• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

liveforav

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I love this one

Sirloin Roast - Quality Beef & Meat Online: Scottish Butchers Donald Russell

slightly over budget though.

I've not tried either of your options to vote, they both look delicious though I don't fully understand what is different between them, they both appear to be beef rib roasts, yet you seem to get more for your money with one of them and that one has been prebutchered yet I'd have expected that to increase the cost not decrease it so I'm obviously missing something.

I doubt you are going to go wrong though so I wouldn't fret your choice, I'm not convinced Donald Russell is always worth the money but I've never been disapointed with the quality of anything from them.

Last edited:
More talk of this Donald Russell butcher.
Only a few miles from here.
Yet I don't know a single person who goes there.
I'm not denying their meat might be good, but if it's so good then how come I don't know anyone willing to drive 5 miles to shop there? :confused:

"but if it's so good then how come I don't know anyone willing to drive 5 miles to shop there?"

That's 'cos he delivers.;)

I'm not denying their meat might be good, but if it's so good then how come I don't know anyone willing to drive 5 miles to shop there? :confused:

do they have a shop? concidering their prices they are going to be pretty niche and a big advantage it's the fact it's mail order with a massive collection, great convience and frozen in a way you couldn't do at home.

That's 'cos he delivers.;)

He delivers, or he diz liver? ;)

It is weird though, how they seem to have built up a reputation everywhere else but locally.:confused:
Maybe we're just so spoilt for good meat up here there's no need to go to him.
Whereas people 'darn sarf' need the mail order option.

I might try a bit of veal.
Veal 4-Bone Rib - Main Courses - Christmas Food - Quality Beef & Meat Online: Scottish Butchers Donald Russell
or if its going to be a big, many course sit down , you could get away with a fillet log and carve it nice and thin.
Centre Cut Fillet Log - Fillet - Beef - Meat - Quality Beef & Meat Online: Scottish Butchers Donald Russell
Of your two choices above, the 2 bone rib roast would be my pick, cook it nice and slowly mind you.

Good luck.

The fillet is nice for 4, I personally wouldn't buy it for 6. The fillet was the nicest roast I've ever had but despite that the improvement didn't justify the cost.

Darn you Sonic, I'm now hungry!!!!

I voted for the Carvery Rib Roast, I think it would be fantastic for your Christmas lunch

"He delivers, or he diz liver?"
:D

"Whereas people 'darn sarf' need the mail order option."
Like Auchenblae?:laugh:

My Mum (no mean cook in her own right) recommended him to me (Arbroath), he supplies most of the local butchers and decent restaurants (like Sauchieburn, Creel, Ramsay Arms, etc) round here.

I think the carvery one would be a more impressive centre piece and don't forget it's £10 off so would normally be more expensive :)

We had the DR boneless rib roast last year (and year before actually)

Very nice and much easier carving when you are in a rush. And yes I know its prolly better flavour bone-in

This year though we have a boneless rib from M an S. Wife gets 20% staff discount. Marks one is stuffed with horseradish butter and get v good reviews

Last edited:

I think they're online-only. We're a few miles down the road from you but always use DR for special occasion type food - it's fantastic quality. My sister in law gave us £200 worth of DR meat as a Christmas present...om nom nom.

Their burgers, lasagnes and desserts are also delicious - just thought I'd recommend them as people might not normally consider them when browsing their site.

The problem with Donald Russel is once you've shopped their they keep sending you frequent glossy brochers where everything looks amazing and it's hard not to keep buying.

They must spend a fortune sending those things out.

I think they're online-only. We're a few miles down the road from you but always use DR for special occasion type food - it's fantastic quality. My sister in law gave us £200 worth of DR meat as a Christmas present...om nom nom.

Their burgers, lasagnes and desserts are also delicious - just thought I'd recommend them as people might not normally consider them when browsing their site.

I love the meatloaf :blush:

The five o clock deadline has passed and I wonder which one he plumped for.

Being a traditionalist I've gone for a farm bred free range turkey as it's the one day (or week) a year that I will eat one and I'm well aware that it won't be as tasty as a really good piece of beef.

I just ordered two ribs from our local farm shop.

That's two seperate ribs -one of which will be cooked rare, the other medium-well.

Our farm shops gives excellent vfm, and we'll get the two for c.£20.

Just enjoy!

Steve W

I'm sure they will be delicious and there is £30 saved. (Edit - opps sorry I thought sonic had changed his mind and gone with the farm shop)

We've gone Free Range turkey too from an ethical butcher, it's £65 I think for a 6kg one *ouch* but it's nice to support the local business and they are lovely people and I'm sure it will be great. They also do sausages wrapped in bacon and some sausage meat stuffing which I'm looking forward too and fillet steaks for Christmas Eve dinner :)

So excited for christmas.:D

Last edited:
The five o clock deadline has passed and I wonder which one he plumped for.

Being a traditionalist I've gone for a farm bred free range turkey as it's the one day (or week) a year that I will eat one and I'm well aware that it won't be as tasty as a really good piece of beef.

And the winner is Carvery Rib Roast thank you folks :)

and fillet steaks for Christmas Eve dinner :)

Four years ago we went to stay with my sister in Sydney for Christmas and their tradition is oysters and prawns for Christmas Eve. The local fishmonger normally had a superb spread of fish that I'd never heard of let alone seen but on Christmas Eve there are yards and yards of oysters and prawns on display and nothing else

All these posts have got me thinking that after christmas I'm going to try a different roast each month, next up will be the wagu beef :) (thanks Ian)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom