1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Thread for peaople in the PW7/HDMI Boat

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PannyAdams, Dec 16, 2004.

1. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK. Given what seems to be a definitive statement that the HDMI card won't support 50hz, quite a few of us are in the same boat - so I thought I'd start a thread off for us to clear the questions and issues we have rather than them getting asked again and again.

I'll kick it off with a few...feel free to jump in with issues of you own and answers.

Does the lack of support for HDMI just effect SKYs plans for HDTV or does it effect HDMI/DVI input from DVDs? (I think the answer is yes it effects PAL discs - so a sub question is will it just display them at a lower res than 720?)

Next question - other than the carriage of sound and convience of connection will the HDMI card have any advantages over the DVI card?

Finally, if as I suspect the DVI and HDMI cards will only play PAL DVDs at a lower res. Will there be any advantages over component progressive scan?

Thanks

BJ

2. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, is there scope for a third party manufacturer to make a proper HDMI card for these screens. (May be a silly question :blush: )

3. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen the full HDMI specification but the consumer FAQ seems a little vague in places. For example, when describing video formats supported it uses phrases like has the capacity and has the flexibility!

Does anyone know what it actually covers in terms of formats? Is it supposed to vary according to the country it's sold in? Or is it just a general global standard?