A technical question about the 360 and monitor resolutions..

N

nellu

Hi everyone.

Im trying to find an answer to my questions, and even though ive read a lot, im still confused! Basically, what it is is this. My LCD monitor has a native res of 1680 x 1050. I use the VGA cable to plug my 360 into it (no component input sadly), and the highest res I can go to is 1360x768, although I have it set to 1280x768 as i have read this is the best setting for 16:10 displays (can anyone confirm this though? I read it here http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/40/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/p1/ )

When I play the games, the graphics look great, nice and sharp, Call of Duty is amazing. But, the menu's for the games (Quake 4 in particular), some of the HUD's in the game (like the speedo and map in Need for Speed) and the actual 360 dashboard dont look so good (not terrible, but not the best). They are pixalated and not sharp at all, like when you set your PC to the wrong display setting and windows looks rubbish.

So my question(s) are: Does the resolution dictate certain parts of the game, like the menus and such like, then the onboard scaler goes to work when the actual gamplay starts?

Can the 360 output to 1680 x 1050, just for the dashboard and menu's? I have also read that the 360 wont produce 1080i but do something with 540p doubled (or something,im not technacally mindedlike that!) so im not worried about gameplay been at that res, its good enough as it is (720 upscaled I guess)

And finally, just for a bit of peace of mind, is there anyone else out there with a native res of 1680 x 1050? How does the dash and menu's look to you? it would help to have some sort of comparison with my monitor.

Sorry its so long winded. I hope to find some answers, and if this post can help anyone else, all the better.

Thankyou.

Nellus

xXTwin BladeXx

Novice Member
nellu said:
Hi everyone.

Im trying to find an answer to my questions, and even though ive read a lot, im still confused! Basically, what it is is this. My LCD monitor has a native res of 1680 x 1050. I use the VGA cable to plug my 360 into it (no component input sadly), and the highest res I can go to is 1360x768, although I have it set to 1280x768 as i have read this is the best setting for 16:10 displays (can anyone confirm this though? I read it here http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/40/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/p1/ )

When I play the games, the graphics look great, nice and sharp, Call of Duty is amazing. But, the menu's for the games (Quake 4 in particular), some of the HUD's in the game (like the speedo and map in Need for Speed) and the actual 360 dashboard dont look so good (not terrible, but not the best). They are pixalated and not sharp at all, like when you set your PC to the wrong display setting and windows looks rubbish.

So my question(s) are: Does the resolution dictate certain parts of the game, like the menus and such like, then the onboard scaler goes to work when the actual gamplay starts?

Can the 360 output to 1680 x 1050, just for the dashboard and menu's? I have also read that the 360 wont produce 1080i but do something with 540p doubled (or something,im not technacally mindedlike that!) so im not worried about gameplay been at that res, its good enough as it is (720 upscaled I guess)

And finally, just for a bit of peace of mind, is there anyone else out there with a native res of 1680 x 1050? How does the dash and menu's look to you? it would help to have some sort of comparison with my monitor.

Sorry its so long winded. I hope to find some answers, and if this post can help anyone else, all the better.

Thankyou.

Nellus

OMG i have the exact same problem!!! the native res on my monitor is 1440x900 and the dashboard looks very pixelated and not sharp and i noticed it again on PGR3 when you finish a reace and it tells you who came first and what number of points everyone got, the writing looked awful!! but the in-game looks amazing and so does the PC when I have set it to my correct resolution. So yeah, could anyone help us?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom