A touch confused? Component cable question.

burnrubber

Hi,

I have a 32WLT66 LCD that I have connected a Toshiba SD-360E through HDMI & Digital coax for audio, X-Box through an Advanced Scart with optical for the audio. This is all going through a RX-V357 Yamaha receiver

Y would you connect the component cables into the back of the RX-V357 amp from the TV say?

Thanks in advance?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Convenience is the only reason.
You only have one set of cables going to the tele is the idea.
You press say DVD on the amp remote and everything is switched.
But to my mind it's another connection in the chain, so I only route audio.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I suppose you can use an amp to up-convert too, but I doubt this improves the signal, as the poorest method of signal transport in the setup is still the weak link. For example, if you have a composite input and use the amp to get component out, I'd have thought you still get a composite signal even though it's changed to component format.
No doubt I'll be corrected here :rolleyes:
But that's how I see things anyway :smashin:

Reiner

Badger0-0 said:
I suppose you can use an amp to up-convert too, but I doubt this improves the signal, as the poorest method of signal transport in the setup is still the weak link. For example, if you have a composite input and use the amp to get component out, I'd have thought you still get a composite signal even though it's changed to component format.
No doubt I'll be corrected here :rolleyes:
But that's how I see things anyway :smashin:
You are quite right actually, the upconverted signal cannot be much better than what you put in.

BTW: Besides convenience routing video signals via the AV amp/receiver maybe a necessity if you don't have enough (free) inputs a the TV.
If your amp/receiver up-converts you can also reduce the cabling to the TV. And of course you can use the OSD when the a/r is connected to the TV.