saw broadcast in 16:9 so I take it everything after should have been filmed in16:9 although broadcast originally in 4:3.

PS anyone know that name of that series?

I inherited some of these DVDs from my late mother but I have to confess that I haven't watched any of them yet. She also used to enjoy Midsomer Murders and all of her DVD's where the original 4/3 or a very annoying 14/9 version of the 16/9 versions. Any DVD or Blu releases should always be in the original aspect ratio as they were meant to be shown.

Bri

The Midsomer Murders ones are truly annoying! Acorn have no plans to re-release them either. Lucky my Oppo has a decent zoom control so I can get rid of the bars above and below.

I remember before Frost came out there was a female private detective series that went out on ITV on Sunday evenings, quite good as well but only ran one short series. I thing the actress became pregnant.
Anyway the point is this was one of the first series I saw broadcast in 16:9 so I take it everything after should have been filmed in16:9 although broadcast originally in 4:3.

PS anyone know that name of that series?
Haha, I know this is a holy thread resurrection but the series you are talking about is Anna Lee.

Haha, I know this is a holy thread resurrection but the series you are talking about is Anna Lee.
I just looked it up and says 14:9 on wiki I wonder if I was watching on a 4:3 TV or not I had one of the first 16:9 TV's I'd just gone from a SONY 4:3 flat vertical but slightly curved horizontally 25 inch to a Philips 32 16:9 but was bulbose.
I think at the time there was only one other maker of them and not one of the big players.

Just been reading there could have been more episodes as the filming company made changes to what was in the books and they got the rights to film the books. The author did not like the changes and stopped writing stop them making changes to them.

I didn't know that but did always wonder why it only lasted a series as it was very good (Brian Glover was great in it as well). I recorded it off ITV 3 a few years back and have just watched it - ITV 3 broadcast it in 4:3 unfortunately. I would like to see it in Widescreen and HD as it looks like it was shot on film - however, I can't see anyone having the appetite to re-master it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom