1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A topic actually about DVDs for a change,advice on films from late 70s and 1980s

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Jan 13, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    OK !
    back on track. Im after some advice and help if I may. I admit im a DVD addict, im ordering almost 1 film every day and im scared that once all the fims I actually like are ordered ill end up buying any old ****, so can you help.

The majority of my collection ( probably around 300 or so ) are films from the past 10 years. Now I can remember seeing some class films in my youth but am ****ed if I can rememeber what they are so tell me what you recomend.

What films are worth seeing that are within the following criteria.

< 1 > released between 1975 and 1989

< 2 > action packed or funny in a GROUNDHOG DAY type way

< 3 > worth seeing just cos you think its amongst one of the best ever films !!!!!!

I recently purchased RAGING BULL which I have yet to see and was wandering is it worth ordering SCARFACE. If so which version R1 or the soon to be released R2

Im kinda thinking of films like,

BEVERLY HILLS COP, ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, DELIVERENCE, 48HRS, DIRTY DANCING, WHEN HARRY MET SALLY, OFFICER AND GENTLEMEN, THE UNTOUCHABLES,

From the above list I have only seen 2 of the films so would apreciate any recommendations and also YOUR thoughts on the titles mentioned.

Thanks very much
    and my apologise to those people I have upset by posting another thread on the forum, im sorry, but I need more films [​IMG]

2. coolgools

coolgools

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some of the films i likes to see are still not on dvds
    1) thr Pink Panther films
    2) The Party (with Peter Sellers)
    3) Some of the classics Laurel and Hardies
    4) Jerry Lewis /Dean Martin classics

The beauty of comdies are that 5.1 DD is not necessary as the gags are more important

coolgools

------------------
    RESISTANCE IS FUTILE...YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!!

3. Colonial Marine

Colonial Marine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey coolgools, are you Region 1 ready?

I have 3 Pink Panther movies on DVD, they are ageless. I watched these at the cinema with my parents when they were first released!

Im not sure but I think the Party is due for release very soon.

Does anyone remember Damnation Alley?? A really crappy scifi with huge scorpions n stuff.

How about Android with Klaus Kinski?, in fact all of his flicks were a bit weird really.

Now my grey matter is ticking over, hmmnn.

------------------
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.....it's the only way to be sure.

4. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Duncan

I can't believe that you are a film nut and have not seen Raging Bull. Were you a POW or something for the last 20 years?

As for films from your list - I would only recommend Deliverance and Untouchables (and maybe Assault on Precinct 13) - forget about the rest.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Duncan,

I hope the following may offer you some interesting choices. Enjoy perusing!

1) "Runaway Train" (1985) with Jon Voight, Rebecca DeMornay and Eric Roberts: Highly kinetic thriller about two prison convicts who flee a sadistic warden, and find themselves on an out-of-control express train! Written by Akira Kurosawa, and directed by Andrei Konchalovsky!

2) Nikita (1987) Stunning French-language thriller about a young female drug-addict, who kills a police-officer, and is given a choice of helping the government as an assassin, or to be put to death by injection! Great restrained action scenes, with some wonderfully humourous scenes!

3) Midnight Run (1988) Classic 80's action-comedy, similar in style to "Beverly Hills Cop", with Robert DeNiro as the bounty hunter, trying to cope with a seriously deranged money-launderer! Very funny, and very profane! (Shame the DVD has bugger-all extras though!)

4) Risky Business (1985) Tom Cruise and Rebecca DeMornay, star in wonderfully accurate 80's classic, about a teenager who dreams of doing exactly what the rest of us only dared think of, whilst his parents go on vacation! Funny, romantic, and even tender at times!

5) Crime Story (1987) Michael Mann produced this American TV series, set in 1960's Chicago. Dennis Farina plays Detective Mike Torello, who's after a young gangster Ray Luca (Anthony Dennison). Stylish 80's retro movie, with assured direction by Abel Ferrara. This is the Pilot movie for the Tv series, that can be watched on its own! Excellent music score, and very reminiscent of Mann's earlier series "Miami Vice", but with better acting, and tighter writing. See if you can spot how many other Mann regulars turn up in this movie, before going on to bigger and better things.

6) Finally, "The Killing Of America"! A Regeion 2 DVD that shows why gun-laws in the USA in the late 70's and early 80's failed miserably, and why the right to bear arms should be abolished. Shocking, uncompromising and raw documentary that simply should be seen by everyone, young and old! Be warned, you may find some of the scenes distressing! (Chapter 8 - Vietnam - is a brilliant scene, that's both powerful and extremely moving!)

Hope this is of some use to you.

Pooch

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    A few more;

Ferris Buellers Day off
    War Games
    Rambo 1&2
    Rocky IV
    Apocalypse now
    Predator
    Commando
    Highlander (R1 DVD quality stinks, R2 french version ?)
    Top Gun
    Wallstreet
    Ghostbusters
    Gremlins
    Aliens

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Assault on Precinct 13 is a must. Classic 80's stuff with a bit of a funky soundtrack.
    Scarface too. Goodfilm. Pacino OTT but so what. I loved it.
    Have fun.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

8. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    SCARFACR R2 is only going to have pro-logic sound, does the R1 version have 5.1 ?

Is WALL STREET really THAT good ? I guess I was too young at the time it came out, but has it aged well ?

Im probably going to order all three RAMBO movies, like the first two and even though lots complain about number 3 I have yet to see it !

What is the DTS version of PREDATOR like ? Worth buying ?

Have GHOSTBUSTERS, FERRIS, GREMLINS and all ALIENS but there the type of films im thinking about !!!

What else do you recommend ?

9. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a slightly wide topic!

Are you sure Scarface is Pro-Logic

I'm sure on the HMV ad it was 5.1

anyway, get it

Pacino is a god, almost invincible in the film until som emexican waxes him.

Assault on Precinct 13

what was that all about, that, along with Dual has to be one of the most motiveless films (in reference to the folks attacking (why?) and the truck driver in Dual(why?).

Cheesy seventies films

Mad Max (i believe this is only available region 1 (region3) with the folk dubbed over by yokels

Vanishing Point (i'm not sure if this was released or not, dvdboxoffice advertised it, the DC for $60 for a while then it dissappeared)

Death Race 2000 (region 0)

Warriors (another wierd film. If they wanted to get across new york without being killed by rival gangs, why didn't the get a taxi?)

Eighties films

well...
    Mad MAX 2 (don't know which version)

Blade Runner Deluxe box

Nighthawks (never saw much of that film but sylvester stallone looked like my dad in it freaky, same beard tash mullet and huge glasses)

mmm... the eighties wasn't such a good decade

Die Hard 2

Empire Strikes back

Tango and cash (ahem)

tERMINATOR

Robocop

Highlander

Full Metal Jacket

The Shining

that's enough i think

i'm sure i'm repeating other folks.

buy yourself two film guides 70's and 80's and look yourself, you'll probably come up with better answers.

infact for eighties films, watch BBC 2 on a saturday night for the next ten weeks

Not only will you see the immortal MR T

you'll also see (hopefully) some classic eighties films

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

member formerly known as hank hill

10. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Pooch

Totally agree with you about Nikita - a superb film that far outclasses the tacky Hollywood remake 'The Assassin'.

Totally disagree with you regarding Midnight Run - again a great and funny film, but please don't compare it to B. Hills Cop.

11. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Ill try and get round to watching RAGING BULL this afternoon !

What about SCARFACE should I get the R2 version soon to be released ?

I guess ill have to tune into BBC2 on Saturdays for I LOVE THE EIGHTYS to get some idea of what films I missed out on in my younger years

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    SOK<

"Midnight Run - don't compare it to B. Hills Cop."

I gather you don't like "Beverly Hills Cop" then?!

Admittedly, regardless of this, the two things that link them are a) actor John Ashton (very funny guy) and b) the fact they are both hilarious, riotous and very, very profane!

Just something I noticed...

Pooch

P.S. I actually quite like both movies, and think they are both worthy of uttering in the same sentence... However, you are welcome to disagree. :)

13. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    I have MIDNIGHT RUN and yes it is very good, almost as good as BEVERLY HILLS COP which i really enjoyed.

Today I spent a fortune and got hold of the following films

BOUND
    PATRIOT
    ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES JOLLY BOYS OUTING

these were 3 for £40 at WH SMITH and I had £15 worth of vouchers. Im a huge ONLY FOOLS fan and have worn out my videos so I got this. Yet to see the other two films at all, but understand that BOUND is very good.

MOONSTRUCK
    GROUNDHOG DAY

these were 2 for £30 at VIRGIN and I had a £10 gift voucher. I love GROUNDHOG DAY but have never seen MOONSTRUCK although my girlfriend says its great.

also revieved the following from PLAY

HOLLOW MAN
    WAY OF THE GUN
    CIRCUS
    AMERICAN BEAUTY
    and GOLDENEYE

I have GOLDENEYE on LD but the 2nd disc got broke at a party. I HATED AMERICAN BEAUTY at cinema but NOBODY else has ever said a bad word about it so im gonna give it another go and at least it has a DTS soundtrack.

Currently I have shortlisted the following films what do you think of them ?

PREDATOR DTS
    UNTOUCHABLES
    BEVERLY HILLS COP
    OFFICER AND GENTLEMEN
    HARRY MET SALLY
    BATTLEFIELD EARTH [​IMG]

14. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You MUST own Taxi Driver. One of the best films ever and I think there is a new Region 1 special edition disc.

15. DaveG

DaveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Talking of films of the 70's and 80's, anyone
    know if it is possible to get "The long good
    Friday". This was the first film I ever bought on tape (betamax).

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and they lived. If someone did that to one of my laserdiscs they'd e hanging off the front of my house with a acrown of thorns.

you must be very liberal.

is it the R1 version of goldeneye as the region 2 version was cut.

infact, whilst i'm on this

get the three bond box sets, they'll keep you entertained.

------------------

18. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    It was not that sort of party. I had a few friends round to watch films and just by accident I broke it [​IMG] bummer I know but now I cang hand the other disc on my wall as a lovely gimmicky mirror type thing !

Yeah I got the R1 version, what was cut from the R2 one ?

19. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

All of the recent James Bond films, that were classified as "12" certificates, were edited to remove minor amounts of excessive violence. Things like kicks, strikes, and punches to the face, neck and stomach - that kind of thing. Basically, the BBFC think that seeing such violence being used without any repurcussions to Bond (et al), could be potentially dmaging to younger viewers. However, there is also the problem, that with modern Bond movies, he has become less of a secret agent, and more of a vigilante-type spy, who uses illegal methods and reasons to save the world from peril. This also concerns the BBFC in a big way. By keeping the films at 12 certificates, they avoid the problems they previously encountered with "Licence To Kill".

Having said all that, "Licence..." is coming out on UK DVD soon, in a new, uncensored US version, complete with restored footage in the film itself, that was previously removed for being too violently explicit. (A guy gets decompressed in a compression chamber, and you see a lot of blood and guts!)

Make of that, what you will.....

Pooch

20. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay Duncan

Must see films on DVD if you haven't already got them.

Dog Day Afternoon - Pacino at his very best... the picture quality and sound won't be great but the acting and the story make up for that.

Deer Hunter - Again it's the acting that makes this film. Superb stuff.

Goodfellas - I'm sure you've already got it - if not why not?

Lawn Dogs - Quirky low budget but brilliant. Again top class acting and directing.

La Femme Nikita - has already been mentioned.

Capricorn One - But DO NOT get the R2 version... it's cheap and nasty. The R1 version is 5.1 and has a better picture.

Rollerball - Futuristic Violence and James caan

Mean Streets - The film that made Scorcese.

Killing Fields - Inspiring and not over sentimental.

Manhunter - Better than Silence of the Lambs.

Suicide Kings - A more recent film but if you haven't got it... get it... Walken is hillarious in it.

Stalingrad - German language but quite simply stunning.

Taxi Driver - Are you talking to me?

White Men Can't Jump - Snipes and Harrelson.

But for all of these... check out www.IMDB.co.uk... you'll get reviews and cast lists and plotlines plus much more... So at least you can get some idea before you buy.

21. James

James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try any of the following:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    The Sting
    Papillon
    The Untouchables
    The Man Who Would Be King
    The Return of Martin Guerre

or go to uk.imdb.com and look at the list of the 250 best films of all time - that should give you some suggestions.

22. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Not got GOOFELLAS on DVD cos its a flipper. Last year was its 10th anniversary so ill wait for the special edition.

I have the new special edition of MANHUNTER on order and hope its as good as the book

23. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparantly, xenia stiching natalya was cut out. That is the only named scene i have heard of. I'm almost certain there are others.

Do you not feel you will be disappointed with the audio from dvd, despite the far superior picture.

I have not yet been overwhelmed by a dvd audio track, mayber i'm buying the wrong discs, but the last two lasers i bought, romeo and juliet and from dusk till dawn both had overwhelming sound.

did you have the Dts goldeneye

Rollerball, suggested later on

did you not think this was a bit ...well not very good anywas, iwas rather underwhelmed.

ahh... another seventies film, although i think you may have it
    enter the dragon

made me wasnt to go have a fight with someone
    it was cool, couldn't get Ash's kung-fu out of my head having watched it.

------------------

24. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a huge chunk of this post has just disappeared!

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, the Jesus H
    but he got bored of that so changed to some latin sh*t
    'which is nice'

25. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Well I have just got hold of a special edition of EMPIRE mag which has reviews of loads of crime movies. After a quick flick through I have realised just how many good films I have not seen and also the out of all the genres I guess this is the prefered.

Does anybody know if THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY is available ? or were I can get hold of the special edition of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS from ? Also has anybody heard anything regading a special edition of GOODFELLAS or THE GODFATHER ?

What other crime genre movies are worth seeing AND have a good quality DVD available

26. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool, but what happened to the rest of this post, it was really long and has now gone
    had loads more films.

Try R3, R1, R0 and laserdiscs for these special ed.'s R2 aint got any special, well real special editions (correct me if i am really wrong, i.e there are lots of them, exc. big boxed sets).

somone's sellin assault on precinct thirteen on the forum.

How's about back to the future or indiana jones, not sure if either of these are on dvd yet, the latter aint.

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, the Jesus H
    but he got bored of that so changed to some latin sh*t
    'which is nice'