1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Technics Dvd Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gbmitie, Dec 18, 2001.

1. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I have just acquired a CD - RW and want to copy my LP's to CD and I also want to copy my CD'S especially the ones I really like so I can leave them in the car. BUT I have also got a TECHNICS SH- DV170, it has a 5 DVD/CD changer, HOWEVER I have just discovered that it will not play a CD that has been copied, the car CD player will, along with a portable CD player and an old Technics SL CH900.

Does anyone konw a fix or way round this?

GBMITIE

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Looks like it's a player that doesn't like CDR/CDRW discs.
    Only option is to replace the player with one that supports recorded disks.

Sorry :(

3. jawa

jawa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I also have the same Technics 5 DISC DVD player and it cannot play CDR'S CD-RW's etc...I think it mentions this in the manual.

Unfurtunately I don't know of a way around this as I guess it's the actual laser that is the restriction?? It's not as if you can get it chipped or something??

I currently have a CD Walkman (which can play CDR's) connected to the rear aux ports to allow me to play CDR's through the Technics. Annoying but it works.

Another big problem is that you obviously can't play any VCD's you create on your PC.....luckily I also have a Wharfedale 750 DVD player which can play CDR's etc...

I imagine there is NOT a solution to this CDR problem?? Is it a deliberate attempt by Technics to combat copy protection violation????

:-(

4. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Possibly, the Technics A10 won't play CDR / RW's either.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Sounds like its got a dual focus laser & not a separate one for cd & another for dvd.

My old panasonic dvd player has the same problem.

Players like this cant play CDR/RW discs.

cheers

6. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks guys for all the replies, I half expected the answer would be a no go. Silly me for not doing a bit more checking before I bought the kit but I did get it at a big discount! It also has TRI AMPING which I would not recommend to anybody especially if u wnat to upgarde your speaker cable!!! Imagine 3 pairs to each speaker!! and it only tri amps when palying stereo radio/cd's.

GBMITIE

7. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    gbmittie

There is a way round this, I think it has a lot to do with the colour and/or quality of the blank discs you use.

I remember reading on a motor forum of a guy who had a car cd player that wouldn't read copied discs. People suggested then it was down to the colour/quality of the disc - it worked!

You may want to try and find further advice on this before giving up.

I have little knowledge on this I'm afraid, but thought this suggestion may be worth pursuing.

Perhaps anyone else could clarify on this?

8. jawa

jawa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have also heard about different coloured/brand CDR's having different results on different hardware....

For example I have a 6 disc Alpine CD changer in my car and it has problems playing certain CDR's...Maxell being a problem. TraxData CDR's play perfectly however.

I don't think this will solve the Technics laser problem though...I have certainly tried several different brands without success.

I also would not of bought this Technics system if I had known before hand that it cant play CDR's. It never occured to me at the time of purchase.

9. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks again, and I will pursue it a bit further. I had already tried 2 different typore od CD R's, MEMOREX, which I like, ie no trouble so far, and CD-74 from MR DATA, these are ****e but luckily I got a pack of ten free so they are going in the bin. I will do a bit more searching. If I get ones to work I will be forever indebted to the Company that makes them. I will also flag to TECHNICS and imply I want a total refund! Apparently it says in the blurb somehwere that CD-R's will not play but I will ignore that.

Merry XMas to all.

GBMITIE

10. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    This is the reply I got from Pana/Technics:

"
    In response, I would explain that the SC DV170 unit is designed to play DVD/ Video CD/CD DA discs only. This unit is not designed to play CDRs or blank discs. Your other units can play these, as some machines will allow you to play CDRs even if not compatible, but this would be luck I'm afraid. "

gb