1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A success story of sorts and a thanks...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Majik, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, directly or indirectly, you wonderful people here on the AVS have helped me set up my first HC sound system. Make no mistake - my visuals suck, but I like my music too, so the audio came first. From my first step in threemonths ago with a RS deal, I upgraded last month to Boston Acoustics setup with a PSW1000 sub. Hardly up with most of you, but I have always been one to make the most of what I have got.

The point being, I studied post after post regarding speaker positioning, tips on sub levels etc and have tweaked for almost three weeks now. My GF currently hates me :)

However, there is a very happy end to this story. Last night, the Gf and I sat down to watch a couple of flicks (On the 32" five year old 4:3 TV!!!) with my newly tweaked audio system. Wow. Monsters Inc was a revelation, and seemed even funnier when you could hear voices nattering in the background, plus the added drama of the sub finally tuned in so it can be felt without being heard (best way I can describe it...).

We then progressed to PhoneBooth R1 (After beating my HTPC to death as the XCard spat out the R1 disc until I discovered a wonderful little app!). I loved this film at the cinema, but DAMN! We were there! The suspense, the shock - absolutely superb! I can honestly say I enjoyed it more at home than at the flicks, and I love the flicks!

So now I am very happy with how it's setup, the GF is moving the room 90 degrees, but I'm thoroughly lookiing forward to resetting everything up with a better positioning of the rear speakers, as it'll be available from the new setup. Expect a post or ten :) Plus, I can try and convince the Gf we need a bigger, better TV or the DLP fixing so i can finally get a permanent screen up and truly revel in HC goodness.

I'm rambling, aren't I? Believe it or not, there is a point to this post. From a newbie to a convert in three months. It wouldn't have been possible without these forums and you very helpful people on them. I know more now than I could ever have imagined - a bit of researching of posts for each problem, and I now consider that I have a pretty damn fine sounding setup for peanuts (Comparitively..), and running a SHERWOOD amp!! (Stop laughing at the back!). So an official thankyou to the AVS guys and girls, and a message for newbies - read!!! Then read again! Then read some more! Then search and read!! Then ask the question! It really is all here...

So I'm off now to convince one of my students to grab me a proper Dolby Digital sign from the cinema he works at :)

Majik

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol...."This bedroom is THX certified."

Anyway only to glad to help, and that goes to all the other people as well, half the fun is getting there IMO! :smashin:

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,972
    This is what it's all about:D

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,131
    Enjoy your new set up, and hope you stay around long enough for us to help with your upgrades ;)

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,972
    Hear hear:D

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,131
    :rotfl:

I don't remember writing that!:rolleyes: :smashin:

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If the bug has now bit him....then that will prob be next month.

8. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lol - nope, it's the front room. I've managed to convince the GF to turn half of it into a dedicted HC without her even realising!! :)

Only problem is getting a 7.1 setup into a room this small, and getting the effect.

Majik

9. kenlong69

kenlong69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Your best bet is to get some bi-pole rears if your seating area is close to the wall. Worked for me!

ken

10. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Close to the wall? It's against it!! Unfortunately, I have to use what I have now - I have four Boston Acoustic 90x's to use for the four rear surrounds, on a three seater leather sofa put into an alcove.

So I have a foot and a bit of wall either side of the sofa, running parrallel with the arms about a foot away from the arms, and the back of the sofa against the wall, but there is a decent back on the sofa - say a foot?

Nasty, eh?

Any ideas?

Majik

11. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In that configuration I wouldn't bother with 7.1... Or if you're dead set on it, try siting the two rear speakers a fair bit above your seating position, angled down. It could work...

Dunc

12. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Genuinely not worth bothering with? I thought about the two rear effect speakers being wall attached to the ceiling (pointing directly down), and hoping the waves would travel nicely down the walls to hit us from the rear. Yay or nay?

Majik